main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I do like the sound of that one.

2. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Skywalker, that's actually a really cool plot idea. Got my gears turning as well while reading it.

EDIT: What if some of the left-behind Jedi go crazy when they are thawed out? They could become antagonists or try and go to side with the Empire.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm still in the planning stages, but I was planning on that happening. We would just need people willing to go Sithly/crazy and work with the Empire. Or have me NPC a couple. Either works :p

4. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I'd definitely play it.

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Right, so anyway, after a lot of thought and after a lot of soul-searching, I'm thinking to actually skip Continuum in favour of this...

[​IMG]

It's ten years after the end of Mass Effect 3.

There will be two threads operating:

One where a Paragon Shepard chose a "Control" ending.

One where a Renegade Shepard chose a "Destroy" ending.

Original characters only; no canon characters allowed as PCs (though people can also import their characters from previous ME games on the forum, and you are of course welcome to play the same character in both threads for a different experience.) Did your favourite NPC from ME2/ME3 survive into this universe, indeed did they prosper? Well, why not play IC and find out?

(There will be background information about what happened in the intervening 10 years, of course, to give your character a context.)

There will be a bigger, overarching storyline in both threads, but you will have lots and lots of space for sandboxing and character play - indeed the character creation process will probably include the mechanic I'd planned to use on Monstrance in that you will have to pick a background hook for your character.

I also intend to bring back a mechanic that Lightside_Apprentice used in IBOP: players will have a genuine opportunity to influence the ME universe - provided they put in the work. Want to wind up a Turian Hierarch? Command the Hanar School of Assassins? Become the third human Spectre? Save the galaxy? None of these are beyond you, but don't expect to be able to achieve these goals overnight. Put in time, thought, and interest into your posts, and do so regularly, and these goals become possible if not probable.

In truth, this is in development by me right now, so this is really an interest check. So: do I have your attention? [face_devil]

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So what's the timeframe with respect to the ending? Will I be hopelessly lost if I haven't played ME3, or is it going to be sufficiently independent?

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Probably sufficiently independent. You won't be terribly lost - I'll have an OOC thread with briefings on the subject. It has been 10 years since the events of ME 3.

EDIT: Also, technology won't be mindblowingly advanced since ME2/ME3; for different reasons, both futures anticipate not a lot of explosive increases in tech over the previous decades. So your Avengers and Black Widows are still going to work. ;)

8. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Honestly (despite me being burnt out on ME) that sounds like an interesting idea. Buuuuttt...if I'm going to get my new idea up, I don't have time to play it :p

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Wait, I thought it was an ME game. </Terrible joke>

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  10. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Speaking of my new game (working on an OP for the Game Group)...do you all think it should be mostly on Tython, with the occasional foray into the greater galaxy?

(this excludes possible insane/Sithly characters who purposely leave to seek out the Empire)

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Saintheart - right when I get out of ME3 ending stuff, you pull me back in! :p

12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Put it this way, because it'll be freeform there'll be much less need to worry about whether to put different rifle barrels on weapons. On the other hand, I'm not exactly expecting people to have sufficient funds to carry around Collector Particle Rifles and M-920 Cains at the game's outset, either. You don't start as incredibly well-armed or well-resourced, any more than the original Shepard did. Those things must be earned. ;)

13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I didn't say I was going to do a Synthesis-vomit-green ending, did I? ;)

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Depends how many different biomes you can come up with for Tython, IMHO. That's the main reason the galaxy exists in the GFFA - so you can happily go from Dune to Winterfell in the space of a few FTL hours ;)

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, I see that (and boredom from having a small group) as being the main problem with staying on Tython. Most likely, it would be a case of 'working our way up and off the planet'. A bit of a survival setting, until we get enough working ships (old antiques, but still ships) to leave. Assuming the crazy/Sithly types don't steal them all :p

EDIT: Another note...I'm not a fan of 'rigid' storylines in RP's. So this would most likely be more character driven, and 'make it up as we go'. There would be an overarching story (stupid not to have one), but it wouldn't constrict anything.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    While we're throwing around ideas - it wouldn't be for a couple of weeks until my finals are over, but would anyone be game for a Peckinpah-inspired western? The focus would be on a gang of outlaws as they make their final, desperate run from the law, possibly with spectacularly violent results. The "gimmick" - which isn't really a gimmick, mind - would be that since it's an RPG, the actions the players take will ultimately determine their destinies, rather than the usual "This will only end in tragedy" approach such films usually take.

... Yes I did just rewatch The Wild Bunch.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm not the outlaw type sadly :p

And my final's end next week, which is (coupled with the month-long break) the only reason I'm contemplating starting this new one :p

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I know I already expressed my interest to you in the chat, but I also wanted to post it here for the record:

You can count me in! :)

19. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Saintheart I'd love a game with an inventory.

I'd write up a character for ME4 in a heartbeat. Call it catharsis considering the debacle that was ME3's script :p

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I have the OP for my new idea posted in the Game Group now. For those who are interested in it ;)

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I think Saintheart should blow everyone's mind and make it so that Kaidan survived on Virmire.

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    What, as a Paragon decision or a Renegade decision? O:)

23. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Either or. Anyway Miranda is better than Ashley, considering all assets ;)

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I tend to agree with dat assessment.

25. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I assume Shepard keeps Miranda around for her assassination skills against various types of assailants, while Ashley, though assertive and good on most assignments, rarely assents to his opinions and does not like to associate with foreign species. Butt I digress.

Saintheart and BLemelisk like this.