main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    A lot of EU has made it into the films, and now the Lucas driven TV series. To the general public, sure, they don't care where Coruscant got its name - but thats not exactly the crowd you are speaking with here.

If the films did take Boba Fett's story from the EU and vaguely include it in Episode 7 would that ruin the film for you? I guess if you don't like characters coming back from the dead, and Fett appears, then the whole film is already a write off?

TreborSabreon and Fleab88 like this.
  2. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    No....I would have to watch it to see... but I would prefer new characters like Fett when I saw ESB. and Maul in TPM. IMPO resurrections are poor efforts at story telling. Fresh ideas please;)

Robimus likes this.
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, I think we're all for fresh ideas and it's probably a very safe bet that we're to have plenty of them. As far as I can tell though, the inclusion of a fan favorite doesn't have to come at the expense of creativity. In fact, it seems reasonable that it could serve as the spark for some, no?

4. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Sorry for me...its No

to recycle a character is not creative.....look we may have luke we may have leia we may have han we may have chewie...Lando..etc. way to many "may"be coming back already. we don't need the dead as well.

But if it does happen I will still gobble it up and ask for seconds

5. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    All it takes is a scene in a dark desert, some rumbling noises, flashes in the dark, loud Sarlacc pit monster screeching death noises, and the kick on of that booster pack showing Boba flying out of it.

Immediately falls to the ground. You can tell his legs are badly damaged or one of them is missing, just from being digested. He calls the Slave 1 to pick him up, and out come his buddy Dengar to pick him up. He brings him back to Gorga the Hutt's hideout.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Aren't they the same commentary? I haven't dug through the blu ray ones yet but I thought the two tracks were either A) the original DVD commentaries for all the movies B) archival and interview sound beats strung along the entire movie from various cast and crew.

7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I can't find it right now - because I'm far too lazy on a Saturday morning, but when commenting on the EU, Lucas at one point said, pretty emphatically, that Fett died in the Sarlacc. You can see why those of us who hate the idea can cling to it, and think it's pretty lame when George backpedals.

Let's be honest. The character of Boba Fett, as he is portrayed in the movies, is not cool. Here are his contributions to the film: he makes a phone call to Vader, then brings Han to Jabba. After that he just hangs around and waits to die.

The costume of Boba Fett, on the other hand, is bad ass.That's the reason why he's popular. If Dengar had been the one to find Han and die in the Sarlacc pit, we would not be having this conversation today. We had a character with an awesome costume - he had a jetpack! And rockets! And all kinds of cool toys! He was bound to sell tons of toys, and when he did, all the kids had to have one. These kids make up stories to go with their toys, and when they grow up, they want to write books about him.

I'm sorry, but it's really stupid. All the "cool" that was later assigned to Boba Fett could just as easily have been given to a different character. One who didn't go out like a chump. We wouldn't have this ridiculous "the Sarlacc spit him out" retcon, we wouldn't have to be forcing him into the story left and right, and if it makes you feel better, we could give the new guy an even cooler costume. Two jetpacks!

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Heheheh...don't agree with you at all, but awesome post anyway :p

Welcome back!

9. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Finally someone else who gets it. Bobs Fett is entirely overrated.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't know; I don't have the Blu-rays. Around the time they came out I thought I heard that they had new commentaries, but that could have been wrong.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think there's a few new ones. Not sure, though.

12. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I suppose Darth Maul could have a colostomy bag and use it like a squid to make an escape!

13. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I'd like to maybe see Boba Fett's run in's with Han Solo in their early years. As far as him coming back in the main saga, I reckon he is a busted flush!

14. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    There is no reason for an old Boba Fett to be in this series. He needs to get his own film, with Daniel Logan playing Boba.

fishtailsam likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd love to see a film on how he handles his father's death, and how he becomes the bounty hunter. Make it in the vein of Batman Begins if you must. I felt it was unfair how sloppily they wrapped up his story in AOTC and not have at least a scene or two of him in ROTS.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    "Get em Dad foire" ^:)^

17. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    There was supposed to be a story about Fett in RoTS. Lucas simply didn't have enough time to include it.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Hey, I agree with you that Boba Fett is a character with a fantastic design and little on film development. You're not dropping any knowledge on any reasonably intelligent Star Wars fan,with that one, no matter how insulting you've make yourself sound. I only hope the "you" you've mentioned in "if it makes you feel any better... two jetpacks" nonsense. We all know what Boba Fett is. I've said as much in my posts. Over and over again.

