main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The problem with lightsaber duels in the Clone Wars...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CobaltBlue, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2010
    But the point is that the duels in the movies always have consequences. In TCW, most of them end with stalemate, and so collectively they become less exciting - we know nothing is going to happen, and no-one is going to win.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    At least the last one had some collateral damage on both sides. :)

3. Gilad bel Iblis

Gilad bel Iblis Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012
    This is why we need more sidestories about the Nahdar Vebb's of the galaxy.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW is elaborating on a section of the journey told in the PT. Its hard to get consequences from characters whose fates are pretty explicitly handled the the movies themselves. I just don't think you are going to get a decisive win from say Anakin vs. Dooku or even Mace Windu vs. Dooku because its just going to come down to a staleman or one side running/giving up. I wouldn't feel any suspense there. I felt slight suspense for Ahsoka vs Grievous in the last episode of Young Jedi even though I know full well she will be fine. Its to predictable how it will end even if Dooku loses a limb. It'd make me go "Ouch, that kinda sucks". Now you invent a Jedi, put him in a duel, and Dooku takes his head off then we have real consequences. TCW adds to the journey for the PT characters. But to gain more excitement and unpredictability, to feel like something major can happen in a duel you have to invent new characters and break the mold farther.

5. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2010
    Absolutely. So the question is; why have those duels if we all know nothing can result of them?

The latest episode with Ahsoka fighting Grievous was a perfect example; we know neither can win, and the whole thing is brief and inconsequential. It could have been dramatic enough if Ahsoka was completely out of her depth and struggling just to survive, so her goal becomes just to escape and she does so just at the last second. That could have been effective. She could have surprised Grievous by cutting off one of his hands, and then escaping.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm agreeing with you on why have those duels if we can't get results, bro. I'm just trying to stay how I think TCW could best resolve the issue. I have a post in the Dooku's Hologram thread also relevant to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.