main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mark Hamill unsure about Star Wars 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I get what you're saying. I think that technology will allow them to be more active now though. But, I don't see a major problem with Han Solo or Leia . They are in good shape and weren't really in that major of physical roles in the originals. Well Han Solo is in great shape, Carrie could stand to do some physical training.

I think their being old is a good thing because it gives balance to the new generation. After all, they are supposed to be handing Star Wars off to a new generation. I don't think they should recast and get young physical actors because then we're just getting another triology with the main 3 at the fore front. Honestly I don't want that. Just let them get older and let it be a transitional film where they hand it off to younger talent.

That is how I see it.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    So, you could get body doubles for the OT actors. What is your point? Are you saying they are just too ugly to reprise their roles? That's harsh.

And I really doubt we will be seeing the original cast jumping about swinging their lightsabers. I bet they will play roles similar to old Obi-Wan in ANH. Alec Guiness wasn't doing backflips and neither was David Prowse. I was disappointed to see younger Yoda jumping around like a frog on crack in the PT. I really don't mind seeing a slower more ground bound older Luke Skywalker.

KevinM1 and Merlin_Ambrosius69 like this.
  3. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I did not say that you said it. What I am saying is that they would not fit in those roles now. They did at that time but they do not now. It is not an insult it is a reality. It is not really not a good thing to place thoughts in other peoples post that they did not put there.

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    If they are playing 60 year old characters and they are 60 years old I have no clue as to why they don't fit the roles. If you are talking about a movie right after ROTJ then I agree. If we are talking about them reprising a role where they will play their characters at their current age...then I have no clue as to what your problem with them is. Why won't they fit their roles? I assume Mark and Carrie will get in shape if that is your problem. Harrison usually stays in good shape. Who better to play Luke, Leia and Han than the original actors?

Echo-07 and FinleySlade like this.
  5. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I agree that the Ben & Vader duel wasn't much of a duel. In retrospect, it's actually a small wonder it became as iconic as it did. Also, I remember seeing all the posters featuring Luke with a lighted saber - and thinking WTF - he only used it against a remote :p But it was big in those days - kinds not much sable rattling since Errol Flynn...

My take on what you say is of course colored by my own visage in the mirror starting to look more and more wrinkled ;) but I think one of SW's powers is exactly the nostalgia! How often do you have a franchise that can unite so many generations - so broad a cut of the people. James Bond maybe - but Marvels and Star Trek doesn't come even near! Yes, sometims you gotta let go - but I think this time, what we need to let go is the Big Three as main characters - not the actors itself. If your point is that Hamill and Fisher and Ford haven't aged as well as some others, then you're darned right - they haven't. But they look the way people their age look - and with trainers and stylists they'll look much better when/if time comes. And personally, I think exactly this would be so cool - to finally see some 60 year olds cast because they are who they are - and not because they fit into some idea of how they should look. All my Christmases would come at once if I could see Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker in a new Star Wars film again - and he'd need to remind seriously of Jabba the Hutt to destroy that joy. [face_batting]

6. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    People either want to justify it or don't want to justify it . But it's happening and Disney seems to think it's justifiable...so maybe just maybe there is a good plot reason for using the old cast? We don't even know the script or plot in reality. I think everyone is getting a head of their selves. I'm sure Disney can propose something that would at least change the parameters of this conversation. I'm not entirely sure but I don't think they will have major roles in 7 , 8 and 9. They will probably be there just to help out. I don't think we have to worry about them being too old because they are intended to be old in these films.

Can they still portray older versions of their selves, yeah of course they can. They just have to adapt and do a little character reinvention that's all. I'm sure they can find a way to slightly redesign these characters where it fits.

People get old, people change, that doesn't mean that it doesn't tell a story or a good story...
    I think the vader duel with obi wan is a misconception. Obi Wan knew he was going to die and be absorbed into the force. He didn't pick up Luke so that he could go and defeat Vader himself... He found Luke so that he may train him to defeat vader and bring balance to the force. It was for told by the force, he had orphaned Luke decades ago...

It wasn't meant to be a duel, it was meant to be part of the story and it helped enrich the story. "You shouldn't have come back". Lines like that have layers of the plot within and the scene was one of the best in the film, misunderstood as some sort of duel...

7. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    If the original actors make it into the new films that is fine. However if they wish to win over some new fans and build the franchise eventually they will have to find new actors. We are looking at 3 new sequels. The last to finish around 2021 for this trilogy. I would like to see more of Luke than just this first film. When I saw Revenge of the Sith for the first time and saw all of the Jedi being killed. I turned and asked someone in the seat next to me if Leia becomes a Jedi. I would like to see Leia in the films with all that the character deserves. If the Original Trilogy actors feel they can do those characters justice then that is fine but if they realize they can not then it is time to move forward.

8. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Anyone see Skyfall? Full of older actors - you know what? They can really act.

What Ford, Fisher, and Hamill bring is experience. And box office magic. Disney will be doing all they can, IMO, to have them appear in the ST.

my_kind_of_scum, T-R- and Jedi_Lover like this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. I said in an earlier post that if Mark is going to be a Jedi Warrior he would need to trim down a bit. But as for his wrinkles, scars and gray hair...that is perfect for a man who has been fighting almost all his adult life.