You're right, if it were Dengar in that pit nobody would care, but it wasn't. Yes, all of the "cool" that was later bestowed upon Boba could have been given to any other character, but again, it wasn't. It was given to Boba. The fact is, Fett was blessed with that great design and a plethora of EU tales which taken together, have added up to a fine character who is loved by an awful lot of folks. For me, the fact that his on screen development is thus far incongruent with his EU portrayal is the very thing which makes him a fine candidate for on screen development.

Nobody starts out as a great character, they are developed into one. Lucas admitted to himself (and later to the public) that he'd misread the audience's response to Boba Fett and I'd wager that if more films were made in the 1980s, Fett would have been given his development on screen rather than in the comics and novels and what-have-you. At the time, this was the only way to further any character. Why shouldn't some folks want for Boba to be given this treatment on screen now, especially in light of Lucas' public 180 concerning Fett's survival? Additionally, it seems likely that given Boba's immense popularity with a large contingent of the fan base, Disney would itself be interested in exploring the potential that would arise from inserting Fett in these pictures.

I guess I just don't see what's so "really stupid" about any of that. If someone says they just plain don't like resurrecting characters - cool. Rather these films focus on new characters? Again, cool, but the little we've gleaned thus far has us expecting the return of some OT characters along with the new heroes / villains. But to bemoan the idea because Fett's just a walking toy advertisement who was never developed not only ignores his very sizable EU development and shows a lack of understanding of the situation on any number of fronts.

I'll grant you the frustration with Lucas' waffling, but it's his sandbox, y'know? To me, his word is final. It's a fine discussion (if a bit overdone after all these years), it's just too bad we couldn't have carried it in a more civilzed manner.

19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    You're dang right I'm ignoring his EU development! Campaigning for a character resurrection because someone wrote a cool book about him after the fact - when there's so much that could be done in another character without a ridiculous retcon - is what I find stupid. Chewie's probably not going to die in the ST (at least, not in the way he did in the EU,) and I'll be surprised if Thrawn (whom we can all agree is the most successful EU series) is included. What makes Fett so special?

Oh right, back to the costume.

I say, let someone else wear the exact same costume. You can even give it to someone with a rich EU development. Pruneface Fett anyone?

20. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Ugh.
    Unless they hire Chris Claremont (former and bestest writer of the X-men comics) to create the film:
    Boba Fett: He Was Dead, But He 'Got Better'.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, it's obvious what makes Fett so special, isn't it? It's simply that he's beloved by a very large group of fans and that would make a "resurrection" attractive to both they and LucasFilm / Disney. The fact that so many potential paying customers love Fett and are likely to flock to any merchandising featuring him is what makes him so special. I just don't know of a more straightforward way of putting it.. Personally, my only argument is that I like what's been done with the guy in the EU and would like to see more of that development put to Boba on screen, but much more important than the fact that I like the idea or that you don't will be the decisions made by George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, Michael Arndt, the director and the rest of the powers-that-be. If you can't see why they may find it a good move to make, then I don't know what else to say.

As to the notion of a rediculous retcon, you may or may not be right as this is a matter of opinion, of course. What is important to me in matters of characters and canon has always been Lucas' vision. Boba Fett's survival on Tatooine has been done with Lucas' approval and I thought that story-wise, it was handled about as well as these type of things can be. The gift inherent with the retcon has been years of stories that so many have enjoyed and that's been a good thing for both those who enjoyed the tales and for LucasFilm.

22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Eh, to each his own I guess. For my money, I'd rather see Jar-Jar back as Luke's second-in-command on the Jedi Council and a clone army of Jar-Jars that shoot sarlaccs than Boba Fett's return.

TreborSabreon and DarthBoba like this.
  23. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    Boba is alive and well, he got Spitted out of the Sarlacc pit with Weequay! Robot Chicken actually did what George did not have time or the budget to do for ROTJ.

So there you have it all you infidels! ahahahaha[face_laugh]

24. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010

Gungans showed stay far far away from the sequels, like in another galaxy all together. We had Ewoks for our generation to live with and the new generation had Gungans. I hope we don't have a hat trick with another weird stupid looking illogical race in the sequels..

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What exactly is ridiculous about it?

If Dengar had fallen into the Sarlacc we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, partly because Dengar had no means to escape because he wasn't packed with more weapons than Jabba's Sail Barge and armour made from the same stuff they fit to starship hulls. That is why Fett's escape is totally plausible and would easily work, regardless of whether it is needed.

I'm betting if the Sarlacc had swallowed a Jedi most would argue for said Jedi's return since they could apparently easily escape because they they have teh lazer swordz and deh forssss omg!!!!
    OK, Boba has missiles and fire and blades and a starship capable of standing up to a Star Destroyer he could summon to aid him.

TreborSabreon likes this.