main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Skywalker Saga continued?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 1, 2012.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I brought this up in another thread, but I thought it might deserve it's own. It occurs to me that if 7,8, and 9 are, indeed, a continuation of the Skywalker saga then that implies either Luke or his offspring will be at the center of it. So, it seems to me that there are 3 possibilities.

1. The ST will be a continuation of Luke's journey.
    2. The ST will be about the journey of Luke's offspring.
    3. The ST will be about the journey of Leia's offspring, who will carry the bloodline, but not the Skywalker name.

Opinions?

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    4. The ST will be about the journey of one of Leia's offspring and one of Luke's offspring... (Jaina and Ben for example as a Master - Apprentice team)

Dra---, Jobertus and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, which I'd be cool with. Mainly, I'm wondering if this proves there will be a Skywalker heir, and will it be the EU characters or a new Skywalker. It seems to me that there has to be at least one Skywalker other than Luke in the ST.

4. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm probably one of the few that's hoping the main character won't be a Skywalker. Obviously I'd like to see the Big Three, along with Ben and Jaina make an appearance (they could be part of the "team" so to speak), but the main character should be someone new. Just as Lucas passed the torch of Star Wars to someone else, so too should Luke pass the torch to someone else. Especially when you consider how the Skywalker family story and the destruction of the Sith are tied up in a nice, neat little bow at the end of RotJ.

5. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I think it's a forgone conclusion that there will be a Skywalker heir, at least through Leia.

6. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    So long as they had an Episode tag in the title, we knew there'd be a Skywalker involved somehow. XP

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So do you think only the bloodline is important, not the name? It seems to me that the Skywalker name is a brand in itself.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I might be wrong about this, but I thought either Lucas or Kennedy had said that this is a continuation of the "Skywalker Saga".

9. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    I'm not really sure to be honest with you. I'm just going on what I think is going to happen. Lucas has indicated that Luke doesn't get married and an early ending of ROTJ had Luke going off alone to do Jedi stuff. Originally, Luke was supposed to find his sister who was not Leia and I guess train her. Now that Leia is his sister I think Lucas will have Leia and Han have children since it was set up at the end of ROTJ and have Luke be like Obi-Wan from ANH: childless Jedi Master who will train Leia's child(ren.)

So yeah, I think the Skywalker name will die with Luke but the force sensitive blood-line will continue through Leia. Whether the name or blood-line is more important, I'm not sure.

That's just what I think is going to happen tho. I could be dead wrong. Maybe Luke will have children. Maybe Leia changes her name to Skywalker after ROTJ upon learning she is Luke's sister? Who knows?

10. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Continuation could also mean the quest of passing the torch on to non-Skywalkers. I just have this feeling that these new movies will be more about the legacy of the Skywalkers, and how Luke passed on his knowledge, not so much about a new Skywalker character per se. I do think we'll see the new generation (Ben, Jaina, and maybe Allana), but I'm hoping for the main character to be a very unsuspecting non-Skywalker, at the very least for dramatic purposes. Otherwise, this thing will come across like the story of a monarchy, and I never got that sense from the previous movies.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree. I think the name will be important to them and if they are doing a passing the line down, I think it will be a child of Luke's, be it Ben or someone new. I do think kids of Han and Leia will be important in that they also have the Skywalker blood but perhaps not the character carrying the torch of the movies.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, Georges comment about Luke never marrying is the main evidence that there won't be another Skywalker. I'm just curious if they'd let the name die, since it's so well known, and such a big part of previous films.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It also might imply that they'll use Ben Skywalker, after all. If they create a new character as a Skywalker heir it might seem like a slap in the face to the EU fans.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    George also said there would never be Episodes 7-9, so I'm taking everything he's said up until this point with a grain of salt. This might still be the case, of course but I think from a production/money standpoint, the name is probably important.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. Darth Vito

Darth Vito Jedi Padawan

Dec 1, 2012
    I seriously doubt they would be calling the movies Episodes 7-9 if a Skywalker was not the central character.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I was talking on another thread about how It's hard to know what to believe from George, since he's said so many different things over the years. I agree. I think the name is important. I think we're going to get another Skywalker.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I actually like this idea a lot.

18. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope this is the case. IMO TPTB can include Jaina and Ben and not have it constrict their original story, but rather by using them it could set the EU off on a new direction around whatever happpens in the ST. I'll adjust if and when TPTB create all new Skywalker/Solo characters, but right now--as that would eliminate Jaina and Ben--I don't care for the idea.

19. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    George has been all over the place with his opinions and views on some things... EU continuity, Luke's marriageability (VII - IX originally would introduce a love interest for Luke supposedly), and so forth. I've heard him give two polar opposite opinions on some EU characters and so forth.

