main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Waru is in all things.

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Stang, I was hoping for Waru to be in EpVII...

I would totally go for a book from a Hutt perspective. The closest thing we got were the Hutt POVs in the Han Solo Trilogy, and these were awesome IMO... and Hutt schemings against the background of the Great Hyperspace War have the potential to be so wicked.

Hrm. Does anyone know if there's any good TotJ-era fan fiction out there? Seeing as this will never happen...

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Fair enough.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-official-episode-vii-and-the-eu-thread.50004896/page-12]Here's[/url] one that says it "looks like it must" be the case.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/disney-wars-episode-7-and-the-eu-disney-purchasing-lucasfilm-intends-to-release-ep-7-in-2015.50004776/page-7]Here's[/url] one from the thread we're in.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/why-all-the-eu-hatred.50005097/page-47]Here's[/url] another, using the "passing the torch" comment as evidence.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/crucible-by-troy-denning.50003408/page-14]More[/url] from the Crucible thread.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/official-sequel-trilogy-let-the-wild-speculation-begin.50004856/page-5]Repeating[/url] the same "passing the torch" in another thread.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-legacy-era-will-fotj-st-and-legacy-ever-connect.50006434/]And[/url] here's me mentioning the speculation, someone saying they think it's true, and me saying there's no proof.

Basically it boils down to this: Crucible was stated by Del Rey that it would be "passing the torch" and people are assuming it means the EU rather than moving on from the Big Three. That's it. I think that it's somewhat unlikely, considering that there are other books being published afterwards - if that was really the case, wouldn't Crucible be bumped to be after the last announced book? There's one scenario I can think of where it all could be true - an "explanation" novel about how the "new movies" will be separate from the continuing EU, but that's more of a hope than actual speculation.

Like I said, I'm not saying there's no chance that it's true. I'm saying that there's so little information right now that there isn't a way to make an educated guess with any degree of certainty.

I'm also saying that I love reading the Ep VII forums because the phrase "educated guess with any degree of certainty" has absolutely no meaning there. It's the Internet at its worst, which is to say the Internet at its best.

cthugha likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's about 75% of them. If I click directly to them, the images work fine, but if I go look up anything on the Wook, the infobox image and all the images interspersed just don't appear. I *suspect* it might have something to do with the new image slideshow feature thing.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, okay, that's what I figured you were saying. I think it just caught a lot of people's eye because you said "rumors" instead of "fan speculation". I don't believe it personally, and I'm certainly not asserting that you believed it. :p

6. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No, but I know that people regularly like to present "fan speculation" as "hard fact". I figure it's only a matter of time before it shows up in the Wookieepedia article for the novel...

7. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    There is likely going to be a movie novelization. Assuming Del Rey still has the license, and Leland and/or Pablo get to read the movie script in advance, it is possible that Del Rey could have enough advanced notice to try to "fix" the post-ROTJ EU with the help of the novelization author, if at all possible, in advance of the film coming out.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I have the same problem.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That is entirely possible, actually. But I don't think the books we know about currently have anything to do with that; whatever plot elements might ultimately need fixing are probably still very much up in the air, and will be at least until casting starts.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm thinking that's why SOTJ was announced, to transform her from the character we see at the end of FOTJ to the character we see at the beginning of Episode VII. Same thing with Crucible for the Big Three.

fistofan1 likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Though I don't think it's the case, Crucible could at least theoretically be used to reposition the Big Three into something resembling the ST status quo. But no amount of transformation could turn Jaina into a 25-year-old named Susan.

12. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Here's a really horrible idea...that could actually "fix" the EU and technically keep it all as one single continuity...from a certain point of view.

During the events of Sword of the Jedi, the "bad guys" of the novels learn how to flow walk. They attempt to kill the big three some time in the early post-ROTJ EU, they fail, but cause major changes in the timeline, thus resetting continuity such that it is set up for the events of Episode VII. This is what we can call the "Star Trek" reboot scenario. I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this idea as this thread is way too long to go searching.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You really underestimate the kind of magic they can do at the Aurora Medical Facility.

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I would absolutely hate to see that happen, but it would at least somewhat save the existing EU. That would have to be LFL's last resort plan, to be used in a situation where no other retcons would work.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Apocalypse's apparent move away from Legacy is to lead into the ST instead.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's come up, yeah. Though, if it were a choice between one and the other, I'd take a straight reboot over some IU timetravel thing any day of the week.

17. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Sure, but if was a choice between a "time travel reboot" and simply ending the concept of continuity, I'd still take the time travel route. I'm concerned that it will be considered too complicated to go through the existing material and decide what stays and what goes in order to reform a new rebooted continuity to fit with the sequels, and they'll just decide to abandon continuity and go the Star Trek route. The problem we have is that a few of the novels are really well known and continue to sell really well. If they don't completely fit, in order to keep them printed and selling, the route of no continuity allows them to continue being in print.

Besides all of that, all of the novels have been printing timelines in them for years now. If some of those need to get pulled from the timeline, all of this is going to get really messy.

The one major positive of some kind of "time travel" scenario might be that (a) fan favorite characters that were killed off can potentially be re-introduced and re-imagined and (b) current characters could somehow be saved from the timeline change through some kind of hokey sci-fi or Force based concept and re-appear in the new rebooted timeline as characters from an alternate universe / timeline.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Ending the concept of continuity" isn't ever going to be on the table, even if discontinuing the current continuity might be.

19. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    How do you know? I personally think it is the most likely outcome at this point.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It would be foolish, but there's never a shortage of fools - especially in the business world.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I highly, highly doubt something like that would happen. People here panic way too easily.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If they have no plans to ever stop making movies, why bother with continuity between anything else?

24. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Exactly. A continuous stream of movies could make it extremely difficult to have a consistent EU even if rebooted.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That's odd. Could it be the skin? I use the Monobook skin, and if an image doesn't show up, it's because my AdBlocker filtered it, though it will show up if I click the image and view it at full size. If it's due to the slideshow feature... Easiest way to avoid that? Switch to the Monobook skin. That skin doesn't have all the needless bells and whistles that the ever-glitchy Wikia default skin has, and it's promoted by the Wook. </plug>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.