main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Conspiracy Theory on Lucas, Disney and Episode 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Dec 1, 2012.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    After reading a lot of these speculation threads and whatever news is being put out by Disney and Lucasfilm, I started to put together a wild conspiracy theory. Try to stay with me on this one:

It's been reported that over Lucas' long history with Star Wars that he wanted to make only the OT, or the whole saga, or even "9 films". We all know when he made SW, he didn't know if it was going to be a success, so he started with the "middle" story: ANH. When it became a success he finished off the OT with pretty great results.

Lucas grew his "empire" off that success with all his spin offs: Pixar, ILM, Lucas Arts, Skywalker Sound, THX, etc.. When the time was right (supposedly with the success ILM had on Jurassic Park), he decided the technology existed to clean up the OT and start on the PT. His first real criticism from fans was the Special Edition, especially surrounding "Han shooting first". I say that wasn't a big deal compared to what was to come.

Once TPM was released, the onslaught of the "PT Haters" came. And it wasn't just fans, it was the media, others in Hollywood, etc. The hate grew as he finished the PT. Even with all the "hate" the PT brought in tons of money and spawned even more SW merchandising and more spin offs (EU, TCW, new Star Tours, etc).

As early as January of this year (during the release of Red Tails) Lucas was asked will he make more SW films and he stated "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Finally today when I read Disney Chief Alan Horn said "George Lucas is the godfather of that franchise and very, very involved on a consulting basis".. The word "godfather" stuck out in that statement, and then it hit me, my conspiracy theory is compete:

Lucas' life's work has been SW. It seems unfathomable that he'd give it up. We know he didn't need the money. I think he WANTED to do the ST! And we know he could have, he had the means and the funds. However could he take the ridicule of the fans and everyone else once again over another 9 years of movie making? The stress well into his 80s? Does he want to "go out" with people hating the PT and the ST?! NO. But he wanted to make them.

So what did he do? He semi-sold his soul to the devil: He sold the rights away and he is merely a "consultant" now. I think this is a brilliant move. In my theory, he'll be MORE THAN a consultant, he'll be the puppet master pulling the strings. It's already been stated that he’s already got treatments of the seventh, eighth, and ninth movies ready to be turned into films. None of us have access to the contracts that Disney has with the writers, directors, etc. They may state that Lucas has "final say" on things "as a consultant". We just don't know. The reasons I believe this theory:

• Lucas is too protective over SW to let it just "go" without some control.
    • It's been stated that he will be a consultant that is "very, very" involved. Even using the word "godfather" (almost sinister sounding like you wouldn't want to cross him)
    • They may pick a Director friendly to Lucasfilm (Jon Favreau or Joe Johnson)
    • Lucas will be absolved from any future FAILURE of the ST, blaming all the new Directors and Writers for NEW fan hate.
    • Assists in his retirement: he gets the films done, his way, but doesn't have to be on the job day to day. He can merely overlord from afar.
    This isn't normal for most folks as director, writers, film makers in general, because are trying climb the Hollywood ladder. Always looking to their future. Their next big project. Making more cash. In Lucas' case, he's done it all: He's a legendary filmmaker, a billionaire, a technology innovator. The only thing he has to do is make it out of this life on a good note. If the ST is a success, he may not get a lot of credit, but it might help him with the PT haters somewhat. If the ST fails, then people will say "dang, I guess other people CAN screw it up worse than Lucas", which reduces the hate people have for him.

I know this is a wild theory, and maybe it's not true at all. However, maybe it is true, from a certain point of view.. ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Was Lucas on the grassy knoll?

3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    No but a bounty hunter by the name of Jango Fett was. He used kamino saberdart, these funny little cuts on the side that give it away...

4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    From the Middle point of the PT ( half way thru AOTC ) to the end of the ROTS you had some awesome stuff equal to the OT so Lucas got on the right track , ROTS in alot of peoples eyes is better than ROTJ so really he could have done the ST with Lucas films because he learnt from his mistakes but he's got a bit old now & wants to semi retire so he sold Lucas film to a company he thought could do star wars justice ! so no conspiracy at all .

5. Gpatton

Gpatton Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I just want to point out a couple things on his "empire". IMHO Lucas was horrible as a CEO type. No doubt some home runs happened but Lucas Arts has been the WORST ran company I have just about ever seen. Drug dealing pimps could have ran that company and made more money. They put out more crap then a Ranchor after Thanksgiving. It's sad a true software company manager didn't build a quality group of developers sooner for SW.

Second is Pixar may have been started by Lucas, but he has nothing to do with it's success. This company owes where it is today 100% to Steve Jobs and the story tellers like John Lasseter. I'd even make the argument Hiyao miyazaki could claim more credit for the success for Pixar then Lucas. The only thing Lucas can say is he sold it to the right people. Lets hope he's done the same thing again!

6. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Lucas sold because capital gains tax are changing in the US, if he waited another 6 months it would have cost him a billion dollars.

7. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Eh nah!

8. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Personally I think he only made the PT, to replenish his bank account after his divorce cleaned him out!

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    not sure I see a conspiracy. you've basically gave an overview of exactly what's transpired to date, all out in the open. We know he sold to Disney, we know he wanted to retire from movies, he's never really been a part of the Hollywood in-scene, stays on as a consultant - pushing off his last ideas on to a new generation that can make the films that he doesn't want to do any more. I mean, have you seen him lately...the dude just looked plain tired of it all.

And I don't think he sold his soul to Disney or the devil with this deal. In many ways, over the years he had become the Empire in his movies. He's now freed from all of that.

I just see a guy who wanted out.

kataja likes this.
  10. Gilad bel Iblis

Gilad bel Iblis Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012

I am not aware of the supposed fact that SW actors starred in too much soap previously.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  11. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Its just movies and business. Put more energy into enjoying things in your life, not figuring out lucas' mind.

