main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Matthew Vaughn Directing...unofficially confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JaimePrater, Nov 27, 2012.

1. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    If it is Matthew Vaughan i hope he has a really top notch script to work with and this is a truely great Star Wars

2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Interesting fact : IMDB Mathew Vaughn as Director ,

Layer cake 7.4
    Kick - Ass 7.8
    Star Dust 7.7
    X-men Fist Class 7.8

Average 7.68

Star Wars : Revenge of the Sith 7.7

Coincidence or what !

Star Wars : Episode VII prediction 7.9

:)

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    IMDB's rating system is truly sub-par, because people vote it who sign in - not critics. Also, I recall when Kick Ass and X-Men first class came out, for over a year they were both on the top 250 list with an 8.1-8.2 rating.

Many trolls come in and rate it a '1' for all blockbuster films, and you have just as many people who haven't seen the movie who give it a 1.

Rottentomates rating is far superior, as it is based off critic reviews.

Layer Cake: 81% fresh.
    Kick Ass: 76% fresh.
    Stardust: 76% fresh.
    X-Men first class: 86% fresh.

All of his movies have earned him a higher than 70% fresh rating, which is fine in my book.

4. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It's called good etiquette on a message board. It does bother most people...

If you can't follow a conversation using just a quote or two... I don't know what to say about that. You can always scroll back if you get that lost.

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay, so I just finished watching Stardust and these are my impressions:

- The words delightful, fanciful and inspired all come to mind
    - I give the movie a solid 4 stars out of 5, maybe a 4.5 -- YES, it's that good
    - Was a better version of the Princess Bride
    - Is Matthew Vaughn's BEST movie by far (barring Layer Cake which I haven't seen)
    - It's the type of fantasy genre picture that Disney adores
    - I highly recommend it to anyone even if MV doesn't become the director for Ep 7

I've said that I think MV's alreday got the job, at least for Episode VII and I don't doubt for a minute if it was based solely on Stardust. The movie was nearly perfect family fair and fantasy without being over-the-top. AND there were some great climactic moments that I could easily see within Star Wars (without spoiling it for others.) So, after watching Stardust I am going from being okay with MV directing to really hoping he is.

BTW-- forgot to mention that MV worked with Gavin Bocquet on the film. The script must have been awesome and the preformances were really great. However, DeNiro didn't really work for me.

6. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Having thouroughly enjoyed Kickass (one of my favorite films) and having been pleasantly surprised by Stardust before that (I didn't expect much from it, but found it damn entertaining and very re-watchable), and with X-Men: First Class being my absolute favorite X-Men film... I'm suqarely in the "Matthew Vaughn would be a great choice" crowd!

Echo-07 likes this.
  7. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, I was really surprised by Kick Ass. I never heard of it until somoene recommended it to me and I really enjoyed it. But Stardust just made me see why everyone has been "singing his praises." That was a nearly flawless film in the SW genre. So, like you, I'm squarely in his camp.

Now, does he sign on for all 3???

8. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Stardust is enough to show he can handle SW. Throw in "Layer Cake" and, yeah, he'd own the Star Wars label. Probably create the best SW film ever.

Saurion-Fett and Echo-07 like this.
  9. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I wouldn't be surprised to see one director doing two of the films and another doing one of them... now whether one director does consecutive films or they do the first and 3rd or whatnot... no idea. I'll actually be surprised if it's one director for all 3.

That's a pretty bold statement... ESB and RotS are absolutely epic, and nothing in the franchise can be as revolutionary as ANH was at the time...

10. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Agree with Elf, thats really bold and very difficult to live up to. I hope we don't get our hopes too high. BUT I agree with you in that with Vaughn we could have a very special Episode.

Stardust really blew me away and I'm not exagerating. I like to think I have discriminating taste.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  11. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I go bold or go home. LOL Really, he's a proven genre-friendly, geek-friendly, action-friendly director. If he does Ep7, I just mean that they will be singing his praises up and down this forum. I don't think he'd disappoint anyone.

Echo-07 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I agree that I doubt many would be disappointed... but at the same time, I still fully expect there to be a crowd who will bash the ST just as the PT has been bashed, no matter who's doing the directing.

Ultimately, the PT gets bashed for things that are entirely present even in the OT, yet the OT gets a free pass for being the OT. People want to see an absolutely flawless film, when the Star Wars films are ALL flawed, and likely always will be flawed even in the coming films.

That, and people love to bash what many love as it makes themselves "feel superior" to those who love what they are bashing.

I still think most people who bash the PT love the PT, they just don't want to admit it.

Panakas_Dawg and Echo-07 like this.
  13. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    In my mind, the PT is like that child that you tease and give a hard time to, but you love, because it is still your child.

14. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I am all for vaughn as director....ESB will have to wtch its top dog spot[face_dancing]

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    And twilght is like that kid you had to the stripper in the bar nine years ago who has ADD and your now getting hit up for child support and it destorys you marriage

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  16. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks for the orders!

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  17. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    The more they try to control the Boards the more members that will slip through their fingers.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

That is an average of 79.75 fresh - you'll never guess the fresh rating of Revenge of the Sith 80% !!!

So all in all IMDB is very close to the fresh ratings ,

Episode VII : Fresh rating prediction 82 % .

19. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Too right man! I'm getting it stinking because I'm dyslexic and the way I roll on here, helps me to remember stuff!

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Yea, that's what happens when you let critics vote instead of Plinkett zombies.

21. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Being honest, i really think ROTS, as a movie, doesn't deserve a 80% in tomatoes and a 7.7 in IMDB. For me it's a 7.2 as a movie.

22. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    I would base the square route of ***k all, on that chief!

23. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    He is my choice though!

24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Pretty soon we're gonna need a team of scientists to calculate the rankings. Geeze . . . .

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    And I think that ROTJ doesn't deserve a 80+ rating. In fact, the original release reviews were around 40%. :p