main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    News Link regarding this.

ESPN is reporting they had a 3-month old daughter. Geez.

EDIT: Oh and as of right now, they still have to play a game hosting the Panthers tomorrow. If I were the NFL I'd consider canceling this game.

2. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    Just awful news.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm just getting caught up on the details now...that's really terrible.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What a piece of ****. It's horrible enough that he murdered his gf. Then he had to drive to the stadium and shoot himself in front of Pioli, Crennel, and other coaches? Who the hell does any of that, but especially traumatizing a bunch of people whom you claimed to be grateful to? I hate Scott Pioli but I feel incredibly sorry for him right now.

I can't believe the NFL won't even postpone the game.

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I know. I really wish they would in this case, but apparently the Chiefs told the NFL they would still play.

And my Twitter block button got a good workout today.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't even want to know. People are so awful and idiotic.

The Save Our Chiefs movement that organizes the blackouts, flyover banners, etc. has canceled everything for tomorrow.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The especially idiotic ones are those who seemingly care more about what possible effect this could have on their fantasy teams than the fact that a man just made his 3 month old daughter an orphan.:mad:

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ugh. Man, if I were Crennel, I would just retire at the end of this season. He's going to get fired anyway. I would be so completely over this and I don't think I'd want to come back to the practice facility any more times than I had to. Same with Pioli. I'd be totally okay with allowing him to step down at the end of the season under the guise of 'personal reasons', instead of the more true 'worst GM ever'.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    A real sickening feeling with this one. I don't understand why he felt the need to take his girlfriend with him, or why he felt that traumatizing two guys who had given him so much was the right way to do this, if there is a right way. Crennel doesn't strike me as a really tough guy, I can't imagine what he and Pioli will go through, psychologically, especially with the near-certainty of changes taking place in their lives within the next two months.

The concussion drumbeats are going to get real loud, real soon- but I hope the tragedy of that poor young woman being innocently killed isn't lost in the fray, and she is memorialized properly.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I just really cannot imagine what they're going through right now; seeing one of their players kill themselves in front of them. I mean, really there are no words.

EDIT: heels1785: Given that he shot himself in the head, we'll never know for certain if it was concussion related or not. But yeah, they'll start banging even louder after this (even if there was a chance to prove that it wasn't concussion related)

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Gotta imagine that Crennel was especially close to him as well, considering he's coached that defense for the bulk of Belcher's career, and he's got a real reputation as a player's coach, shown in that Green Bay win last year.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah. This just sucks and is tragic all the way around.

UGH: The steriod speculation is starting too.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It pisses me off that this will be written off by some as concussion related. Belcher never even had a concussion, at least not in the NFL. God forbid we acknowledge that people are prone to doing awful things, that unfortunately things like this happen amongst all sorts of people, and that maybe people should bear the responsibility of their actions. I'm not saying concussions can't lead to some conditions like depression, etc. But you know what, a whole lot of things can. And to be honest, it doesn't sound like this guy was depressed. He shot his gf in an argument over coming home late from a concert. Sounds more like he had a huge anger problem. Ultimately the responsibility for that lies with him and him alone. It's such a cop out to blame all ills on someone else.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with you, sj. Just in picking up random things, he apparently did have a concussion issue at U of Maine, but I'm not one for writing murder off either, for any reason. Maybe evidence of overwhelming depression will come out over time like it did with Duerson and Seau, but it is very difficult to rationalize taking someone with you, a la McNair's girlfriend or Benoit.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Reports now are that they talked to the Chiefs staff and team captains, and that they decided to go ahead and play... can't imagine being Derrick Johnson and wanting to play after my LB teammate did this.

16. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I guess I look at the team not postponeing depending on how they felt with what happened. Also they may feel like it's honoring the guy for killing his GF and himself. There are a lot of players that have bad things happen to them and they don't postpone games so. But I can see the other side here to.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I could see how canceling the game could be percieved as honoring the guy, but at least postpone it a couple of days and move it to Carolina. I can't imagine being a Chiefs fan, or a Chiefs or Carolina player feeling anything short of creeped out going to a place where a guy shot himself in the head. Especially with the fans having the use that parking lot.

18. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Again like I said I see it both ways here at the end those it's up to the NFL, GM, owner, couchs and players on what they want to do though.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sad, but true.:(

20. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    At the end of the day I also would not want to be any of them with something like this.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This. Very very much this. My heart goes out to the familes and Chiefs the aftermath.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

We don't use that parking lot. The practice facility has a separate entrance. And it's not even really visible from most places in Arrowhead or the parking lots. It's a fair jaunt away. So the fans are at least spared a bit. But I can't imagine what it's like for the players and staff.

I really really hope there's no sense of honoring the guy going on.

23. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    If they honor anyone, it should be his girlfriend.

DarthTunick and Juliet316 like this.
  24. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    I agree with MistrX on that one. But they may not really play it up much.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I could see a moment of silence for the girl and for Belcher's family, the kid and his poor mom who was there when he killed his gf and called 911.