main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Conspiracy Theory on Lucas, Disney and Episode 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Dec 1, 2012.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I guess in my long, drawn out way, what my main point was even though there are new writers and directors, etc., everyone is given the sense that these "new people" are going to control SW while Lucas is just a casual consultant. And ok, for what it is now, that's what's going on. My elaborate idea is what if Lucas had/has much MORE influence/say then we originally thought?

In worst case, maybe it's just a way for fans who like Lucas (the ones that like the PT & OT) to justify the whole "ST not being controlled by him". I know it sounds crazy, but there are a minority of us who think he did a good job throughout the whole saga, are not thrilled with the Disney buyout and the thoughts of others controlling the destiny of SW. Of course this doesn't effect the people that think he did a crappy job.

Hey, even if my crazy theory isn't true, let some of us believe it because it makes accepting the ST easier knowing (or at least thinking) Lucas has a big involvement in them. :)

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This new trilogy is actually an attempt to expose the Watergate Tapes finally...for some reason.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  3. toberfett

toberfett Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    There's nothing 'wild' about this theory. Lucas' thought process behind selling his life's work was not to absolve himself of the blame for three more movies. That makes no sense

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    It peeves me off that people gave Lucas so much hate about the PT when it was amazing in my opinion. I mean if you don't like all 6 SW films your not a true fan, you can't just like half of SW. I just hope Lucas does have a final say on everything and come up with most of the ideas himself.

JainaSoloYJK and phatdude1138 like this.
  5. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    That's not how it works. Even someone who only likes TCW, or only one movie, is a Star Wars fan. There's no such thing as a "true fan" vs "fan". If you like EVERYTHING just because it has Star Wars written on it, then you're a BLIND fan (or just lucky). There's not a band out there that I like every single song from, not even my favorites. Does that mean I'm not a true fan? No, it just means I'm a real person with my own opinions.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Everyone has their own opinions, but saying that people who like everything SW is a blind fan? That's not right, but anyway, it doesn't matter.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, this "let's define what constitutes a fan" talk is ridiculous. The fandom would be a pretty boring place if we all shared the same opinions of the GFFA and we did nothing with our message board time but drool and post, "Dude. That was awesome."

If you call yourself a Star Wars fan, you are one. Period. There is no criteria for how much or which part of the universe that one must like, and there is certainly no fan or group of fans who get the privilege of defining that criteria for the rest of us.

8. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I said "If you like EVERYTHING just because it has Star Wars written on it", and I also added "or lucky", so it's pretty accurate in my opinion.
    I wonder how many people would have liked the PT and TCW if the stories were exactly the same (just switch Jedi and Sith with something that could belong to another universe), if they weren't Star Wars.

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  9. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol, let's stay on topic here, that was only the first part of my post.

10. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yes. Listen to Anakinfan you must. This is someone who, despite having a name which clearly demonstrates the nature of her fandom, has had that fandom denied by some just because she finds half of one movie difficult to sit through. These discussions can get pretty ridiculous.

As for the topic at hand... I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, but it never would have shocked me to find out that Lucas had a much more controlling hand in these movies than originally indicated, and I said as much from the very beginning.

11. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Close, but not quite. Here's a tease: the infamous JFK "magic bullet" was actually a result of Sith terrorism conspiring with Dathomir witchcraft.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But, did Lucas act alone? :)

LawJedi likes this.
  13. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    You mind elaborating on that? I'd assume that you're concerned with GL's (most) recent track record in regards to the films? I agree to some extent, but I don't think the problem lies so much in the concepts and ideas behind the material (where GL will be most involved this time around), as much as in the execution and delivery of said ideas (where he'll not be involved from now on).

14. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm concerned that he will be consulted on any design, writing, pre-viz, directing, or editing. I'm particularly concerned that he may be consulted in the writing or editing.

15. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    He's certainly consulting with the writers.

16. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    The idea of someone being in a white knuckled panic that George Lucas might somehow be involved in a Star Wars movie is incredibly amusing and satisfying.

17. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    p
    Classy.

LawJedi likes this.
  18. battlefrontboy

battlefrontboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    Kathleen Kennedy is CGI. You are going to see this headline within the year: "George Lucas named CEO of Disney." Checkmate.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Even if it's just a side effect of the the new trilogy, I still think this gets the pressure off Lucas while HE can still make his movies in a round about way. Like I mentioned before, Lucas was very open about how he felt about the fans and people in general "calling him a terrible person". I'm not saying the future directors and writers are just there for a human sacrifice, but we have to agree if the ST turns out bad (for some that scale is the PT), that it will be harder to blame Lucas than the new team. Conversely though, if they are successful people will say that it was because he WASN'T involved. Either way he gets the movies done more or less "his way" and he's not under the same pressure. Again, just my theory.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    This has the feeling of being accurate to me.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

"See? It says right here: Stormtroopers!"

VMeran and phatdude1138 like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    George Lucas has been Keyser Soze this whole time! Right after he meets with Kennedy, he'll walk out, stop limping, pull off his beard, and jump into Rick McCallum's car as they drive off.

LawJedi likes this.
  23. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I am STILL waiting for Star Trails. Forget episode 7!

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    There is no conspiracy.
    GL is selling because he has found the right people to take over. He's probably wanted to let go of it all for years, but he needed to know that he'd be able to retire without worrying about what might happen to LFL and SW. He is a worrier, we all know that, but thanks to the artistic and commercial success of TCW, he knows for sure that the next generation will be able to handle SW. Thanks to Kathleen Kennedy and his old friend Bob Iger at Disney, he knows that the company will be well cared for.
    Furhermore, Mark Hamill reported that George seems very happy with this development. He's in a good place and I think that's because he's finally made the decision to let go and leave everything in the hands of people that he trusts. He can now sit back and just enjoy life; Do his little hobby films, spend time with friends and family, watch as his legacy is carried forward by fresh talents.
    That's all there is to it.

"The Force will be with you... always"
    /LM

THX_1138biggs likes this.
  25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    The real reason Lucas decided to sell - http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/11/30/is-this-the-real-reason-why-george-lucas-sold-star-wars-now

Is This the Real Reason Why George Lucas Sold Star Wars Now?

Financial website claims Lucas had a huge tax benefit in selling in 2012.

by Jim Vejvoda
    NOVEMBER 29, 2012

While this may be as interesting to some of you as trade policy discussions were inThe Phantom Menace, a financial website claims that George Lucas had a huge financial incentive in selling the Star Wars franchise to Disney for $4.05 billion before the end of this year: taxes.
    According to Seeking Alpha, "Lucas built his empire over many years and is sitting on a very large capital gain. Although Lucas has not publicly stated that tax policies had anything to do with the timing of the sale, there is speculation that it was a large factor. If outcomes from past tax policy changes are any indication of what will result this time around, then be prepared for a lot more selling between now and year-end."

"The election results are in and as expected Congress and the White House maintain status quo. As a result, certain tax codes like the capital gains and dividend and interest income tax rates are at risk of a significant increase," the site explains. "As the law currently stands, the capital gains tax rate will see the largest year-over-year increase in history. Some intelligent investors didn't wait for election results to lock in the low capital gains tax rate." And their example of such an investor? George Lucas.