main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Matthew Vaughn Directing...unofficially confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JaimePrater, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Well, i think ROTJ deserves a 8.8, not a 8.4.

My point is, i think the difference is too little between ROTS and ROTJ in IMDB: only 0.7 points? ROTJ is a far superior movie. It should be at least +1.5 points.

But..i supose we already knew IMDB and Rottentomatoes are not very reliable.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I just re-watched Xmen first class and was amazed at how good Vaughn is at making you care about teens with completely unbelievable powers. I can only think of a handful of movies that heavily featured teens that didn't annoy the hell out of me and First Class is one of them. I'd also put the Potter films and the most recent Hunger Games in that group as well. I usually cringe when teens are acting like teens and let's face it... the powers that some of the teens have in Xmen First Class are simply silly at times. A girl with bug wings? A red-haired kid that screams in order to fly? Kevin Bacon wearing Magneto's helmet? The blonde from Mad Men looking like a shining diamond?

It's no small miracle that Xmen first class is as moving and as entertaining as it is despite these absurdities and hurdles in terms of "suspension of disbelief." It's even more encouraging taht Vaughn felt like it was his duty to try and recapture the feel of comic books by not shying away from the absurdities and instead embracing them and creating a world where these things are normal. Favreau's Iron Man, by comparison, seemed much easier to pull off given that it didn't have as big a cast to establish, didn't have to showcase any silly mutant powers, didn't have any teens, and had Robert Downy Jr in a role he was born to play. Plus, Iron Man's basically Marvel's version of Batman so it's all about expensive gadgets and tech, and billionaire playboy antics, which is always easier to sell to an audience than bug wings and banshee screams. Xmen First Class actually had to try and make some truly absurd things seem fairly believable and in many cases he did. And he couldn't just have it all rendered via CG like Favreau could have with Iron Man. In many of Iron Man's battles they just had to motion capture and then use animation to make Iron Man fight. In Xmen: FC they actually had to use real humans against green screen and in my opinion... that requires a little more finesse than an entire computer rendered fight scene starring a robotic suit.

The fact that I was moved during the Magneto/Xavier scenes, the fact that I was thrilled during the mutant training scenes, the fact that I was reveling in Magneto's revenge scene at the bar with those two nazis, and marveling at the scene where Shaw attacks the CIA compound and the devil-guy is morphing all over the place and killing agents... this all bodes extremely well in my opinion for his ability to make people care about Star Wars because Jedis and their powers are actually more believable than many of the things I saw in this movie. Also, let's not underestimate the music of John Williams which was obviously completely absent in Xmen FC (and Iron Man for that matter); that music will be a nice weapon in any director's aresnal. I think Sebastian Shaw was a solid villain but I can imagine Thrawn being even better. I also liked how he handled Charles "teachings" with Magneto and his conversations with him in his mind. It reminded me a lot of how Obi Wan spoke to Luke at times and how we might have more of those conversations in the future. In fact, Magneto basically embraced the dark side (so to speak) by the end and it was chilling and felt believable. I think that again bodes well for Star Wars since turns like that will almost certainly be present.

Like Peter Jackson was before LOTR, I really get a sense that Vaughn is peaking creatively at the right time for something like this.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree about RotJ. I think we're sometimes blinded by the fact that the final showdown with Luke/Vader/Palps is so good. That is without a doubt an A+ section of the film. However, the rest of the film is meandering and inconsistent. I would definitely rate RotS as the better film.

4. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    If ROTJ is a 40% rotten, then ROTS should be a 20%. Yes, i hate the PT so much :p

I mean, i would pay money to be Episode VII as good as ROTJ. And even more money If it's as good as ESB.

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Each to their own but you are in a minority because a hell of alot of people think ROTS is better than ROTJ because Lucas went KID friendly with EWOKS & PUPPETS yes the final showdown with Vader & Luke was amazing but you put a KID friendly movie ahead of the darkest Star Wars movie ROTS ? don't understand it .

6. Alderaan Luke

Nov 6, 2012
    First, i'm not a minority because as we've seen ROTJ has better rating than ROTS in IMDB and Rotten. About the "kid friendly". Yes, that's true, but a movie is not better if it's darker just because it's darker, and a movie is not worse just because it's kiddy. It does not work that way. ROTJ, for me and a lot of people, is better than ROTS because of better plot, less CGI and better dialogue, and characters. Trust me, the order is this one: ESB > ANH > ROTJ > ROTS > AOTC > TPM.