I personally think that while the characters of the EU will be exploited for this film (Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker) the plot, events, and massive galaxy altering wars will be overwritten (New Republic instead of GFFA, and Chewie is alive). By logical extension I see no reason that Mara Jade Skywalker or Jacen Solo wouldn't appear in the films (albeit in far lesser roles then the OT trio or new protagonists). I'm hoping I'm right, but like anything there are no guarantees.

You guys remember when the PT trilogy came out and everyone was saying that the Clone Wars would be between Mandalorian Clones and the Jedi or something? Yeah... we probably have no clue at all.

EDIT: As much as purists are talking about GL overriding everything, you just KNOW that the Michael Arndt has a copy of the Essential Guide to Characters, and had the name Ben Skywalker on his treatment. I imagine that even if GL is opposed to Luke having kids, this would be something that would be debated and argued about instead of simply accepted.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  20. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't know about being debated and argued over but I'm sure they will consider it.

As for Arndt having Ben Skywalker on his treatment, well that's just speculation and assumption. Ben, Mara, Jacen, Jaina are all characters from EU books and Kennedy has explicitly said that they will not be using EU books as a reference.

I know EU fans like to say "but they showed so and so's ship leaving Mos Eisley in the special edition of ANH and they used the name Coruscant in the PT therefore Lucas WILL be using EU in the ST." It's just a ship leaving and the name of the planet. No big deal. Those two things have no effect on the story, they are just window dressings to make the fanboys squeal with delight. Yes I think there is a good chance that Lucas will pepper in some EU references, but nothing that will have any effect on the story, or characters with long histories that need to be adhered to.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [QUOTEEDIT: As much as purists are talking about GL overriding everything, you just KNOW that the Michael Arndt has a copy of the Essential Guide to Characters, and had the name Ben Skywalker on his treatment. I imagine that even if GL is opposed to Luke having kids, this would be something that would be debated and argued about instead of simply accepted.][/QUOTE]

Does anybody know if Michael Arndt, or any of the creative people mentioned so far, have any love for the EU? That might give an indication about whether they would use EU characters or not.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    What do you think the odds are that the ST will be about the end of the Skywalker line. That Luke will die with no heir, and it will be the end of the Saga? That would mean Luke would probably play a much bigger role if he's the only Skywalker in the film.

23. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't know either way... but from my own experience, the first thing you do if you're approaching a new universe to write in, be it Star Wars, EVE Online, Batman, or Full Metal Panic, is research it, find out who the main characters are and how to handle them... then use that knowledge. If tasked to write Star Wars, look up Luke Skywalker on Wookieepedia or get an Essential Guide to Characters and see who would work in the basic story idea you've got.

The statement about not using the books from Kennedy is really about direct adaption (her talk of about there being no template means they're not copying off an EU book, not a rejection of individual parts, cogs, set pieces or characters.) It's a rejection of there being a direct adaption, which we all knew wasn't going to happen (except for those few begging for the Thrawn Trilogy to be VII, VIII, and IX). There is an enormous difference between the PT and ST on using the EU simply because most of the PT EU characters have no direct relationship with the heroes that go beyond a few books, games, comics, or Clone Wars episodes.

In the ST we have four children to consider (Anakin, Jacen, Jaina, and Ben) and one spouse (Mara). Of those five figures, two are ideal for roles as the new protagonists (Ben and Jaina). Without even looking at the stories they appear in, perhaps not even looking beyond a basic summary of their characters I'd know that Jaina would make a good strong female lead and Ben would make a good character to follow on a hero journey. They'd make a good Master - Apprentice team thanks to their ages (Ben is 17-18 years younger then Jaina) and so forth.

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I am hoping that it is #3 because I don't like the idea of Luke marrying and having kids. It just doesn't say Jedi to me personally. However, I doubt that they will continue SW without having a character named Skywalker. It just doesn't seem right. So for those of you who think it will be a Ben Skywalker get used to the idea that it could be a feamel named Nomi Skywalker. (Nomi Starkiller was an early concept by GL) And if this is indeed the case then I hope the mother is Mara Jade for at least a little EU continuity.

Now, as much as I don't like the idea of Luke having kids I am hoping even more that they don't do something lame or stupid like Leia having Han's kids but they never got married so they are named [for example] Jaycen & Jaina Organa Skywalker or whatever. And Han is a deadbeat dad who only gets visitaion on the weekends and the Republic Navy has to dock his pay for child support . . .

Approximately 3,720 to one.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Good point, I forgot all about Nomi.