main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do you think we will see a speed faster than "Light Speed?"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediKnightOB1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    There was a major change in space travel speed between RotS and ANH. Do you think we will see a faster speed than that of the Falcon in Ep VII?

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm not sure where you saw a major change in travel speed between RotS and ANH... And BTW - the Falcon already goes .5 past lightspeed.

3. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    You mean like to the point of reaching new galaxies fast enough? Nah, I don't think so.

But I also don't think there will ever be anything faster than light speed. The closest thing to it would be hyperdrive technology similar to Mass Relays but obviously more compact due to being built into starships instead of giant ones merely relaying them to whatever system they wanted to go to was developed for instant travel in comparison to how hyperspace currently is in the franchise but that seems highly unlikely, as well.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    While the speed wasn't actually changed, the script of Revenge of the Sith sometimes made traveling from one star system to another look like it only took a couple of hours. The best example of that was when Sidious went Mustafa for Anakin.

5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The Star Wars movies have never delt well with time passage in space travel. It seemed to be only a couple of hours between Tatooine and Alderaan as well if you recall.

The books have always delt with that better... it took "somehwhere around" a couple months for the Falcon to reach Bespin in ESB (obviously took longer than it would have otherwise due to the lack of a hyperdrive) - during which it allowed time for Luke to train, but you'd never notice it took so much time from the film itself.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Looking at the Hyperdrive wookipedia article... when they go to lightspeed... they are actually going into another demension anyway, so the speed is not really a speed as we know it. As such, they class the hyperdrives on a inverted scale, higher the number the slower the hyperdrive. Thus the Falcon being a .5 is one of the highest rated hyperdrives and thus one of the fastest known. Typical military hyperdrives are a 1 or 2, civilian crafts typically rate a 3.

7. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Only if we count Spaceballs' "Ludicrous Speed."

The Elf is right. Star Trek deals in "Warp Speeds", where time and space are warped to create jumps that are faster than light. "Hyperspace" is something completely different - kind of like pulling the ship out of our time-space continuum and dropping it back in at the right time.

In reality, slingshotting around stars, moons, planets, and black holes provides adequately efficient space travel without having to worry about reaching lightspeed. Especially if periodic "filling stations" line the route to replenish fuel.

8. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Aaargh.... somebody beat me to "ludicrous speed"! Oh Spaceballs...

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what purpose some other form of FTL travel would serve. Star Wars always plays fast and loose with physics; hyperspace is about as fast as the plot needs it to be. Frankly, I'm OK with that - the technology has never been front and center (unlike the tendency of another 'star' franchise).

"I can't stand it when they try to explain how a teleporter works and why. It's just not what the movie should be about." - Lucas

Panakas_Dawg and EviL_eLF like this.
  9. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I've always liked that lightspeed, and other tech things are super hand waved in SW. Making the tech unimportant focuses the viewer on the characters.

That said I love that trek is the total opposite and actually tries to make 'sense'.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That's why Star Wars is not true Sci-fi but is Sci-fi/Fantasy. The physics are ultimately unimportant, the result of the tech is what's important, thus they can continue with the guts of the real story and get much more in depth in said story as they didn't waste time with those distractions.

Panakas_Dawg and fishtailsam like this.
  11. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I once read there are two types of Sci-Fi: Jules Verne and HG Wells.

Jules Verne - You actually have an engine built on current scientific knowledge of the time and operating within known parameters and the wildest fancies have a logical basis.
    HG Wells - You need to get from point A to point B? Here's a machine that does it.

12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    ^That's also why people didn't take kindly to the whole midichlorian debacle... that was Star Wars caught in a Star Trek moment, trying to explain something that they would never have otherwise tried to explain.

13. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    inevitable posting.

Jedi_Lover and LawJedi like this.
  14. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    MAXIMUM WARP! Transwarp! Mr. Paris warp 10!

To answer the question, NO.

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Haha maybe, but I guess it'll still be called light speed, I don't think it'd be a change we'd notice easily when watching though.

16. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Exactly, there was no need to explain the midichlorians, they could have just 'felt the force' in Anakin and it would have been enough.

17. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    My friend showed me a video last night on Michio Kaku's theory about quantum physics. He says our generations are the most important because we will be the ones who see the transfer from a type 0 civilization to a type 1 civilization.

According to him it means we will start to rely on volcanoes and earthquakes, harnessing their power for recourses and the people will have to "unite" if we are to survive. Due to happen in around 100 years....Apparently.

I don't wanna be closed minded (but i am) but this stuff gave me a headache... until he said that a type 3 civilization would be similar to that of star wars where we would be setting up camp on other stars and planets. Apparantly this transfer phase will be dangerous too because all species and beliefs would have to unite, by this he means all having the same views.

I dont wanna insult anyone but i thought this was a load of crap because it's his job to think about these things, hell he coulda said anything. I did find it interesting though.

Any Quantum physisists out there that want to expand??

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Also due to the fact that it's a word having more than three syllables, so it makes people feel like they're in school.

And with this crowd, you definitely don't want to do that.

Count Yubnub and LawJedi like this.