main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Vote: Jon Favreau, Matthew Vaughn or David Fincher.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Out of the 3 front runner directors, who would you choose?

1. Jon Favreau

27.8%
  2. Matthew Vaughn

47.6%
  3. David Fincher

24.6%
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still wanna see Steven Spileberg do a Star Wars movies. Both trilogies he's on the cusp of doing SOMETHING and he pulls out, but he even contributed to Ep. 3 action sequences, just go for it, Spielberg. If anything, he's a guy who's style can slot into a Star Wars movie (a properly episode numbered Star Wars movie) perfectly, hell, maybe look even better.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I consider those 3 the worst SUCCESSFUL directors in Hollywood. There are worse directors, but no one who would be handed a franchise.

3. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Far far worse:

Brett Ratner

Yeah, that's pretty much the worst.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I would literally have a brainsplosion or a joygasm IF this wer to happen:

Episode VII - Matthew Vaughn
    Episode VIII - David Fincher
    Episode IX - Jon Favreau

As for Fincher being too dark I think people are really over-reacting. Yes, he has done more intense, psychological and moody pics but he is diverse as shown with Benjamin Button and Social Network. He is accessible to all audiences. Besides, if SW goes dark and I suspect it will for the middle episode as someone falls to the dark side wouldn't that story be best suited for him? I think he would have killed ROTS.

Pro Scoundrel and Darthsuggs like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Red Dragon is really good and he does a good job of emulating the director's previous style, in this case, Johnathan Demme. And for all it's faults, X3 looks like it came from the same universe as Singer's X-flicks.

Not that I want him directing a Star Wars movie but, y'know, I'd be more scared of Len "Underworld / Die Hard 4 / Total Recall" Wiseman

6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    That order is about right. I could also see swapping Favreau and Vaughn. Favreau sets up an overall neutral or happy tone in 7 (like happy Ironman), Fincher "darkens" it up in 8. Vaughn ties it all together sets neutral tone. My only issue with Favreau in 9 is if everyone goes with "kill off some of the big three" in EP9, can he do it? This assumes they will all last this last trilogy and die at the end. Questions.. Questions...

7. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I know George said in the signing video with Bob Iger that this was the "final trilogy" but what if they continue with the new characters beyond 9? Then 9 doesns't have to be a conclusion it coould be dark too in order to set up the next film or films. Remember there was talk about 12 Episodes.

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
  9. sidious1000

sidious1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2001
    I thought Stardust was great. Very under rated.

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Stardust has rave reviews...infact all Vaughn's movies have good reviews.....David Finchers movies also have good reviews...but Favreau not so much ( Cowboys & Aliens for one ) .....so I'm choosing Vaughn because he's a young director who has not directed to many movies but what he has directed have been very good .

11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Cowboys and Aliens was quite good if you love sci-fi and/or westerns, and SW is sort of a mixture of those in a way too.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Likewise

13. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    When was the last video posted on www.starwars.com ? Around 1pm?

That means the next announcement will be around 12 hours from now...chances of it being the Director announcement?

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Like many people have said, fine with all of them - but voted for Vaughn, since I believe he's the one who's already been chosen.

Julius Vernon and Echo-07 like this.
  15. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm hoping we'll see an announcement today.

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Today?? Why today?

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Just a guess - the next update at the site is scheduled for today and it has to break soon. I could of course be completely wrong.

18. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If there was even a single sound bite, interview snippet, or picture of Fincher with Kennedy or Lucas I'd easily be inclined to selecting Fincher, especially if he said he wanted it badly but I'm just not buying it. He once famously said ROTJ sucked **** through a straw in a book. If he took this on it would be strictly to push himself as some kind of challenge to show that he could do a big tent pole crowd pleaser rather than a passion project.

The news of him being potentially involved sounds like nothing more than speculation from people under the guise of "unnamed sources." As a result, I chose Vaughn. I like his versatility and emphasis on character motivation and know him to be a huge fan that seems to be growing and maturing as a filmmaker.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure why people are worried about Fincher being "too dark" for Star Wars, did none of you watch ESB or ROTS?

Dark is good.

20. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Also, it's not as if Fincher would take it on and then totally ignore what SW is really about or the previous, established tone. He's a hugely talented man who could apply himself to most genres I imagine. The question is whether or not he would be interested.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Fincher. I prefer someone who hasn't made a superhero film.

22. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, I keep checking the site. Horn mentioned that the announcement was coming soon. Hell, Frank Marshall said about a month ago the decision was essentially made.

Agreed! I think either today's video or the last one will have the pertinent announcements we've been looking for.

Then we'll see a video of Ben Kenobi saying, "These aren't the announcements you've been looking for."

23. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Oi! I'm a tea drinker! Not for much longer though. You murricans cast your ghastly spell on me and I'm moving to Texas next year. At least I won't have to watch anymore of those terrible Vodafone Yoda ads! :)

Darthsuggs likes this.
  24. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Favreau was my pick, but I would be happy with any of those three.

25. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Vaughn
    Fincher
    Favreau

In that order. Though I don't think any is a poor choice, Vaughn seems to be the best fit to me.