main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Jets-Cardinals game in a nutshell

[​IMG]

MistrX and LloydChristmas like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So, I am torn. I feel really happy for the team, coaches, and Pioli that they had something slightly uplifting to distract this weekend, and that they were able to come together and embody the spirit of the city in this win. Brady Quinn especially stepped up, with something like a 137 passer rating. We had no turnovers and only one penalty, a delay of game late in the 4th. A nearly perfect game.

However, we really can't win another game. It would spell disaster in the draft. If we have played ourself out of a shot at Gino Smith, I am going to be so pissed.

3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    solojones, I think you're using the Jump to Conclusions mat here as much as anyone else. Without more information, the idea that this was simply a domestic/drug abuse/anger-related issue is as much a jump as assuming it was purely head-trauma-related. If anything, recent reports point to a combination of all of those.

Not having a reported concussion hardly rules out serious trauma. Brain scans of even high school athletes have shown that repeated shots to the head even over just one season can affect what areas of the brain are accessed for particular tasks. I know this because I read it in a magazine once while eating Chipotle, which basically makes me a neurologist.

Also, can I get a HAPPY BIRTHDAY AARON RODGERS UP IN HEEEERREEEEEE [face_party]

And Point Given, that gif summary is amazing.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    ANDREW LUCK!

s65horsey likes this.
  5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Wow! What a end to the Indy game. Payton who?

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No LloydChristmas, it's not nearly as much of a jump to conclusions. If his friend is to be believed, he had a substance abuse problem. He also claims to think there were concussion related things, but I'm not sure how it would have just happened this week when Belcher didn't play last week. And I don't really trust his friend's ability to judge a neurological condition. Plus, the issues between these two seem to have clearly predated any of this supposed memory loss.

But most importantly, I just tend to think it's safest to think of horses instead of zebras when you hear hoofbeats. That's not jumping to a conclusion. That's using Occam's Razor.

7. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Andrew Luck is the real deal. Insane ending!

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

DT421 likes this.
  8. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    OMFG, THE COLTS!!!!!!!!!

ma_petite likes this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What an insane ending to the SF/STL game.... Akers misses a kick but the STL rookie makes a 54 yd one? They were 26 second away from the second tie this season between these two teams. Arg. This definitely isn't good.

10. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    That 49ers-Rams game almost ended in a tie...AGAIN.

And yes, solojones, it is. There is a very real possibility that the physical effects of the NFL contributed to his actions-- especially in combination with substance abuse, etc. His friend said memory loss and such was appearing after he took several head shots playing against the Bengals, but regardless the medical data I read while housing a burrito says this could've built up over time anyway. This is not to defend his actions in any way, but ruling out brain trauma outright during a time when this conversation is dominating the future of the NFL doesn't seem cool.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But nor is automatically pointing the finger at it, which could be just as detrimental to the sport. Remember, lots of people instantly jumped to the conclusion that it was concussion related right off the bat, without looking at his record, without talking to anyone he knew or played with. I'm sure the NFL will want to look into it, as it's in their interest not to have their sport turning people psychotic. But still, the alacrity with which people all seem ready to blame concussions belies a pop medical standpoint and not an actual one. I'm not saying concussions weren't involved. I'm saying we have no evidence yet that they were, so we should look at all the factors first.

If anything, I would like to see the NFL consider better mental health counseling for players, particularly in the area of substance abuse, as we all know that this is a problem with a number of players and that it's led to some tragedies and such in the past all ready. If it turns out there's evidence of a concussion link, fine. But it's irresponsible to immediately scream that from the rooftops as many have already done.

12. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Are you saying that when I read a magazine on a whim while eating delicious authentic Mexican food that I'm feeding into a "pop medical standpoint"? THAT'S BORDERLINE LIBELOUS SOLOJONES

Touchdown Gresham! Are the Bengals really about to almost maybe make the playoffs again?! [face_hypnotized]

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good win for KC, Quinn was very solid. Cool that I got to see a full game in my market too, playing Carolina. I don't want to lose that #1 pick either, but I'm not sure that the right move isn't to trade out of it, assuming Smith, Murray, Tyler Wilson, and Barkley will be mid to late first round picks. Just as long as we don't draft another d-lineman.

14. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    ...as Andy throws a pick-six. Oh Ohio, how I love you. At least the Browns are handing it to Palmer again?

15. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    given that he coaches/ed a different team, i don't see how that comparison really makes any sense. peyton on the other hand... :p

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sanchez was yanked, Russell Wilson beat the Bears on the road, Mason Crosby got back on track . . . today was a pretty good day.

LloydChristmas and ma_petite like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, well we'll likely never know truly what lead Belcher to do what he did, be it head trauma, drugs, or whatever, because he shot himself in the fricking head and thus nothing will ever truly be able to ever be ruled out because the brain can't be scanned/dissected. Because he shot himself in the fricking head.

And now we have a copy cat

Edit: Good on the Chiefs to use their moment of silence to honor victims of domestic violence rather than Belcher. Also kudos to ESPN's NFL Countdown crew (and Tom Jackson in particular) for calling Belcher what he is: A murder who left his child without parents.

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah buddy! The black and gold pull it out in the end.

wow 6 posts for the price of one, if a mod sees this can you clean it up?

DMC Edit - Got it.

19. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, that was weird.

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Glad that they won. I definitely wasn't expecting that. Batch looked much better than he did last weekend.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah I was wondering if they would do a moment of silence in that vein. Good job Chiefs.

As to the Browns employee... not a copycat. It happened at virtually the same time. Just an eerie coincidence. But more sad than anything. I mean, as far as I know that guy wasn't a murderer, so I feel sorry for him.

Quite honestly, do we have anything to suggest that Belcher's suicide had anything to do with depression? We're not talking a normal suicide. We're talking about something that was brought on by the realization that he'd done an incredibly awful thing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Steelers need to be more responsible. The pull out method isn't full proof.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I was hoping Dallas/Philly would end in a tie.[face_plain]

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Costas advocates gun control after KC tragedy.

:oops:

Look, I'm all for tightening gun control/closing existing loopholes we have in our gun laws. But I'm not totally convinced tighter gun control laws would have completely averted this tragedy.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Move along, nothing more to see here.