main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Official Skinny On Rick

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The-Eternal-Hero, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    You forgot all the great Darth Maul, Jango Fett & Count Dooku action figures that kids get to enjoy

2. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Maybe he was the kind of guy GL liked to work with and helped do things by being a "yes man" and not putting up road blocks to success. But for me I wish he had stood up to lucas more but he did his job the best he could. We all know lucas was hard to work for.

I just really really dont like him.....but have never met him:confused:

Also Rick Berman is a TOOL

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    GL sounds like a great person to work for. I've heard almost no complaints from anyone who has ever worked for him in any capacity since I started following his career 35 years ago. Rick did an amazing job making it possible for GL to get his movies made. They were a great team and they made a lot of memorable films together.

4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I don't think I've ever seen 'skinny' and 'Rick McCallum' used in the same sentence before?

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I remember reading an interview of him when Generations came out, and he said something along the lines of he didn't care what the fans thought about Kirk getting killed off. Sounded like the most pompous guy in the sci-fi business.

I appreciate for the most part on what McCallum has done for the PT, but I'm also glad he's retiring.

6. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I appreciate for the most part on what McCallum has done for the PT, but I'm also glad he's retiring.[/quote]

I agree its hard to know what he was like....just from our point of view he seemed to have his tounge right up GLs arse.

Also as far as Berman goe's they only reason trek survived was due to fans over looking his **** ups time and time again

7. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Why are we discussing Rick Berman?

Which producers are we comparing McCallum to, anyway? Who are these iron-willed producers who take it upon themselves to domineer their directors? McCallum was no more accommodating than Mark Ordesky was to Peter Jackson, but PJ gets a free pass no matter what he does, GL gets brickbats. I don't like the PJ trilogy but I don't blame it on Mark Ordesky for being a "yes man" - he did his job, he got the movies out on time and on budget.

-NaTaLie- and LawJedi like this.
  8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Well at least the LOTR producers would be a relevant conversation, because they actually serves as unit directors on large chunks of the trilogy. At least Rick Porras and Barrie Osborne did.

9. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Rick McCallum did the best he could with what he had, I have no reason to bash him and hope he made enough money so he can fade into a comfortable retirement.

Adapting fantasy books to films isn't the easiest thing to do. Peter Jackson did an amazing job with the LotR trilogy, it was very well done, those who wish to bash him have no leg to stand on. Almost everything he touches turns to gold, we'll see whether this remains true after the Hobbit trilogy comes out.

Rick Berman destroyed the ST franchise, TNG tv series was good, DS9 was good, 7of9 was good, the rest was bad. TPTB failed to learn the lessons from TOS films when doing TNG films and after 'First Contact' they consistently flopped. Thank god for the new Star Trek movie, that actually got me interested in Trek again.

10. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
  11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    o_O
    Let's not trip. There are plenty of Tolkien fans with plenty of valid criticisms of those movies. And his career outside of Tolkien adaptations is even more open to valid criticism. It's one thing to act like Rick McCallum is some kind of Universal monster of enablers. It's another thing to pretend that Peter flipping Jackson is above reproach.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  12. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not trippin', hence why I qualified that with almost, I never said he was above reproach, you said that. Of the five films I've seen of his all of them are good films, and 'King Kong' rather unexpectedly so. Admittedly his portfolio is more extensive than the five films of his which I have seen.

I loved the Tolkien books as well. One criticism, not my own, I've most often heard of is the lack of Tom Bombadil being in the 'FotR'. I'm a purist as much as the next person, but if TPTB followed the books verbatim the combined trilogy would have been at least 24 hours long, and the average movie-goer has too short an attention span to stick around for that let alone come back to watch a film again. Over the top Tolkien fans should temper their ire and remember to always be grateful for what they get, when the alternative is nothing.

As we are entitled to, everyone has an opinion, at the same time, everyone has an ***, too...

13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    An enormous body of brilliant literature is far from "nothing". I have no use for PJ's childish vandalism against the brilliance of Tolkien. A lack of Bombadil is not on my (very) extensive list of offenses against literature perpetrated by Jackson & Co. If anything, those turgid movies were too long, not too short.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes, everyone has an opinion, which is we probably shouldn't use phrases like "no leg to stand on" about another. That would just be uncouth, presumptuous, and untoward. Unless you want to qualify that one as well?

15. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Dude who are you ?? the freakn thread police...there was a parallel between the two RICKS..both sci fi producers of major motion pictures and both sucked in the eyes of fans.....pull your head in

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Summary of Jackson's version of "The Lord of the Rings":

*person 1 dies* (in slo-mo, accompanied by SAD music)
    *slo-mo reaction shot* of person 2, with fake single tear dripping down cheek in slo-mo, accompanied by SAD music
    *slo-mo reaction shot* of person 3, with fake single tear dripping down cheek in slo-mo, accompanied by SAD music
    *slo-mo reaction shot* of person 4, with fake single tear dripping down cheek in slo-mo, accompanied by SAD music
    *slo-mo reaction shot* of person 5, with fake single tear dripping down cheek in slo-mo, accompanied by music that is oh-so-very SAD
    *person 1 wasn't really dead*
    *person 5: "DWARVES ARE SHORT!"*

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Anyway, back to McCallum: I never really got where that "yes man"-meme came from. He's a great producer. The best of luck to him.

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    C'mon now, that totally ignores the wicked shieldboarding.

-NaTaLie- and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    And the TOTALLY convincing CGI Legolas battle on the oliphaunt. :rolleyes: Truly a testament to practical effects.

20. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    HA HA HA HA!!! Nailed it cold!!

21. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Rick McCallum breathes noisily, much like Darth Vader. Only the sound he makes on the inhale is the word "yes" and the sound he makes on the exhale is the word "sir."

So it's just "YYEEEESSSS...SSSIIIIRRRR....YYYYYEEEEESSSS...SSSSSIIIIIIRRRR..." all day everyday even while he sleeps.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    BOLD!

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    How can people not dig a man who gave us this photo?
    [​IMG]

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You forgot the part where Elijah Wood stares blankly at the audience for 90 minutes.