Its creepy

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is the way I see it too. Lucas is in his mid-60s IIRC. I think he's just done. Maybe he did want to do a sequel trilogy but wasn't sure he'll have the energy for it over the next 10 years or more. The sale to Disney and the inclusion of their staff and resources is the best way to do this. Plus it keeps his franchise alive for the many more years, for as long as Disney decides that it will be profitable. And it opens more doors--an expansion of Star Tours into a theme park by itself, anyone? I'm in, and not just because I need another "My other vehicle is an X-wing" bumper sticker.

I'm not seeing any conspiracy here for Lucas to micromanage the new films and be able to pass the blame if they suck.

DarthKreVass and eht13 like this.
  13. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Lucas has become the Emperor. It was unavoidable, it is his destiny.
    More on topic: I think he was burned out with SW because of the feedback from the PT. When/if he realized that SW wasn't 100% success BECAUSE of him, but sometimes DESPITE of him, it must have hurt his ego. I think he deep down has always wanted to have three trilogies (or three movies originally, but there turned out to be too much content, so each movie became a trilogy in his mind), especially when he first started work on the PT. I'm sure he has planned this a while. There's a reason he has written the treatments already. It's still his story, but it's up to someone else to flesh it out and make it good.
    Is it a conspiracy theory? No. If it was, they wouldn't say it was his treatments on the very first press release, and they wouldn't say he was very, very involved. The puppet master is usually in the dark, and rarely has big spotlights on him.

While I agree with you, if everyone did that, there would be no discussion forums on the internet. (if you replace "lucas' mind" with any interest)

14. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    You write with the assumption that Lucas had a 9 episode plan all along. Lucas intended to make only one film, as if in the middle of a serial. Then he thought about sequels. At one point they would be continuous like James Bond with different directors. At another point he decided on 12 movies, and seemed to settle with 9, only later to deny it calling it the "rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker" which was very far removed from his original concept. The fact is, George makes this up as he goes along. This isn't to say that's a bad thing. I think Lucas is a storytelling genius.

My guess is that Lucas does see Star Wars as his life work, which it is. That's why he wants to allow a sequel trilogy, so that his contribution to cinema will live on. I don't, however, think that necessitates much involvement from Lucas. He likely is giving them his original concepts for 7, 8, and 9, though he has said at times that the outline of these stories is very rough. I think he really is passing the torch. The rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin is Lucas' story. The rest is in other hands.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He even admits it!

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he just wants to retire. He's tired. I think "sellers-remorse" is an inevitability somewhere down the line (it always comes in some shape or form), but nonetheless I'm sure a great weight has been lifted from his shoulders. End of. I really don’t see any conspiracy here. Disney, Kennedy and Lucas have all been very open about what’s happening.

17. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I don't think the ST failing would vindicate the popular notion (on the net anyway) that "Lucas' ideas are ALWAYS better than ANYONE ELSE'S because he's Da Artiste/Auteur!!!"

18. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    He actually did plan more than one movie, had material written for a a lot more than one movie and held back to see if the first was a success, allowing him to complete the story!

19. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    Read "the Secret History of Star Wars." Don't believe Lucas' revisionist history.

20. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    This is what Gary Kurtz said back in the day:

When the time came to produce ROTJ, Kurtz was unhappy with the story direction Lucas was taking. He felt that it was too much of a rehash of the first films with no real challenges. At the same time, Jim Henson was inviting him to produce his experimental film, Dark Crystal, which he chose instead.

Kurtz gave TPM a mixed review as he was clouded by plans made for Episode 1 back in the early 70s. As someone involved with Star Wars from the initial concepts, Kurtz revealed the original intentions for the nine films as they were laid out BEFORE 1980. Very interesting.

EPISODE 1: Was to focus on the origins of the Jedi Knights and how they are initiated and trained
    EPISODE 2: Introduction and development of Obi-Wan Kenobi
    EPISODE 3: Introduction and life of Vader
    EPISODE 4: There were seven different drafts of the film. At one point, they pursued buying the rights to Hidden Fortress because of the strong similarities. At one point, Luke was a female, Han was Luke's brother, Luke's father was the one in prison (interesting point for some debates) and the film featured 40 wookies
    EPISODE 5: Once written, the screenplay of Empire is almost exactly what is seen on screen. The only cut scenes were those involving wampas in the rebel base (cut because of time and unsolved technical glitches) and about two minutes of Luke/Yoda Jedi training with no real dialog.
    EPISODE 6: Leia was to be elected "Queen of her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted Vader and went on with his life alone. Leia was not to be Luke's sister.
    EPISODE 7: Third trilogy was to focus on Luke's life as a Jedi, with very few details planned out.
    EPISODE 8: Luke's sister (not Leia) appears from another part of the galaxy.
    EPISODE 9: First appearance of the Emperor.

Basically, Lucas changed his plans during ROTJ. He took his plans for 7-8-9 and packaged them in a neat wrap-up in 6.

it makes the most sense to me based on what has transpired.

Krueger likes this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I bet this is the basis for one of these "other movies" Lucas mentioned in the first video with Kathleen Kennedy. I would love to see a film set one thousand years or so before TPM dealing with the Jedi and the Sith.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is all obviously an elaborate April Fool's hoax, and by the time the first trailer pops up it's just going to be a Rick Astley music video.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  24. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    While it's certainly scary and bodes ill for the ST that GL still seems to be wielding such a heavy hand, I don't know if I would call it a conspiracy. Disney and LFL have not been keeping secrets about GL's involvement.

25. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It wasn't Lucas. It was the one-armed man.

phatdude1138 likes this.