main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series CW Grade the Episode: S05E08: Bound for Rescue

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 22, 2012.

?

How do you grade this episode?

1. 10/10

35.1%
  2. 9/10

35.1%
  3. 8/10

16.2%
  4. 7/10

8.1%
  5. 6/10

2.7%
  6. 5/10

2.7%
  7. 4/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You guys know the drill.

Poll results are available by clicking on the number of votes next to each score.

That being said, we'd still prefer you to post with your score and what you liked and disliked

2. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    7/10

While not as bad as it looks written down, six younglings disguising themselves as a carnival act in order to rescue Ahsoka from Hondo and his band of drunken pirates isn't my favourite episode of this arc. In my eyes it only works because Hondo is so charismatic you believe in him no matter the plot.

The side story of Obi-Wan and Grievous is a welcome reminder there is a war on despite the frivolity of the initiate's mission but lacks any impact because of it's tacked on feel.

Despite this, there is some humour in the episode and maybe a nice new pet for Hondo.

3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    +Nice opening with the space battle
    +Gunji's lightsaber might be my favorite in all of Star Wars
    +Poor Ahsoka, Hondo was a ***** with the drink
    +"...a Female Jedi..." was delivered with chilling gleefullness
    +The circus was actually pretty funny, defying my expectations
    +Grievous's win
    +Beautiful animation though
    +Drunk Hondo was brilliant, Jim Cummings has never been better; "...I'm flying..."
    +Great music when Byph was standing atop the ship, nice usage of drums
    -Space battle was too brief

Other notes: Was there potential foreshadowing with the shot of Ganodi looking forlornly upon the departing younglings and when the episode closed before they got to Ganodi at the ship? Or am I reading too much into this?

Great, great episode, although a few bits at Florrum could have allowed for a lengthier space battle. 10/10 for the bits of space battle, Gunji's awesome lightsaber, and Drunken Hondo flying into the air

10/10 :)

4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Silly. The Jedi Babies wore out their welcome. Don't like this portrayal of Hondo at all. The rescue was too easy. Plot holes: why didn't Obi-Wan just call back to Coruscant to have someone else from the Jedi Temple go to Florrum? Not a big David Tennant fan. Wookiees just don't excite me like they do other people. Petro is too much like Lux mixed with Anakin. Took away time that I would like to have seen devoted to other storylines.

Ahsoka in bondage. Best episode ever.

5. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really enjoyed this one; the space battle and Grievous boarding the cruiser, fighting clones and Obi-Wan was solid stuff (I don't mind that it was more or less brief) & the travelling circus stuff and a drunk Hondo was great; I definitely like how they portray him when he's drunk. The scene where Obi warns Grievous that the cruiser was rigged to explode, giving Grievous a chance to escape, would have been terrible if it wasn't needed for the sake of continuity, but still, it might perhaps have made Obi look a bit stupid (I can imagine Grievous finding it wierd that he was warned about it). Still, there was nothing I really outright disliked about the episode so it was a very nice and fun continuation of the Young Jedi arc which comes to a close this week; until then, this is for now probably the best episode of the arc. 9/10

6. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    9/10.
    The plot conveniences keep this from being a perfect episode in my opinion, but still a very entertaining and excellent part of the arc.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    GENIUS EPISODE! [face_dancing] Grievous winning with awesome moves, the fun battle, drunk Hondo flying, the Circus, the reference to "A Bug's Life" and even a hint of music from the first Malevolence episode.

10/10

Thank you Season Five... ^:)^

KED12345 and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    10/10

-Nice to see Clones again
    -Hondo was hilarious
    -Petro is stupid for disobeying Obi-Wan
    -The battle was fantastic
    -The appearance of Cody
    -Gungi's lightsaber is freaking awesome

9. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    7/10

The space-battle (which for once ended with a separatist victory) and Hondo was awesome. It was also nice to see the younglings construct their lightsabers and have Cody be more than an extra. And Grievous walked way from this episode without being made to look like a pathetic idiot – excellent!

That being said I would have preferred more space-battle and less younglings (they are okay, though Petro is starting to annoy me, and I can’t really make myself care for Ashoka). It would also be nice if just for once in the history of TCW there would be negative consequences for disobeying orders or breaking the rules instead of it always ending up being the right thing to do – one of the younglings could have been killed or seriously injured when rescuing Ashoka; that would have taught them a valuable lesson (though in all fairness something like that may happen in the last episode). The Grievous-Obi-Wan duel was completely wasted potential.

And Obi-Wan warning Grievous so that he managed to escape… well, the only thing to say to that is:

[​IMG]

I wonder if Obi-Wan left out that little detail when making his report to the Council.

