main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jon Favreau and David Fincher Pursuing 'Star Wars'

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Nov 30, 2012.

1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Yes, the voice.

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Probably! Ah well that's him stuck with the voice of a New Zeland sheep farmer!

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Fincher is a talented guy. If he's in, throw Sorkin on the project--"The Star Network." Let the fast-paced, reference laden, witty banter ensue.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Look, no one is saying that Fincher is a hack or anything. Just this: how many family friendly blockbusters Fincher has made? Has he ever changed his unique style to adapt to the existing body of work?

5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Ugh. [face_sick]

krtmd likes this.
  6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Does it matter? Do you honestly think the man isn't talented enough to make a family friendly movie?

Got an example for you, Martin Scorsese. Every movie he's made has been hard R. Well until....

[​IMG]

yodasbum, krtmd and Darthsuggs like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Benjamin Butten was a PG in the UK.

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Sure, directors can try something
    "The Age of Innocence", "Kundun" and "The Aviator" weren't R. Scorcese is quite diverse. Of course, he's been around a lot longer.

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Sorkin on Star Wars? I'll be in my bunk.

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Ah, but were they family friendly? ;)

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It was a joke.

12. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Not sure if Harrison Ford would be fond with Fincher's 87 takes lol. Gotta give it to the guy, he wants to get things perfect. Exact opposite of Kershner's one takes.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's because Kershner got it perfect beforehand. :p The Making Of TESB has some incredibly exhaustive Kershner-Ford-Fisher conversations about scenes.

Echo-07, krtmd and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  14. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I like Kirshner's approach. It was smart considering the pressure he was under. Obviously he delivered a great film with very memorable shots. Just saying that isn't Fincher's MO, the one shot thing. It rubs some actors the wrong way. See Robert Duvall's comments about it. Ford was notorious for being a little miffed at Ridley Scott's directing during Blade Runner.

Echo-07 and DarthBoba like this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He didn't write that? I'd never heard that before. That was the thing I liked least about that movie. I always blamed it on Whedon. It took me years to become a Whedon fan, all because of that script.

16. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    A bad one. :(

17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    In his script the beast not only looked different but was also a killing machine just like the rest. There was no baby xeno wanting his mommy. Just a very big chimera who wanted ripley dead.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    How about all these directors getting a shot.

Episode VII: Matthew Vaughn.

Episode VIII: David Fincher.

Episode IX: Jon Favreau.

Echo-07 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I never said it didn't have western influences and if you read my further posts you will see this. GL has said many times that he felt the Western was the last great American Myth, which I happen to agree. I really love Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter. Two classic westerns that also happen to be myths. Lastly, regarding westerns, you mentioned two elements of SW that borrows directly from the western, but as I also stated there are alot of different myths represented by SW.

As for the Avengers, even though I haven't seen it yet (and definitely want to) its success wasn't because of Joss Whedon. The plan before even Whedon was to introduce the characters beforehand in their own movies then bring them together. Without a half dozen movies setting up the Avengers I wonder if it would have been as successful?

20. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Favreau is overrated, I'm sorry. Cowboys & Aliens anyone?

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Favreau would be okay, but not the best choice. Fincher is a great director but would be completely wrong for the same reasons Nolan would be. Plus he'd probably want to shoot on the Red and make everything look like bland mud. Blech.

22. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    ^:)^

23. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    That is the exact order I was thinking of. I think that this order would work really well. I don't think any of them have a serious dud on their CV's and all three have proven that they can make quality films with great acting. I think Alien 3 is better than the reviews have made out. It is a good sequel to Alien, in fact as someone mentioned it is almost a remake, but suffers in coming after Alens. I don't think that Fincher is to blame for the quality of Alien 3 and many involved in the process of making the film argue the studio suits messed that film up.

Fincher is intelligent enough to make a great Star Wars film and his films have been laced with humour so I think he has the potential to create a film that's sits with the tone of the SW saga especially films like ROTS and ESB. The issue might be which episode each director wants. I think SW are more straight jacketed than other films because of the structure if the film and film techniques such as very limited slow mo or no split scenes. If i was a director I would be particularly interested in working on VIII as the one which often develops the story the most. Maybe if given a choice I would shy away from IX because it is harder to make a quality third film. But VII offers the best opportunity to make your personal stamp through things like casting.

Any way a combination of Matthew, David and John would be great.

24. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    "Tone" is right word to use here. Out of these two guys: "Favreau vs Fincher", Favreau seems to have a "tone" better suited to Star Wars. Also there is that gut feeling. Listening to Favreau in interviews, he just seems like a "regular" Star Wars fan. Almost his "lack" of style is what is needed to do a good Star Wars movie. SW has enough on it's own to work, amplifying it with a "dark style" or some artistic form just gets in the way.

Initially when the Disney buyout news hit, I couldn't imagine anyone (still alive) but Lucas directing. As time went on, I started being a little more open minded and somehow Favreau wormed his way to the top of my list. Also it didn't hurt him to have done a voice on TCW ;)

25. Gilad bel Iblis

Gilad bel Iblis Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012
    It was fun but not a masterpiece. No SW movie was ever a masterpiece. So i say let's have the Favreau.

-NaTaLie- and phatdude1138 like this.