main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Long ago someone said to me, "Why don't you just start a stem cell news thread?", roughly.

Stem cells from blood

A source of stem cells not mentioned here is from your wisdom teeth. If you have had them removed those stemm cells are no longer there. I have only had 2 of 4 pulled. :cool:

[​IMG]

If we spent on health what we do on the military we would all be immortal.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Medicare and Medicaid are 23% of the budget - Defense in 19%.

Funny math.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]
    (2010, couldn't find a similar chart for more recent years)

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll be damned you are right. Why am I not immortal?!?!?! HERE'S another good breakdown

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    See, this is why I want universal healthcare - we already spend as much on poor kids and old people by the government as other countries spend on the entire population.

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's see if I can not screw up this time.

Voyager 1 is 11 billion miles away

I don't know what it is about that shape:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I have always loved it. The general structure shape and outline. I wonder if there is some kind of artistic phrase or label for it but I have never found it.

[​IMG]

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    "I used to do quite dangerous things, like flying a fighter jet at low altitude"

[​IMG]

" Sure we'd love to have a warp drive. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one."

See VLM, even he is being cautious.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The question is wether or not DC Comics will reboot Superman one day to have terahertz vision rather than X-Ray vision.

Oh look, someone else browses Sciencedaily. Sometimes I think I'm alone.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's getting a little dusty in here

The treatment very nearly killed her. But she emerged from it cancer-free, and about seven months later is still in complete remission. She is the first child and one of the first humans ever in whom new techniques have achieved a long-sought goal — giving a patient’s own immune system the lasting ability to fight cancer.

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    lol sciencedaily

Sorry. I guess i should be glad it is not from i09

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Sciencedaily ain't too shabby.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Innovative scientists have engineered the HIV virus to kill cancer cells in a 7-year-old girl with leukemia:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/hiv-virus-possible-cure-leukemia

In April 2012, 7-year-old Emily “Emma” Whitehead was in the fight of her life following her second relapse of acute lymphoblastic—or lymphocytic—leukemia (ALL). The then 6-year-old’s parents and doctors turned to an unlikely source to save the young girl's life—the HIV virus.​

Emma, diagnosed with ALL in 2010, underwent an experimental procedure involving a disabled form of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, after two unsuccessful courses of chemotherapy failed to achieve sustained remission. The treatment, pioneered at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, is similar to therapies being developed at other cancer centers around the U.S.​

Emma is one of a handful of patients with advanced leukemia to receive the CT019 therapy (formerly called CART 19 therapy), an experimental treatment that involves doctors reprogramming a person’s T-cells—a type of white blood cell that plays a key role in the immune system—to search out and kill cancer cells.​

The experimental technique relies on help from a disabled form of HIV because the virus is adept at carrying genetic material into T-cells so they’re able to kill off cancer cells. Those genetically altered T-cells go to work attacking cells in the body that play a role in the development of leukemia.​

It's important to note that the T-cells are removed from the patient before being bioengineered with the HIV virus. The patient is not injected with the virus. This treatment differs from chemotherapy, a drug that is one of the most common treatments of leukemia, which kills off all fast-growing cells in the body.​

Three weeks after receiving the treatment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, a bone marrow test revealed Emma had achieved remission. Today, she’s still in remission and thriving, but her doctors caution the remission needs to be sustained for a few years before using words like“cured.”​

Regardless, the pharmaceutical industry is hopeful. In a statement, Hervé Hoppenot, the president of Novartis Oncology, called the research “fantastic” and said it had the potential—if the early results held up—to revolutionize the treatment of leukemia and related blood cancers. Researchers hope similar therapies that involve the reprogramming of a patient’s immune system, may also eventually be used to fight cancerous breast and prostate tumors.​

Ironically, a sign the experimental treatment is working is the patient feeling worse. Raging fever and chills are a sign the T-cells are doing their job and frightening drops in blood pressure can also be a side effect.​

Emma experienced extreme symptoms to the treatment; she spiked a fever of 105 and wound up on a ventilator. Doctors deployed another unlikely remedy to treat her—a drug used to treat rheumatoid arthritis that stabilizes the impact the T-cells have on the immune system.​

Within hours, Emma showed signs of improving, and a week after the treatment she awoke in the intensive care unit to celebrate her 7th birthday.​

In patients with lasting post-treatment remissions, the altered T-cells live on in the bloodstream, though in smaller numbers than when they were fighting the disease. Researchers report some patients having a small number of the cells for years.​

Absolutely brilliant and innovative... one of those "why did no one think of this earlier?" moments (though it probably only recently became technologically possible). Still has some nasty side-effects, but they seem temporary, and it's killing cancer.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think it will be hilarious if the cure for cancer turns out to be giving everybody HIV.

AIDS for everyone!

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yikes and awesome! Those side-effects sound brutal though.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Would be even better if we could bioengineer HIV to kill HIV/AIDS as well.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I've always hated the whole "brain in a vat" nonsense (Sorry Quix) because of its not falsifiable. As for this project, it's beyond stupid.

Their first test:

Really? They designed a simulation of the universe and it looks like the universe? This was the logic they were going with? I expect this kind of nonsense from the psychology department, not physics.

Well, let's take a look at the new nonsense.

Hypothesis. This is hardly a theory.

No, no, NO. this is not evidence. Just because your simulation looks like the universe isn't evidence that the universe is a simulation.

Are we going to get to an official paper? Holy **** yes we are!

Constraints on the Universe as a numerical simulation.

Let's take a look. So, from my understanding, they're creating a numerical simulation of quantum chromodynamics and, if a few experimental results are met in real life, they'd be similar. They then go on about how Lattice Gauge theories have issues, followed by how a simulation of quantum electrodynamics would look like. They talk about the Wilson Fermion (House!) and let's get to the part you all care about: The conclusion.

There they talk about how a good portion requires fundamental laws of physics that we *don't* know yet. Then the final conclusion that if the is finite, there exists a possibility that it's a simulation.

Wow, well, we're right back where we started from: an unfalsifiable idiotic thought experiment.

21. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Vivec,

Sheldon loves you and Leonard doesn't. Howard is still thinking about it as he only has a Master's degree. Raj is in India on his honeymoon. And Penny and I both have headaches just looking at the data and equations, but we thank you for the analysis.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Most furturistic predictions that came true 2012

Biggest scientific breakthroughs of 2012

I wonder if the monkey uplifting implant could be combined with the dissolable implant for permanent effects.

With robot legs than can now run faster than humans how long before that becomes a battlefield hunter type of robot like setting loose robotic dogs armed to the (lol) teeth?

Space-X got to the ISS and the head of Lockheed recently took a poke at them saying, "We have over 60 succesful missions stright, they have 2." Musk made a reply about how their technology is better since it was created this century and not during the last one.

And yeah, WARP DRIVE, dammit. :p

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Proof-of-concept phase research is not a warp drive!

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Debbie downer. [face_talk_hand]

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Not this **** again.