main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Game Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Winged_Jedi, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Certainty, we always want "that player"; the wise veteran that has been around the block and knows how to RP different types of characters. I've done it myself (casting that is). But, with little success with it, Intervention has always had a good group of players regardless and we've always made it work. So, yes, I do have my eye out for some veterans I would like see join our new game...and hope they do.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am so guilty of casting that I couldn't possibly comment.

spycoder9 likes this.
  3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm still too new to have casted. Then again, my only game so far died in obscurity soooo... :p

4. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Well, I think there are few GMs who have been successful who haven´t. I was only casted once, but some of my friends were extremely popular :p But if you wanna get a certain character right, one you know will have to fill a certain role in the game you GM him (and few GMs can do characters like players can) or you cast him. You can also hope. Or you can have that No-GM appproach Fin did with SotS, have a Co-GM only creating most memorable characters . . . to add flavour to the game. I liked that idea, but you need the right Co-GM, I guess . . . who enjoys that kinda "work"

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Example in point: LordT as Darth Sidious. He only gave my Lumiya a glance and I ran. Like, ran ran ran. Screw heroism.

6. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Example: LordT an villians in general :p I believe LordT was our first serious case of typecasting. [face_laugh]

But I stand to my word - Making LordT your baddie makes any game better.

Casting is indeed effective when done on a small scale. It becomes a deal-killer when done on a grande scale.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Anyone know where I can audition?

8. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Here is the OP (preliminary mind you) for my newest idea. Let me know what you think! :D

"Master, what are we going to do? All of them...all of our brothers and sisters..."

"I know my Padawan...I know. Who would have ever thought Palpatine would betray us like this?"

"We can't go back...the clones would kill us. Is there anywhere we can hide?"

"The Outer Rim is our best bet. Even now, there are planets that are abandone...."

beep...beep...

"What is that Master?"

"The sensor suite...its a Star Destroyer!!"

Blue fire flew through space at the small freighter, battering its shields and tossing the pair of Jedi around the cockpit. The small crafts shields were quickly failing, and the Master knew this. So he quickly enacted a hyperspace jump, not knowing where they were going or what this would lead to...

"Ugh...where are we? Master?"

"I don't know...the chart doesn't recognize it. But our ship is totaled, we have to set down. Let's hope we don't have a welcoming party..."

And unknowingly, these two Jedi had stumbled on their ancestral home. Tython...

[​IMG]

Tython, the forgotten homeworld of the Jedi Order. Abandoned since the time of the Ruusan Reformation, the world had entered into obscurity to all but the most dedicated Jedi scholars. And even they assumed that the world was empty of any Jedi, aside from those in the many graveyards on the world.

However, they were wrong. The best kept secret of the Jedi High Council, was the relative handful of Jedi who had stayed behind on their ancestral home. Frozen in carbonite, for a reason that was lost to time, these Jedi slumbered in the deteriorating Tython Temples. Eventually, they were forgotten even by the Council, just as their home was.

But even if the reason was forgotten to time, the Jedi would serve a purpose nonetheless. Centuries after even the most devoted scholars had forgotten Tython, the Jedi Order would be nearly destroyed from within. With the traitorous Darth Vader leading the former Grand Army of the Republic against them, the few remaining Jedi fled far and wide. A pair of these refugees would stumble upon Tython, and awaken their ancient brethren from their centuries long sleep...

[​IMG]

Forgotten by time, you are one of these Ancient Jedi. Only you know the true reason you were frozen, all those years ago. But now, you have been awoken from your deep slumber. The question becomes, in a Galaxy that barely resembles what it was when you last saw it...what will you do?

You have the power of the Force behind you, but in a Galaxy hostile to your very kind. As a Jedi, you can barely comprehend this. But you must, for your sake, and for the sake of your nearly extinct brethren.

In a Galaxy fallen under the iron-boot of the Sith...you must do what you can to survive. And take the fight back to the Sith.

But a small part of you wonders if you should just give in and join the Sith. Will you give in to these traitorous thoughts and join the Dark Side? The choice is yours...choose wisely.

Your Character:

Obviously, this game will revolve mostly around Force Users, whether Jedi, or Dark Jedi. I won't limit your choice here. Choose whichever you prefer, just know that we all start on Tython.

Here is the CS:

Basics:
    Name:
    Species:
    Home Planet:

Appearance:
    Skin Color:
    Hair/Fur Color:
    Eye Color:
    Height:
    Clothing:

Bio:

Jedi Rank and other information:

Lightsaber:
    Amount:
    Type:
    Color:

Skill Set:
    Force Strengths:
    Force Weaknesses:

Rules:
    1. No god-modding
    2. GM-word is final
    3. Send CS to GM (via PM) before posting
    4. No rank above Jedi Knight/Dark Jedi Knight
    5. Have fun!!

