main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Cool man!

2. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Ah thoughts so.

3. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012

That's kind of like saying a Doctor is the Father of IVF/Test tube kids!

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's great! Never seen it before.

5. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Perhaps it was the good of the Force that brought Anakin about and Palpatine corrupted him!

6. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Plus, would you believe a word out of Palpatine's mouth? I sure wouldn't!

7. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Tolkein once said that "unexplored vistas" add to the richness of the world. Somethings should be left a mystery to leave us wondering. A little mystery adds to the experience (Tom Bombadil anyone?)

All we have from ROTS (which is the only cannon on him IMO) is what Palpatine said. And there is a chance (going on only what we heard in ROTS) that Palpatine made the whole thing up. Or maybe he didn't. Who knows? Unexplored vistas. Added richness.

Not a mention of Plags in the ST, please. Get us someone new.

8. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I understand your thoughts. Though Lucas was heavily involved in his novel. I understand why some do not consider it canon. I completely Palpatine was telling the truth though. You don't get that evil of a smile telling a fake story. I love how he did that scene. Very chilling.

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    He was telling the truth... from a certain point of view. :D

10. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah, and before that there was Sauron. And the good guys can come back from the dead too (i.e. Gandalf). The difference is, Plageuis wasn't the main villain before. It's not cheesy the way bringing back the Emperor himself would have been..

11. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Please no resurrected Boba Fett. Despite being a SW fan since I was about five years old (I'm 36 now), I've never quite understood the whole Boba Fett obsession that some fans have. He never really appealed to me that much as a character. I don't mean that you're obsessed with him, by the way.

12. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    The scenes between Anakin and Sidious, especially the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis story, are the best scenes in ROTS, IMO.

I totally get your point about Lucas' involvement in the story but I'm still not sure that makes it cannon, after all Lucas approves of all EU and he has contradicted some in the PT. But I don't wanna go into that whole debate in this thread.

I think we just have a difference of opinion. You believe Palpatines story was true and read the book. I feel knowing all that kills some of the magic, at least for me. So I prefer the ambiguity ;)

Fleab88 likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought Palpatine was probably telling Anakin the truth in ROTS, and I loved how much pleasure he took in apparently claiming to have killed Plagueis himself. He's just beaming when he says "... but not himself." But I also like how it left it a little ambiguous, much like it did surrounding Anakin's own origins.

I got about halfway through the Darth Plagueis novel before I gave up on it (and read the summary on Wookiepedia to make sure I wasn't missing anything good :p).

14. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    T
    Totally get that.

gregvader123 likes this.
  15. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Ah yes, but if we assume that Palpatine was Plags apprentice then Palpatine should know the secret to cheating death, as Plags knew this and according to the story, taught his apprentice everything he knew. Why then did Sidious tell Vader they needed to work together to discover the secret that only one had achieved? Shouldn't he already know? He's contradicting himself. It makes you think "whats really going on here?" Did he make it up or is he withholding that knowledge to keep Vader under his thumb?Either way he is being deceitful in ways we don't know.

I love ambiguity.

Darth_Quintonis and Count Yubnub like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh yes, he's definitely being deceitful about some part of it, and I think that includes something related to how much Plagueis really knew. What I think was probably true was that Plagueis really was Palpatine's master and Palpatine really killed him in his sleep. I also doubt Palpatine would have killed him if he thought there was still anything left to learn from Plagueis.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Plaugeis is a bit of a big deal to just be mentioned in one scene and not touched on ever again. You could either see it as the closest we'll ever get to a Palpatine origin story or layering in a bad guy for the ST. And, as Garry Kurtz mentioned, Lucas' original outline had the Emperor dying in the final part of the saga so you could just take the outline and do a find & replace from "The Emperor" to "Plaugeis". He could easily be shoved into continuity "Muah-ah-ah-ha! I was manipulating Sidious the whole time!" Big Bad Sith Lord reveal.

Ryus and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  18. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    I think that's stretching things a bit.

V-2 likes this.
  19. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Not going to happen. End of Thread.

Well should of been two pages ago. I see no good reason at all to do this.

20. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Not everyone will have the same opinion though. While you are looking into your crystal ball though could you tell me the winning lottery numbers?

21. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Or I can use common sense and say that it's extremely unlikely they will bring a character like that into the film who is dead and no one really cares about. Maybe Jar Jar's evil twin mentioned when he falls and hits his head and falls unconscious (deleted scene...) will also be in Episode 7? .I think it's more fair to say that if I don't like a thread I should refrain posting in it .

Come on the only function of this thread is to speculate silly ideas because all we have to go off of is the first 6 films. Why would they ever use a character like that in episode 7?
    With all the creativity it would take to work him in, why not just use an original story and character? No need to robe the dead , I'm sure Disney can be creative and give life to new characters. I don't think they are so desperate that they are clinging to characters obscurely mentioned in the PT...

Well, you guys are entitled to post intelligent, creative thoughtful things any where you wish on these forums. But I think it's a pretty silly idea even if my post is the most un insightful and non creative one in this thread.

I really hope Disney can focus on a new vilian. I don't care who trained palpatine...I don't care whose shoes he stoled. He's DEAD and so is his legacy dead. Bringing up old characters so closely tied to him just brings back his legacy, and well I saw that in the first 6 movies....

If Disney wants to do a "new story" then it's really time to move on and not have movies about Palpatine's long lost brother or master resurrected from the dead...

Jesus it's beating a dead horse, it's clinging onto old story lines and it looks desperate almost pathetic and lacks alot of initiative, imagination. If they want to try something interesting, new they won't bring up old dead corpses and drag skeletons out of the closet giving us dry story lines.

The evil palpatine's master still lives! DUN DUN DUN...who cares? Palpatine is dead and I don't care about his dead evil master either. DEAD IS DEAD. Move on...

New story line, New legacy , new vilian, new vilian's legacy...

PLEASE

V-2 and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  22. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    No.

let me tell you a little story about a man named 'No.'

No - even before you start. That was a pre-emptive 'No'.

Right now I've got a whole bag of 'No', with this thread's name on it.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  23. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Fair enough. That is your opinion. Personally I don't care either way as long as the story is good. Very confused on why you think other people's opinions don't deserve a thread though. It seems incredibly close minded.

24. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, it's not fair any ways. I have given my opinion so now it's official. I was being more fair as soon as I gave an opinion. So, it's already been worked through.
    Oh well , each to their own.

25. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    I am completely lost by this post. Could you elaborate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.