main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jedi Temple and the Senate in Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Dec 2, 2012.

1. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    I Kinda think you're both right. DarkGinger's account on how the jedi are introduced to the new republic makes alot of sense. However after 30yrs, I don't feel Luke is just getting started on the New Jedi search and training. I think he would have already established a new temple or training ground. Just waiting for the need to reveil themselves to the republic. Just my opinion

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I guess my take is that, it takes a considerable amount of time to settle things out. They took down the Emperor, Vader and the Deathstar. Coruscant and many worlds celebrated. But there are thousands of systems governed by Imperial Governors. And it doesn't necessarily mean the Rebels immediately take over the government or be welcomed into positions of power. It doesn't mean they get to RUN anything at ALL. Thirty years is nothing. They could have spent those years fighting off fugitive Governors, who refuse to cede power. Episode 7 could open with the New Republic itself being reinstated. I think the Jedi Order is something different.

That said, I do think that Leia is the "Mother" to both new organizations. She reinstates the New Republic, and orders the reinstatement of the Jedi Order (run by Luke)

darthjj88 likes this.
  3. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    That's a cracking post DarkJediGinger.
    The larger galatic population probably would turn on any jedi/sith after their clash led to the clone wars, empirical rule and civil war.
    Either way an outcast line of jedi probably would make a fantastic plot point to lukes continuing story.

DarkGingerJedi and darthjj88 like this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    30 years is a lot of time considering the way things tend to happen in these movies. I guess I've always just felt that the Imperial Remnant of the EU probably wasn't Lucas's vision of how things would play out after the Battle of Endor. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying as much in an audio commentary too, but I couldn't quote him at this time, and there would probably be room for interpretation anyway. I do like your ideas about Leia though.

As far as the galactic public perception of the Jedi... while there are probably many who were brainwashed by the Empire to believe that the Jedi were bad, I suspect that after 20 or so years of living under the Empire's rule most of them would be glad to get back to the way things were, and I think there's little doubt that Luke would be hailed as a hero by the majority of the population.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Lucas did say the Senate would come back after ROTJ.

6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I can see both of them being needed for the ST. I expect Luke has started to resurrect the Jedi Order and the Senate must start to rebuild the Republic. Also, there's no conceivable reason not to use them. The Emperor clearly felt comfortable with his control and would NOT have sacked them out of spite.

7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Right, but in fairness I don't think he actually gave a time frame.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think it wouldn't take that long, and certainly it should be there by the most commonly speculated timeframe.

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    You'll get no argument from me. Just thought I should play devil's advocate for a moment.

10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    My pet theory;

1-10 years after RotJ: fragile beginnings of New Republic. Vacuum of Power. Some Order is reestablished. Imperial Governors who haven't ceded power, are hunted down. Clashing factions seek to control various elements of galaxy.
    10-20 years after RotJ: Things begin to settle down. Perhaps at this point, the Senate is reinstated. First elections are held.
    20-30 years after RotJ: Leia is elected Supreme Channselor, or some variation.

Ep 7 picks up with her role in chasing down last vestiges of Imperial remnants. There are fugitives, gangs, warring factions still controlling various corners of the Galaxy.

And where's Luke? He went into hiding. Settled on some distant world, studying the force. Perhaps he's taken on a padawan (perhaps Leia/Hans offspring). But that's it. I'd almost say, Leia and Han haven't spoken to him in years. To the galaxy he's just a long lost, presumed dead, hero of the rebellion. Until that point, where a big threat is revealed and he feels the Force calling him into action. He and his padawan (or jedi knight) take action. Over the course of the ST, the citizenry of the galaxy being to trust the Jedi again.

Leia's role is to birth both new orders. She takes the reigns of democratic power and creates the New Republic. As a threat immerges, she orders a New Jedi Order, run by Luke, with her children as it's lineage. Luke could then train 12 new deciples - muck akin to Camelot / Arthurian Legend. He then dies in the process, and the new guys take his place and vanquish the last threat.

LawJedi and Echo-07 like this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    This actually makes a fair amount of sense to me, and at various points since the ST was announced I've considered something very much along these lines. If nothing else, having Luke be in hiding would be an excellent excuse for him to have a rockin' beard. :D

My own theories seem to vary from day to day, so one day I might agree with you and another I might not. But as fun as all this wild speculation is, I'm rather looking forward to the time when we have a bit of leaked info to go on.

12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    You and I are very similar in our theories. I however vary in that Luke isn't in hiding but probably on a remote planet establishing a new basis for the Jedi Order. I suspect he will have spent some time learning eberything from the archives about the Old Jedi Order in order to divine is strengths and weaknesses. I esxpect when we pick up the story he'll have a small cadre or council of strong Force initiates, if not masters, while also training younger padawans to include the Solo twins. But not in hiding per se, just out of the way.

Also, when the Mandalorians (my pet villain) makes a bold gambit for some power structure Leia is forced to call upin the New Jedi Order knowing they are not ready.

Again, our theories are extremely similar.

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Ooh, I like that 12 disciples idea.

14. Neil lowery

Neil lowery Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2012
    I would like the Jedi temple , replaced by a giant statue of Kitster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Palpatine was a twisted old freak! He probably used to walk through it, buzzing at the scene of his greatest triumph and left the remains of dead Jedi, kids and all as a reminder to all, not to mess with him!

16. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Would any surviving, new Jedi, New Republic, not be slightly wary of Luke and Leia, due to their genocidal Father? Citizen's of the new Republic may also be wary of giving any position's of power to force users based on previous bad experiences?

17. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    You just know McGregor's Kenobi, was a mad shagger!

18. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Yeppers! Palpy kept the temple around and dressed it up as a sort of anti-Jedi propaganda platform, apparently (wookieepedi).

19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I have a feeling that if Luke took a good 5 to 10 years to hone his jedi powers and started the process to reignite the jedi order, there will still be a handful of Jedi roaming the galaxy.

Echo-07 likes this.
  20. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Because there wasn't enough room on the napkin that the script for Episode III was written on to tie things up so it made an ounce of sense leading into IV. Oh well. Guess it's up to us fans to come up with Marvel No-Prize type excuses to make this nonsense fly.

21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The methods stopped working so they had to change them. Not to mention, Kenobi and Yoda were in hiding themselves.
    It's really the best explanation one can come up with considering that the backstory was contradictory and and full of retcons.

22. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    If the backstory was contradictory, maybe a re-write was in order, seeing as how it's all make believe. Seems pretty simple to me. Like I said, oh well.

23. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I like this a lot. I can imagine every scoundrel in the galaxy would be after a piece of the pie when the Empire fell, planets declaring themselves independent, various blocs being formed. I doubt there was a smooth transition from Empire to New Republic. Has anyone read The Tripods? At the end of that mankind has rid themselves of Tripods but different nationalities start to pull away and look after their own interests. It ends with our heroes taking on a bigger less glamorous battle to keep all the nations together. I'm not advocating for a minute that the ST should just be political, just that sometimes when you get rid of a big bad you have a bigger mess on your plate to sort out.

Echo-07 likes this.
  24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I see the fallout of the demise of the empire and the war to be reminiscent of the aftermath of World War II.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This could be like the reconstruction era of the south post-American Civil War.