PHEW!!! That was a monster to type. And yes, I already have an OP ready...what can I say, I was bored :p

9. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I like it, quick question. If you say we can play as Jedi or Dark Jedi, does that mean that Dark Jedi were frozen in carbonite as well? Or do we all start out as Jedi and have the choice to turn Dark?

10. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Depends on what people request. Personally I'm leaning towards 'choice to go Dark'. But I figure that at least some people will want to be dark from the start, in which case we would have Dark Jedi/Sith hiding as Jedi be frozen.

EDIT: Also, does anyone else have any comments?

11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    If it were up to me, I'd stick strictly with Jedi at the start. You'd have more of a narrative focus that way, plus it gives characters the opportunity to evolve into something their players want them to be rather than becoming static from the beginning.

Just my two cents! :)

12. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, that is almost exactly why I was leaning towards (as the OP shows) having them start as Jedi. The only way I wouldn't do that is if someone flat out requests to be dark from the start. And even then one could swing it as them just going dark soon after they are thawed out.

This is why I come here before launching a game...iron out these details :p

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I've already started filling out my CS. :D

14. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I don´t wanna cruin anything, but was Bravo´s week oveR?

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009

Whoops...I guess I got a little too excited...[face_blush]

EDIT: If I did leapfrog there...I apologize. I let myself get too excited too easily...[face_blush]

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, he posted on the 23rd, so yes.

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    So I didn't jump ahead?[face_relieved]

Now that we have that handled...is my game the current discussion topic now?

EDIT: And if so, can someone let me know if the OP is good?

18. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I would recommend adding another image, of possibly the ruins or start area, but then again since the players aren't staying there then leaving it to your own word choice at game start works as well. I am sorely tempted to right a CS for this one.

19. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm currently surfing Stargate images (best ruins that could possibly fit in SW). And I'm glad that I'm tempting people to join this. Much better than my first one :p

EDIT: Image test...

[​IMG]

Stargate to the rescue!!! Vis Uban works remarkably well :p

Though it probably needs shrinking before putting in the first post (IC post). This work? (image wise)

EDIT Zwei: And the most important question...when to launch the thing when I do have it ready. Should I wait till the holiday season is over?

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    The second draft of the OP. I'm going to assume that this is the current discussion topic...if not, let me know ;)

"Master, what are we going to do? All of them...all of our brothers and sisters..."

"I know my Padawan...I know. Who would have ever thought Palpatine would betray us like this?"

"We can't go back...the clones would kill us. Is there anywhere we can hide?"

"The Outer Rim is our best bet. Even now, there are planets that are abandone...."

beep...beep...

"What is that Master?"

"The sensor suite...its a Star Destroyer!!"

Blue fire flew through space at the small freighter, battering its shields and tossing the pair of Jedi around the cockpit. The small crafts shields were quickly failing, and the Master knew this. So he quickly enacted a hyperspace jump, not knowing where they were going or what this would lead to...

"Ugh...where are we? Master?"

"I don't know...the chart doesn't recognize it. But our ship is totaled, we have to set down. Let's hope we don't have a welcoming party..."

And unknowingly, these two Jedi had stumbled on their ancestral home. Tython...

[​IMG]

Tython, the forgotten homeworld of the Jedi Order. Abandoned since the time of the Ruusan Reformation, the world had entered into obscurity to all but the most dedicated Jedi scholars. And even they assumed that the world was empty of any Jedi, aside from those in the many graveyards on the world.

However, they were wrong. The best kept secret of the Jedi High Council, was the relative handful of Jedi who had stayed behind on their ancestral home. Frozen in carbonite, for a reason that was lost to time, these Jedi slumbered in the deteriorating Tython Temples. Eventually, they were forgotten even by the Council, just as their home was.

But even if the reason was forgotten to time, the Jedi would serve a purpose nonetheless. Centuries after even the most devoted scholars had forgotten Tython, the Jedi Order would be nearly destroyed from within. With the traitorous Darth Vader leading the former Grand Army of the Republic against them, the few remaining Jedi fled far and wide. A pair of these refugees would stumble upon Tython, and awaken their ancient brethren from their centuries long sleep...

