main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think the RLM reviews are great, I love his Clones review whether its Obi-wan stupidly jumping out of a skyscraper to catch the droid, or how in listing all the good and bad things Anakin does to attract Padme, he matter of factly lists murdering women and children, bringing a corpse home and going on a pyschotic meglomanical rant on the same level as inppropiate comments in the bad coloum:D

Also to judge from the comments on youtube the point RLM made calling Jango, Bobba all the time seemed to go over everybodies heads.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    So without the RLM you wouldn't have noticed any of this?

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Of course I did. I would have even gone a bit further than RLM like why the Jedi (leaving aside ethical issues) never went and bought Anakin's mother freedom, when they knew that was an issue for him or why they did decide to train him, why they gave him to Obi-wan who only just that second was made a Kinight rather than to an experienced wise master who could spot the danger signs early etc.

If it helps while I love his Clones review I think his Sith review is his weakest. Full of poor toilet humour that detracts from the points he is making, while his jabs about the name Order 66 and nitpicking 1000 years/generations were minor problems. I actually prefer Confused Matthews review on Sith.

4. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Because Tatooine wasn't a Republic territory and they expected Anakin to overcome his issues. They already broke their rules by allowing him to be trained at an older age than everyone else. It also represents their detachment from real life which was one of the reasons of their downfall.

Because they respected Qui-Gon's wishes.

Actually, the Jedi in the prequels are portrayed as flawed, and it's done intentionally. They make mistakes, fail, and that's why Yoda and Obi-Wan do things differently with Luke and Leia.

As for Anakin, nothing that he does on Tatooine has anything to do with impressing Padme, I don't know where you get that idea.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Seriously. It's ridiculous on Stoklasa's part, not to mention missing the entire point of the scene, to think that impressing Padme was even on Anakin's radar when he was on Tatooine. Anakin being a 20-year-old male does not mean that Anakin was thinking about getting laid after his mother was tortured to death. It's too bad Stoklasa is completely incapable of thinking of any character outside of his teeny little boxes of stereotypes.

And his other reasons for thinking that Padme wouldn't like Anakin are blatantly sexist.

6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    And don't get me started on the Tusken raiders. They were murderers and sadists and had it coming. No one in universe was sorry to see them gone, except for Anakin himself (ironically enough).

Well, we talked about that before :)

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think we can file that under "not getting the ramifications of having Jedi as main characters". Seriously, what is wrong with RLM?

The 1000 years/generations thing is from AOTC, not ROTS...

8. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Obi-Wan jumping out of the window is an awesome moment. It's unexpected and Obi-Wan finally lives up to his "reckless" reputation.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Consistency with the OT is just the kind of thing that would get a prequel film in trouble with RLM.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Funny how the Jedi (like any real life group or individual) is considered "flawed" and therefore the movie is "flawed" when ALL living beings are flawed in some sense (and I tend to dislike that word - they're not so much flawed, as human and therefore short of perfection).

OF COURSE the Jedi didn't always do all that they could - so is that supposed to be a valid criticism? Did RLM want super-heroes who were incapable of errors and mistakes?

11. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It's not that the Jedi are flawless in the OT either.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Probably. That would have been nice and simplistic and fit his stereotypes better.

13. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I guess he also wanted young Anakin to be some kind of a badass superhero who goes to the dark side just for fun and then spends a movie or two killing off the Jedi.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Probably.

Who needs character development? It could be argued that Anakin's character didn't develop for the better, and I would agree, but I think that's the point.

15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    When you make a movie, not everyone is going to enjoy it. The prequels were a profound example; with so much hype and a large fanbase, it's no surprise that it didn't cater to just one specific group. Opinions aside, people just like to complain. Even if RLM's idea of a "perfect" Star Wars was made, I have no doubt it would have similar criticisms to the one we have. And there would be desperate internet comedians looking to cash in on that as well.

Andy Wylde, kainee, Samnz and 2 others like this.
  16. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    And what "group" would this have been? People who actually LIKED the originals?

Then you have fans of the prequels giving 'desperate internet comedians' (like RLM/Plinkett ) ATTENTION, by - you guessed it - constantly complaining about them/him on internet message boards.

Yunners likes this.
  17. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    Really? People frequent a Star Wars fansite to look up videos to a Star Wars basher? News to me.

Anyways, saying that only original trilogy fans don't like the prequels is quite the generalization in itself. What I meant was that every basher would have done it differently. But that doesn't mean every basher would agree on it that way.

18. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    yeah slashman, I don't really buy the second part of the quote Tosche just quoted

take Nolan films, you don't see any vids on bat fans taking the pee out of THAT trilogy,

even those that prefer the Burton ones over the new ones

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  19. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Capitalized for emphasis:

Good point, Sistros.

20. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    You can't account for the whole internet with that argument. There exist people who dislike the Nolan films, and there exist people who dislike Batman altogether. Same thing applies to Star Wars. But like I was saying earlier, I believe there are always contrarians, even in the face of "universal" opinions.
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-review-of-armond-whites-review-of-toy-story-3/
    Meet Armond White. He threw out a negative review just because everyone was saying something positive. He did not look into an intelligent arument, he just wanted to make his point known.

21. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    ..and the point is Mr White isn't popular at all

unlike this Mr Plinkett.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  22. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    They've both gained their popularity though different methods. Like it or not, White is still a professional film critic. But should we take his word for things just because of this title?

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  23. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    no, not in the least,

the point I'm getting at is:

you wouldn't get a vid criticizing the dark knight (or the other two) unless they like negative feedbacks and dislikes

RLM did what he did knowing that many (rightly or wrongly) agree with his stance

(I don't even like his reviews all that much, so my post isn't biased)

KilroyMcFadden and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  24. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I can agree to the point where it was purely a bandwagon approach. Meaning he was not the first to hate the PT, and he certainly didn't bring anything new to the table.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.