main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Disney Chief Alan Horn: Lucas "very, very involved on a consulting basis".

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Nov 30, 2012.

1. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Thanks! I'd just like to add that the OT had lots of problems too and was also divisive for the fanbase :)

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    True. The difference is, fans didn't have to wait 16 years for TESB or ROTJ and there was no widespread Internet use.

Varguitas and LawJedi like this.
  3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    How do you misunderstand "George Lucas is a terrtible writer/director" ??? I didn't misunderstand, I think you're totally wrong. BIG difference.

eht13 likes this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It was always said that Lucas would be involved in this capacity. If it hadn't, we should even assume it. I don't know why so many had the misconception that Lucas was completely abandoning STAR WARS, Lucas "sold out", and the whole movie was completely up for grabs for any insert-name-of-director-of-currently-popular-movie was going to take it over and completely revolutionize it, making it look like whatever movie makes people throw his name out there.

5. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    If flies had money, they'd buy sh@t!!!!

6. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    And there'd be Fly Fanboys to whine about it. Plenty of people thought the OT was "sh@t!!!!" including almost every great living SF author from the time, many popular scientists, and plenty of film critics. One man's you-know-what is another man's treasure. But thanks for the balanced & well reasoned response, Been-Here-Since-Thursday!

7. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I think I've said that before in which the haters gained a great megaphone with the Internet.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Among other things, the Luke/Leia shippers were royally pissed over ROTJ.

Esg and Count Yubnub like this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    One would hope so. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh, if only tumblr existed back then. The reaction gifs would be astounding!

krtmd likes this.
  11. Darth Vito

Darth Vito Jedi Padawan

Dec 1, 2012
    I'm quite certain Lucas already had the ST story laid out before there was any discussion with Disney. That way he could have control over the direction they take it. I assure you this was a stipulation for the whole deal... his basic story had to remain intact, and there were probably certain things that could or could not happen to the main characters. I seriously doubt Lucas would have it any other way.

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012

There's nowt wrong with changing ideas. I have been working on a comic book with my missus, we have an outline for how it all pans out but every so often when we work on a specific scene one of us will say "hey, how about we do x instead of y". Sometimes its minor stuff and other times changes are major. The end point doesn't change, just the way we get there.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh, I don't mind changing ideas. I was just trying to illustrate that George has said a lot of different things over the years, and it's difficult to figure out what to believe. Did he have a plan for 7,8, and 9 all along, or is the ST going to be based on a new idea?

oierem likes this.
  14. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    A lot of those old Sci-Fi guys were jealous as hell man. Ha,ha.

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    "A lot of those old Sci-Fi guys were jealous as hell man. Ha,ha"

So are a lot of Fanboys!

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Absolutely! And amen! I want George to be involved at the very least as a consultant. In fact, I should mention that, despite all the haters, I would be equally ecstatic about the ST IF he had said that he was writing, directing and producing it instead of Disney.

I see both sides of this thing. At one point (and this may still be on the table) there were going to be as many as 12 Episodes. GL has changed his tune many times over the years, which is fine by me. It alwasy keeps us guessing! :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    True, as a storyteller GL likes to shock or surprise his audience ;)

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Or just give us vertigo. :)

19. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Who's a fanboy?

20. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Some mod favorite.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    He also said he was finished with SW and that there would never be an Episode VII ;)

23. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Horn may have been playing up Lucas's involvement, but the sense I get from Lucas is that he's downplaying it. I have a feeling that he's just tired of being hassled about it or doesn't want the extent of his involvement to be known because of how much crap he's taken over the last 15 years. That could very well just be wishful thinking on my part though.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just wait. Soon Lucas will be saying that there were actually 15 parts to the story.
    And that he was the one that invented the internets.

Pro Scoundrel and Esg like this.
  25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'd say it's wishful thinking.

He's a consultant, that is about the least involved he can be while still pleasing the small number of Lucas Loyalists who demand his continuing involvement.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.