[​IMG]

Forgotten by time, you are one of these Ancient Jedi. Only you know the true reason you were frozen, all those years ago. But now, you have been awoken from your deep slumber. The question becomes, in a Galaxy that barely resembles what it was when you last saw it...what will you do?

You have the power of the Force behind you, but in a Galaxy hostile to your very kind. As a Jedi, you can barely comprehend this. But you must, for your sake, and for the sake of your nearly extinct brethren.

In a Galaxy fallen under the iron-boot of the Sith...you must do what you can to survive. And take the fight back to the Sith.

But a small part of you wonders if you should just give in and join the Sith. Will you give in to these traitorous thoughts and join the Dark Side? The temptation is strong, as it always has been. But the Dark Side was stronger than it had been even when you were put into carbonite. In the end, the choice remains yours and yours alone...what will you do?

Your Character:

Obviously, this game will revolve mostly around Force Users, whether Jedi, or Dark Jedi. I won't limit your choice here. Choose whichever you prefer, just know that we all start on Tython. And that we all begin as Jedi. You can still go dark, but you won't start that way.

Here is the CS:

Basics:
    Name:
    Species:
    Home Planet:

Appearance:
    Skin Color:
    Hair/Fur Color:
    Eye Color:
    Height:
    Clothing:

Bio:

Jedi Rank and other information:

Lightsaber:
    Amount:
    Type:
    Color:
    Lightsaber Form:

Skill Set:
    Force Strengths:
    Force Weaknesses:

Rules:
    1. No god-modding
    2. GM-word is final
    3. Send CS to GM (via PM) before posting
    4. No rank above Jedi Knight/Dark Jedi Knight (for now)
    5. Have fun!!

21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    (1) Yes, the image works. I like it.

(2) As far as launch is concerned, I'm firmly of the view you should launch it when you are ready, not trying to assess when/if the board is going to be more receptive to it. This place runs slow as a wet week -- whether it's holiday season or not. So I don't think it'd make a hell of a lot of difference whether you waited for the New Year. In fact then you'd be agonising over whether you're interrupting people as they return to school or jobs or whatever.

More relevantly, why bother accommodating people when they haven't even joined your game yet? Accommodate them once they've committed. People will always find excuses not to join RPGs -- but they will always find excuses to join them and deprioritise RL if the interest is there and the game looks like it's going to be fun.

So I say: do whatever the hell you feel like. What's the worst that can happen? You've got a small but definite buzz just out of coming here, with at least one commitment to a CS and another person giving real thought to it. Don't assume that just because people don't volunteer CSes here that they aren't watching or being interested. As it is, you don't need twenty people in a game to have fun. All you need are a group of two or three other people willing to give it a shot. As for me: I'll put my money where my mouth is and say I'll commit to this RPG as a player, because it looks like fun.

(3) Small addition: this has more to do with storytelling and the rule of 'Show, Don't Tell', but I'd tune up your flavour text a bit. With an "action hit" like that, you're trying to create some 'in media res' a la Episode IV and make people wonder "What's going on? Who are these people?" -- but it's a little too talky and needs at least a little description, since these two are obviously rather significant NPCs we're going to hear a lot more from in future. Are we dealing with an alien and a human? Two humans? What's your picture of these two Jedi? How come we can't get a glimpse of them in the opening?

Here's how I would (egotistically) rewrite it:

The padawan's elbows clunked onto the ship's console. "Master, what are we going to do? All of our brothers and--"
    "I know, disciple," snapped the older man. Immediately he deflated, waving his hand in a vague gesture of apology to the padawan. "I know," he repeated.
    Palpatine. How could this have happened?
    "We can't go back, can we?" his padawan was saying. "If the clones have turned against the Jedi Order, then--master, the Grand Army is everywhere."
    Despair in the boy's voice drew icy fingers across the older man's heart. Instinct countered emotion, and he summoned words, sucking in breath. With it came insight: "The Outer Rim. It will serve, at least until we can figure out what to do."
    He had raised the navicomputer's displays when the proximity alarm began to blare.
    "Master--it's a Star Destr--" And whatever the boy was going to say next was drowned out by localised thunder as blue lightning crashed across the freighter's prow. Shields screamed. The vessel shuddered, a wounded animal in the night.
    Instinct again took over; the Force was still with him, and the Master drew on it in the two point five seconds of life remaining to them, hands flying over the navicomputer, hitting EXECUTE--
    --A second salvo of fire crashed over the freighter and she pitched in space, lightning exploding from the freighter's consoles--
    --Star tunnel!
    For a few, screaming seconds. Then, with a drunken groan, hyperspace collapsed around them and the stars reappeared.
    Unfamiliar stars, something whispered to the master.
    The boy was getting to his feet. "Ugh...where are we? Master?"
    Where you are most needed, something whispered again to the older man. But he pushed the thought away, turning to examine the ruin that was the nav's display. "I don't know...the charts have been--"
    "Master." A strange calm in his pupil's voice. The older man looked at the boy - to see his padawan with eyes fixed out the viewport. The master looked that way, and saw it: a blue-green world looming large off the freighter's port bow, hues strangely hypnotic in the eternal galactic night.
    Emergency cutout must have kicked in, he thought. He tore his eyes away from the view, instinct again taking over. He flickered eyes over the readouts. "I'll need your help - autopilot is down, and we're not going to last much longer up here." He pressed buttons; perused a display. "Atmospheric content seems to support life."
    "Do you know which world that is, master?"
    And for a second, he thought he did - something about it all lingered on the tip of his tongue. But then Master Pandros (or whatever name he has) was pressing buttons, turning to the task of preserving the tiny capsule of the freighter's protective bubble long enough for them to land. "I suppose we are about to find out."

