main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Star Wars Director to be named Soon

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 2, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I imagine the director will be announced sometime before March, as shooting is going to probably begin over the summer for Episode VII.

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think we'll know the identity of the director before the year's out.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree

5. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm going to start a thread called "New Star Wars Movie Coming" with a link to an AP article.

stormcloud8 likes this.
  6. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm to lazy to do the work but figuring out who the director is you just have to check what films they've signed on for the next 2 years if they have nothing they're a candidate for star wars,

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Agreed! I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow's video announced it. OR perhaps video #5 whenever that is released. But I think there is info in them which is why LFL is keeping tight lips right now.

8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    The last video was such a snorefest that I really hope they at least announce Kasdan today.

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I suspect that the last video on the StarWars.com video series will have some sort of new announcement that makes watching these videos worth it.

10. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I always forget the time difference.....I have been checking TOS all day and forgot we are a day ahead

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I highly doubt that'll be the shooting timeline. I would guess fall/winter at the earliest, but possibly not until the beginning of 2014. Remember, just because Ep. VII's coming out in 2015 doesn't mean it'll be a summer film. I know the others all have been, but a holiday release wouldn't be surprising to me. If they do want to release in May, then yeah, they probably need to start filming before 2013 is done. But I don't think summer is realistic.

12. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I disagree. I think Ep 7 has basically been in pre-prodcution since before June and sdefinitely since June when KK came aboard and the plans were starting to become revealed. Pablo Hidalgo even mentioned that about the end of June (29th I think) is when it became known to LFL employees. So I strongly believe the director will be announced soon, before the end of the year and filming will begin this spring/summer ofr a May 2015 release. I don't see Disney doing anything to disrupt the phenomenon that is SW and that includes it being a summer film (Maybe not May, perhaps the rumored July date is accurate).

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think they would definitely want the films to be summer tent-poles.

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to release SW in the winter. In 2015 no studio will want to compete with Episode 7.

15. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    all the films were released in may or near enough, so don't break with tradition on that front.

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    They'll have to start shooting next year (probably in the summer) in order to make a 2015 release date, which means they're much further ahead with preproduction than they're letting on.

Echo-07 likes this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I hate to be a pessimist, but it does sound like they might struggle to get this movie done on time unless they do it fast which means cutting corners which means a less decent final product.

18. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Awesome. I'm pulling for Favreau, but I'll be happy with whomever is chosen :).

19. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    It won't come out in winter 2015. James Cameron has said that he plans to begin shooting Avatar 2 and 3 next year. So number two will probably be coming out in December 2015. Disney will want Star Wars to be one of their summer tentpoles. As for thinking it won't be ready in time, people have to realise that Episode 7 has clearly been in pre-production for a long time. Ardnt hasn't just started to write the script. Sure, they announced it officially last month, but I would assume he's been working away at it since the summer at least, and probably early summer at that. Also, when the official site announced him, they even said themselves that Episode 7 is in "pre-production". Pre-production usually comes after early development. And again, the director. Same thing. Yes, he or she hasn't been officially announced yet, but I would be willing to bet the entire contents of my bank account that he or she was officially hired either early last month or maybe even before that. Basically, Episode 7’s production is an ordinary time-frame. I think the only reason why some feel it’s too “rushed” is because we heard about it so suddenly. It literally came out of nowhere. I think that's why a lot of people at first (me included) were convinced it was some cruel prank. It has clearly been in the works for a very long time, though. Maybe even the best part of a year.

JainaSoloYJK, Padme501st and Echo-07 like this.
  20. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    ^ Normal movies take about 2 years. GL usually took 3 years. We're about 30 months from May of 2015. Normally it'd be 36 months. From June to November that was 6 months. So IMO we're right on schedule; the fans are just catching up because they kept it hush-hush since June.

Krueger likes this.
  21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's a little bizarre to start pre-production before you have a director though. I'm surprised it's taking them this long to pick a director.

22. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    You've also got to wonder how long before June it was in the works. It’s likely that Ardnt was probably hired round about April or May.

23. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004

Exactly. It is bizarre. The official site did say that, though. That's why I think a director was probably hired either last month or in October.

24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Who's saying they don't have the director already picked? Rumors have been swirling since October's announcement that it was Matt Vaughn or Colin Travarrow. Last week Vaughn's buddy Peter Flemyng seemingly let the cat out of the bag. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if tomorrow's video at TOS reveals who the director is. As Kruger said, he's probably been signed on since at least October.

25. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Vaughn's agent would've leaked it to the trades.