7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    When I watch ROTJ I can't shake off the feeling that most of the principals were tired of Star Wars at this point. Lucas had family issues and wanted to wrap it all up, Kasdan was only writing the script as a favor to Lucas (and judging by the quality of it, didn't help much), Ford looked bored or annoyed (especially in the ewok scenes, but who could blame him), Carrie was all coked out. The exception is the ever dependable Williams, JEJ, Prowse and Mark Hamill. Ok, Jabba was an impressive villain. All in all, it's really Mark who carries most of the movie. If it wasn't for him, I'd write it off as a failure. It's also the least visually diverse Star Wars film. I know it sounds odd, but it has both my favorite scenes in the saga (Luke and Vader) and also the ones it's hardest for me so sit through (most of Endor).

8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Before the Special Edition I always though all the Jabba's Palace stuff was pretty dark. It had the feeling and lighting of a junkie drug party. Now Jedi Rocks, kinda messes that up lol.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    ROTJ is a paradox for me. Between the return to Tatooine and another Death Star the general outline is incredibly lazy. But the action in these scenes is first class, so I love watching them even if I know it's kind of a lame retread. The Luke/Vader confrontation scenes are amazing. Leia being remembered in this episode primarily because of a bikini is lame. The film features little teddy bears who hand out beatdowns to armored troops, which is incredibly stupid and insanely awesome at the same time.

I can never decide if it's the worst or the best.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    ROTS has much poorer acting than ROTJ. Also the action sequences of the movie are better IMO, ROTS is too effects-heavy. The end of the film is great, not so much ROTS for me.
    Hayden had to carry most of ROTS and failed, Hamill had to carry most of ROTJ and managed it pretty well.

I also think McDiarmid is better in ROTJ than he is in ROTS, he certainly looks way more creepy.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Trust me I've seen alot of orders & it goes like this :
    ESB - ANH - ROTS - ROTJ - AOTC - TPM .

12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Riiight, with two out of three leads sleepwalking through most of the film.

All Star Wars movies are effects heavy. At least ROTS has some new interesting locales.

The original or the SE?

I'm not sure Hayden was supposed to carry the movie the way Mark was. I think the emotional core is provided by Obi-Wan and Yoda. Anakin is a troubled young man who crumbles under pressure. Luke, on the other hand, is driven by moral conviction. If we don't root for him, the movie fall apart.

I was always underwhelmed by the Emperor. The prequels actually made me respect him a lot more. I think the most menacing Sidious is, surprisingly, in TPM.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I still need to see Stardust. I really liked the book by Neil Gaiman, but I've heard it doesn't really follow it. Not that that's a bad thing obviously. I need to see Layer Cake as well.

14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I really liked Stardust, and was expecting to hate it.

15. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Me to

16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I just saw it for the first time last night and was really impressed. I wrote up some of my thoughts about it, probably a page or two back. I highly recommend it. In fact of the 3 Vaughn movies I've seen I'd say Stardust is by far his best and displayed a deftness at everything we look for in a genre director. I wouldn't doubt if he got the gig just based off that one movie.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  17. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Even the movies he produced like "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" were freaking great. I personally think he's got the Golden Touch and SW would be right up his alley creatively. Maybe we'd get some good guys with British accents for a change. ;)

18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Blasphemy! If they're just going to populate Star Wars with British actors without even overdubbing them, then they might as well bring back the Empire! :p

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    [​IMG]

Alec Guinness is peering into your very soul. And thinking of asking for your number.

Mystery_Roach and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  20. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
    God - what I wouldn't have given to see Alec AND Christopher Lee AND Peter Cushing all onscreen together in the same Star Wars film!

21. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Didin't they used to do the old Hammer horror films? Dracula etc... You could watch those and use your imagination. :p

Panakas_Dawg and Darthsuggs like this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't recall Guinness ever being in those, but Cushing and Lee were regular co-stars.

23. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, I thought so. I was convinced that "Dooku" was like swahili or something for "Dracula." LOL

24. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
    Alec Guinness wasn't. And I don't feel like adding lightsabers to "The Curse of Frankenstein" or "Hound of the Baskervilles." LOL

[​IMG]

"So, you were the Emperor's Apprentice at one time? Ever destroy an entire planet? No? Well..."

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  25. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I'd love for Christoph Waltz to play the mentor role Alec G. and Neeson played previous. My hunch is that it's going to be Luke's role though.