main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jon Favreau and David Fincher Pursuing 'Star Wars'

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Nov 30, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ender_and_Bean hit Fincher on the head exactly.

Now, if they were ever to do like a 1313 style Star Wars spinoff movie (which is a vague possibility since reports today indicate Kasdan and Kinberg might be working on spinoffs instead of the ST), then Fincher would be a perfect person to contact.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I agree with everything they said. Disney will want to play it safe. Vaughn and even Favreau is a safer choice for Star Wars comeback than Fincher.

3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    This is a good point. One type of style works for one type of film, but not another. Star Wars needs to remain "timeless". The only real difference between the OT and PT is just actual age (resulting in a different look). However cleaning up the OT, making it in HD and adding some CGI has brought the looks of the film closer together. Even though I'm a big Lucas PT supporter, I do have to agree his lack of using real sets and some real props vs CGI helped to create a bigger visual gap between the PT and the OT. These new folks should shoot for something in between the look of the OT and the PT.

Everyone seems so tragically scared from the "slapstick" style of comedy brought by Jar-Jar, that they fear ANYTHING funny in future Star Wars films. Lets be real, every Star Wars film has jokes. That's why I agree when directors like Fincher are brought up that have close to zero on the humor scale.

Even the beloved ESB (which was so dark) had some funny scenes: "Laugh it up fuzzball", Banter between Leia and Han. Banter between C3PO and everyone. Toolbox falling on Han's head in the asteroid field. R2 falling off the X-Wing and getting spit out. Yoda beating R2 with his gimmer stick. Chewy putting 3POs head on backwards. Chewy choking Lando. Even Han telling Leia "I know" when she tells him she loves him. SW is riddled with humor.

Out of the Favreau vs Fincher debate, I think Favreau gets the humor aspect. Humor is not the first thing you think of in SW, but if you removed every little nuance that made you chuckle, SW would be a pretty "blah" movie...

4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Favreau's first film is still my favourite movie of all time "Swingers", he knows comedy that's for sure.

5. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Favreau? Nah, he'd just turn Episode VII into some pro-Death Watch propaganda or something. :p

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I love Swingers, too, but he didn't direct that one.

7. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Even though Favreau wrote swingers, it still shows he has a real creative sense of humor! The more and more I think about it, the more I want him to direct EP7.

I know I'm breaking my own rule of "no popular" actors in SW, but I'd like to see Vince Vaughn in one of the ST :) I think he'd make another great scoundrel, like a younger punk who sasses Lando and Han. It could be a funny swingers style scene. He doesn't need to be a main character, a side one would be fine.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I like that Favreau can jump genres. He can do comedies such as the underrated Made with him and Vince Vaughn, Elf, and he can do action with Iron Man 1 and 2. I even thought Cowboys and Aliens was pretty fun.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I forhgot about Elf. That was pretty funny.

10. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Oh yeah sorry, he wrote it and was one of the producers, it was very much his vision even if he didn't direct it.

11. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Just re-watched 'Cowboys and Aliens' - it's really a much better film than I remembered it to be.

I think Favreau's got the chops to pull it off.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I forgot about that flick. It was a good one!

13. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I liked it too, although I had to turn it off and send my kids out of the room the first time we tried to watch it. Not all PG-13 movies are created the same.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

Yes. I saw it on blu ray for the first time in the summer. It is surprisingly dark and violent. So much different to the Iron-Man films. So it actually serves as further proof that Favreau has quite a wide range. Also, I think the sheer bleakness of it is one of the things that worked against it at the box-office. I think a lot of people were expecting something different.

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, the first trailer I saw for it made it seem darkly humorous - and my kids were really excited to see it. They're 10 and 12, so not little ones - but alien abduction and experimentation is certainly the stuff of significant nightmares.

I agree it shows Favreau has quite a range - and I liked the effects in Cowboys and Aliens juxtaposed with some decent character development.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    And it had Olivia Wilde in it. She was one of the actresses proposed in the Female Jedi thread! =P~

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I liked her too. As an aside, I also liked the character Ford played, and it made me think more than once about what an aging Han Solo might be like, appearance and swagger-wise.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Totally agree! He can play that kind of supporting role now very well. Although in the ST I hope he's less severe, although I expect he'll be a somewhat tired and hardened General when we see him again.

19. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Plus he's worked with Harrison Ford, and got a better performance out of him than we saw in Indy 4.

20. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I think this video is the closest we can expect Ford to be like in EP7!:

SithLordDarthRichie and Echo-07 like this.
  21. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    So that's why he got divorced and ended up with Abby McBeal.

Thanks for sharing.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  22. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I think Favreau is better with humor than Fincher but it isn't like Fincher's films are void of it altogether. Se7en is for sure. In Zodiac Jake G. and Downey Jr. have some really funny moments.

23. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I'd be fine with Favreau, but Fincher was my first pick from the start. He's had some duds in the past, but recently he has really been banging out top shelf film.

24. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    The thing about Fincher though, is he's not going to have them dictate his crew. He'll want to bring his people in. Not that I think that'd be a sticking point.

25. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Can't speak for Kennedy, but George is on record saying (regarding Kershner) that a director should always have the privilege of bringing in their own director of photography. I don't think it would be a sticking point.

Obviously Fincher would have to deal with whatever pro-production work was already in place, and probably have to accept the VFX crew that ILM had assembled.