Valairy Scot and CT-867-5309 like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I gave this a 9. Proof that TCW can in fact do good humor when it tries. Hondo has cemented his place among the best things this show has produced, and he just keeps getting better. The youngsters are a cool group and I actually hope they appear again before they're slaughtered by Vader. [face_devil]

Also, any depiction of Grievous owning clones is welcome in my book. He almost reached micro-series level. Almost.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Hondo, Grevious, epic Clone Wars battle, what more do you want?

9/10 from me, only because the lightsaber battle was incredibly short.

12. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    8/10. The circus was entertaining and I very much enjoyed the space battle. I took off some points for the overly convenient battle and Grievous running away.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This is an easy 9/10, the episode was awesome fun. The main detractor was how the show concluded the awesome battle sequence with Kenobi and Grievous. Also Petrol, stop interrupting Obi-wan you little ant. Other than that the younglings have developed into fun and dynamic characters. Cody did something cool in this episode. Hondo stole the show, "I'm flying" was the line of the episode. I like how this episode got so god awful violent one minute then flipped it around into crack baby comedy with the circus act. More episodes of this caliber please TCW.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This one started slow, but it was getting the plot developed and out of the way to let the fun begin.

Start with the cookie, "When we rescue others, we rescue ourselves". Lame.

PROS
    • Cody!
    • The Recusants jumping in looked awesome, the size intimidating.
    • Again, the lightsaber construction animation was amazing, especially the little bits to show sophistication.
    • One of the kids mentioned "a rescue mission?" and R2 was all like, "Psssshhh, I do this **** all the time."
    • The engine problem was a good way to force the decision, even if forcing the decision was cheap.
    • Very nice fleet action.
    • The Y-Wing was used especially well, looking like a WW2 bomber.
    • Loved that they used the Arquitens' mobility instead of having a smaller capital ship stand still and try to slug it out. Very smart.
    • They demonstrated the vulnerability of the Venator's dorsal hangar doors. It's like a fleet junkie wrote this stuff.
    • Grievous using feet, though I'm not at all impressed with his performance in this episode, unlike others.
    • The whole kids using acrobatics to get into the circus to get into Hondo's base idea was creative and smart, if a little convenient.
    • CIS VICTORY
    CONS
    • Magnaguard deflecting bolts. Weren't we just talking about this?
    • Why the hell did Kenobi warn Grievous of the impending self-destruct? That's just **** writing.
    • Kenobi just says Younglings are on their own. LOLWUT? Just giving up on them? Didn't pass on their SOS? Not going to?
    • HONDO WAS NOT FUNNY. Character ruined.
    Just an extremely entertaining episode, one of the best of the series.

10/10

At the moment of this post, 22 votes for an average score of 9.23. That's gotta be one of the highest rated shows ever. Garth Maul , Barriss_Coffee , any info on that?

Also disappointed with the lack of participation here.

15. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    We'll go with 9/10 for this one too.

that point comes from Obi-wan warning Grevious the ship was about to self-destruct. I was kinda scratching my head on that one.

Hondo delivers a new side of her personality here. This episode, I think, cements the fact that he has few if any morals and is, indeed, driven by whatever will make him the most money in the least time. A buyer for a female Jedi specifically. I wonder how many kids asked their parents what he meant.

The younglings did alot of quick thinking and the carnival act was a little bit too much of a coincidence, but it was fun to watch overall.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not going to go back and recalculate them all, but Rookies was 9.32. So it's close.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Wow, never would have seen an episode in this arc coming close to dethroning "Rookies".

18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    IMO many episodes have dethroned Rookies over time. Like Revival, Massacre, Bounty, Counterattack, Witches of the Mist, Cat and Mouse... these to name a few. ;)

But Rookies does remains a classic.

And now Bound for Rescue and A Necessary Bond rock are sooo amazing that I do agree with the odds...

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Rookies was dethroned from my personal list a long time ago.

20. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    10/10
    Wow as close to a perfect episode as one could get. I don't care how short the space battle was...it rocked! The Carnival was entertaining which surprised me because I thought it was going to be terrible. The only thing I could possibly complain about is how the Younglings used the Force to construct their sabers. Yeah it makes sense but I like how Luke had to use tools and his hands to make his. Makes it seem slightly more real.

Upon repeat viewings I noticed that Obi-wan's ship's hanger doors are closed in one shot and are opening as the Y-wing and Headhunter are shot down. This makes me think that the fighters were retreating and trying to land so its not really a plot hole as i've read some label it as in the discussion thread.

21. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Mine as well. Right away when the genius Lair of Grievous came along, the clonies episode was dethroned for me. [face_dancing]

Seerow and Super_Battle_Droid like this.
  22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Great, great episode, second only to Revival for best of the season so far IMO. The space fights were freaking awesome, Grievous was actually intimidating (shocker!), and the end with the traveling circus felt very fantasy Oz-in-space to me, also felt like it could be from an episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

9/10

23. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    9/10

GREAT episode....

4 words should be used to describe this episode

GRIEVIOUS IS A BADASS

nuff said...