main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Vote: Jon Favreau, Matthew Vaughn or David Fincher.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Out of the 3 front runner directors, who would you choose?

1. Jon Favreau

27.8%
  2. Matthew Vaughn

47.6%
  3. David Fincher

24.6%
  1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    There are what seems like to be a million threads on this already, but I haven't seen a poll yet. Sorry if one exists. Latest news out of Entertainment sources believe it may be one of these three:
    • Jon Favreau
    • Matthew Vaughn
    • David Fincher
    Cast your vote!

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I like all 3 and will be pleased if its any one of them. However, David Fincher is my current favorite director which is why I voted Matthew Vaughn.

Matthew Vaughn has already been chosen I believe. IMO Peter Flemyng let the cat out of the bag last week.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd be fine with any of them, as well. But, I voted Vaughn.

4. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    According to my vote, it will be Jon Favreau, but I'm sure whoever it is will do it justice and treat the project with the respect it merits. If it's one of these three guys, then great, I trust KK to make the right choices.

Echo-07 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  5. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Ra Ra Fincher,
    He's our Man,
    If he can't direct Episode 7
    Favreau or Vaughn probably can.

Seriously though, i'd be fine with any of these guys.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I voted Favreau because his name was listed first. I'll take any of these 3.

7. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Wow! I'm surprised! With all the heavy debating going on around here, I thought the arguments would be a flowing. However it looks like almost everyone here is cool with any of the three.

I think realistically, the most likely (starting from most probable to least probable):
    1# Vaughn
    2# Favreau
    3# Fincher

My order would be:
    1# Favreau (His style is more like what I'd like to see in ST, maybe even cast himself LOL)
    2# Vaughn (XMEN 1st Class is ok... Kick-ass I liked for what it was, but too dark for SW IMO)
    3# Fincher (again, too dark too serious)

8. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    But did you see Stardust?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I chose Fincher because quite frankly he's the best director of the three and I'd salivate at the opportunity to see him tackle this type of film with his visual style. Vaughn is very solid so far in his career and I think he's the most likely hire. Favreau I think gets a lot of goodwill but he hasn't really proven he can do a climactic action scene. With that said, I am cool with Favs getting the gig as well.

I'd rank them 1. Fincher 2. Vaughn 3. Favreau Really though guys, if those are the final three we could have done FAR worse.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  10. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I can't lie, I only saw bits of it as it was a "background" movie at a friends house. From what I saw of it it wasn't bad. Heck, I put Vaughn #2.

Also Favreau is from Queens, NY! Vaughn is from the UK ;) Who want's a tea drinker? Give me NYC any day! Fuh-get-about it! J/K :cool:

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  11. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Bay
    Abrams
    Whedon

[face_sick]

Fettcrom likes this.
  12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Favreau or Vaughn would be fine.

13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    OH, don't forget my favorite director to hate -- M. Night Shamalamadingdong.

phatdude1138 and Darthsuggs like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You want to talk about FAR worse?

Bay
    Sommers
    McG

Darthsuggs likes this.
  15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I think Fincher is technically the superior filmmaker, but IMO he's a serious filmmaker and SW is adventure fantasy, which is not his genre. So I voted for Favreau, largely because Cowboys and Aliens is underrated and gets no love, and he's also a very capable producer. The same can be said for Vaughn, who I think would do fine, but I favor Favreau for the IM flicks and C&A.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I really liked Cowboys & Aliens.

17. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Your far worse list makes way more sense than phatdude1138's far worse list.

Tan-Wessel and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Whoa nelly! Michael Bay is awful I don't know who Sommers is and I would normally agree with you on McG. I mean, c'mon, anyone who would go by the name McG just can't be taken seriously. That said I really liked Terminator: Salvation.

19. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    And I like "The Rock" and "The Mummy" but I don't want them around star wars lol.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Stephen Sommers.

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It took me three viewings before I began to see it as something a little better and deeper and more interesting than a sci-fi shoot-em-up. I mean, it is that, but it's extremely engaging on an emotional level, which for whatever reason -- call it snarky cynicism -- I didn't perceive on my first two viewings.

Zathura was pretty well-made, too. The man knows how to helm a genre film.

22. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    The Rock was a Bay film wasn't it?

And I never said I wanted McG around Star Wars but I think there are worse directors than him.

23. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

It is indeed.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Fincher is great but I can't see him copying the "house style", for lack of a better term, for a full-fledged Star Wars episode movie. Fincher doing a side-story in the SW verse? Sign me up! But, if anything, ep. 7-9 should look like the movies that preceeded it. I'm not talking about CGI usage I'm talking just about camera usage and so forth. Fincher movies look great but they look like David Fincher movies. Which is I dig his flicks but maybe not for the "big show".

Vaugn's style is a bit less pronounced than Fincher, which is cool, and I love First Class & Kick-Ass. But Favreau seems like a complete package where he could mimic the movie visually, he just has to tone down on the "improv riffing" that seems into the edges of even his more mainstream stuff. Also he already voices a bad guy in the Star Wars universe so he gets extra points and gets the job.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  25. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I liked it, but having Ford in it helped too!