The freighter cruised silently towards its destiny.

...Er, yeah. Then you just put the rest in.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    [:D]

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, it was just a random thought (the 'should I wait to post or not' thing) since my last one didn't do so hot. Then again, that was probably the style of game. :p

As for the intro...I didn't go for the way you wrote it, since that seemed more like something for an intro post. But, I can extend the part still. I'll work on that now (not like I have anything else to do). After all, this is still (OP wise) just a WIP.

24. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Since the OP is rather long and I don't want to repost the whole thing...here is a reworked opening part:

The Padawan's elbows clunked onto the ship's console. "Master, what are we going to do? All of our brothers and…"

"I know, Padawan," the older man interrupted his student, before sighing heavily, “I know.

Palpatine...how could this have happened? We trusted him…

"We can't go back, can we?" his Padawan was saying. "If the clones have turned against the Jedi Order, then…master, the Grand Army is everywhere."

Despair in the girl’s voice drew icy fingers across the older man's heart. But he couldn’t let it distract him. He had to save himself and his Padawan. Thinking on where they could hide, an idea came to mind, "The Outer Rim. It will serve, at least until we can figure out what to do."

He had raised the navicomputer's displays when the proximity alarm began to blare.

"Master…it's a Star Destr…" And whatever the girl was going to say next was drowned out by localised thunder as blue lightning crashed across the freighter's prow. Shields screamed. The vessel shuddered, a wounded animal in the night.

Drawing on the Force, the Master quickly ran his hands over the console, activating the Hyperdrive…

…just as a second salvo from the massive Destroyer washed over the freighter, sending it rolling through space, as sparks flew from the consoles…

And then it was over, the ship entered into the blue tunnel of hyperspace. But it would only last for a few seconds, as the ship let out a torturous groan before the tunnel collapsed into a star field. One that the Master didn’t recognize…

The girl was getting to her feet. "Ugh...where are we? Master?"

Where you are most needed, something whispered to the older man. But he pushed the thought away turning to examine the sparking wreck that was the nav console, "I don't know...the charts have been…"

"Master." A strange calm in his pupil's voice. The older man looked at the girl - to see his padawan with eyes fixed out the viewport. The master looked that way, and saw it: a blue-green world looming large off the freighter's port bow, hues strangely hypnotic in the eternal galactic night.

Emergency cutout must have kicked in, he thought. He tore his eyes away from the view, instinct taking over. He flicked his eyes over the readouts. "I'll need your help - autopilot is down, and we're not going to last much longer up here." He pressed buttons; perused a display. "Atmospheric content seems to support life."

"Do you know which world that is, master?"

And for a second, he thought he did - something about it all lingered on the tip of his tongue. But then Master Sule was pressing buttons, turning to the task of preserving the tiny capsule of the freighter's protective bubble long enough for them to land. "I suppose we are about to find out."

Obviously, its a combination of Saint's suggestion, and my own work (parts I added, and changing the gender of the Padawan). Is that better?

Also, to clarify...the Master/Padawan duo aren't NPC's, they are my characters. I figure they are a bit too important to the story to NPC, and this way I can leave the ancient Jedi to others. As for species...Master Sule is a Selkath (what, I like KOTOR and they are underused), while the Padawan, who I have yet to name (suggestions?) is human.

25. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, if they're your characters, and you are the GM, by my definition they are NPCs. As in, "Non Player Characters". Rule one: never, never play your own RPG. Let others play it. Run your RPG. It's a crucial distinction.