If the OT actors are in EP7 they will play aging mentors to a cast of young new Jedi. I doubt you will see much of them in future movies. I don't think anybody here wants three SW movies with an aging cast as the lead roles. Even the older fans would like to see young new faces. But there is no reason to recast Mark, Carrie and Harrison if they are to play their characters in their 60's.

krtmd, kataja and Echo-07 like this.
  10. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Absolutely. New main characters for the young to identify with - but include the old for continuity, nostalgia - and to put some sense into those youngsters :p Personally, I assume they'd never build an entire trilogy on an "old team" - and why should they - there are future GFFA generations out there to explore.

I think we all would, actually. I certainly would. And I don't think anywone argues that if the new trilogy (or whetever film) picks up right after ROTJ, then they have to recast. Actors should play their age, or something near to it at least. Well, Hamill managed to be well over thirty and still pull off to play 24-year old Luke - which was pretty neat. ;) But there are plenty of threads here around where we argue where the trilogy will - and should - take place.

And BTW - welcome to the boards Felicia! Kudos for surviving the first day! [face_peace]

[QUOTEkrtmd]Anyone see Skyfall? Full of older actors - you know what? They can really act.[/QUOTE]
    Never seen that - but I saw R.E.D. - and it's awesome!!! It even managed to pull off a sweet and believable post-60 romance!

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I LOVED R.E.D!!!!!! I think that was my favorite movie of this decade. The actors were amazing! It was brilliantly done and not once did I think, "They should have younger people playing these romantic roles." I thought the old Russian was adorable.

kataja likes this.
  12. kataja

May 4, 2007
    He was! [face_love] I could so see Luke and Mara in a similar set up - but that's off topic, I suppose. [face_blush]

The actors in that, though - and this is more in topic - were picked for being still coming off well. Bruce Willis is aging extremely well (he's, like, some new Sean Connery in that aspect), Helen Mirren is regularly awarded as the sexiest MILF while Morgan Freeman, Brian Cox and John Malcowitch always have had that ageless look that only gets better over the years. And Mary Louise Parker is the true knockout there - she's -64 born but looks like someone just turned 30!!! :eek:

I dunno, maybe an actor like Mar Hamill who was so 'boyish' looking is his young years would almost necessarily age somewhat less gracefully than some of them who never really looked young...[face_thinking]

13. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Hmmm....don't a lot of actors and actresses gain/lose weight for various roles? While Mark and Carrie are a little old to drastically lose a ton of weight, I see no reason why they can't lose a little bit of it. So, Mark, if you're reading this, I hope you like oatmeal! ;)

Carrie's already lost a bit of weight, I think....

I'm sort of kidding around here. Actually, Mark looks fine...just a bit round in the middle. Who's to say at this point what roles the big four will be playing, anyway? I'd be happy if Mark just pulls an "old Ben Kenobi" and hardly fights at all.

And about R.E.D. I loved that movie.

What's Mark unsure about, exactly?

kataja and DarthRelaxus like this.
  14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    If he is unsure (haven't read any quotes that he is btw), it's probably just the same old stuff of being known as Luke Skywalker, but he's supposedly over that now. Still, he might want to remain distant to Star Wars.

15. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I don't think Hamill is a very good actor, but Luke Skywalker isn't a very hard part to play, he did a good job with it, I'd love to see him back

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah, anybody could've made an audience believe a muppet was real......

krtmd and kataja like this.
  17. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Hamill is an incredible voice actor. See: his portrayal of The Joker for the past ~20 years or so, among other roles.

I don't think he'd need to do anything but show up to be a believable post-war Luke.

18. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Well look at Oscar winning actress Natalie Portman, she was one of the worst actresses/actors in the Prequel trilogy. Her lines that are supposed to rock the Star Wars world end up falling flat, "Anakin you're breaking my heart" "So this is how Republic dies, with thunderous applause". It is my belief that it was Lucas as a director that directed the actors to fall flat. He is amazing at creating a galaxy and writing plot, however, he can not give direction. I know there are quotes about it out there

19. kataja

May 4, 2007
    [QUOTEAmbervikings91]I don't think Hamill is a very good actor, but Luke Skywalker isn't a very hard part to play, he did a good job with it, [/QUOTE]
    We agree about the last ;) I think Hamill is a very talented actor but with a knack of finding some pretty terrible films. And I think Luke Skywalker is a very hard role to play, especially after Mark Hamill's work with the role. I think he was pretty natural in it, though. In general, it's not easy to play a green kid who's supposed to be whiny and likable at the same time - and who's supposed to grow so much over only three films. I recall I've often seen movie critics name the protagonist of a new movie a "Luke Skywalker-type" - but I can't remember one of those actors - hardly the films they were in. Mark Hamill made Luke Skywalker a cutlural icon - without any fuss. He makes it look so easy that people think there never was anything to it.

Yes o_O It's sad. Still, I think she does a brave job with the lines and scenes she has. It can't be easy deliver your lines naturally from inside that wardrobe :rolleyes:

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Seriously. If Hamill didn't sell Yoda as well as he did, TESB wouldn't hold up all these years later. I love where he talks about being the only human on the call sheet for months on end while shooting those training scenes. Talk about hard.

21. Remember Adwa

Remember Adwa Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2012
    I don't know, he was not charismatic enough for me in ROTJ.

22. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    I thought he was brilliant I Jedi. I might even place it as my second favorite in the series.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    He was playing the part of an isolated moisture farmer from the rimworld planet of Tatooine...I think he played the naive farmboy well.

24. Remember Adwa

Remember Adwa Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2012
    He was supposed to be much more during ROTS.

25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, that baby in ROTS was spectacular! I didn't realize that was Mark Hamill, though—amazing what they can do with Makeup and CG these days! :p

Arawn_Fenn and krtmd like this.