main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh yeah, I love Jackson's Kong as well, but it needs about an hour judiciously excised from its first two acts. The third act is note perfect.

My point was and remains, though, that it feels bloated because it was expanded rather unnecessarily from a tight, briskly paced original. That is not at all the case with The Hobbit films, which even at 7-1/2 hours will still barely be able to cram in all the source material.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah, those last five second really ruin the movie. :p

And anyway, how can you tell? The angle is level with Kong's bod and I seem to recall seeing rubble 'round him. Will have to check the DVD at some point soon, as I've only seen the movie like six or eight times and don't quite have its fourteen hour running time memorized.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They really needed to edit/completely cut out the scenes on the boat when they were getting to Skull Island. A bullet-time typewriting scene? Seriously? Once they get where they need to go, it becomes first-rate entertainment.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I think it needs to be paired down, not entirely deleted. The characterizations are important and without that sequence, Jack and Ann never meet! I will further opine that Jackson made a misstep when he changed Driscoll from a vaguely misogynistic sailor to a sensitive writer, as it undercuts the Beauty and the Beast angle. But I digress.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Did you ever see the '76 version with The Dude? Just curious. I never saw it except for a few clips, and I thought the visuals were fairly decent.

Back on topic, I'm either getting my tickets tonight or tomorrow. One of the downsides of planning a group midnight showing with a bunch of guys is that we keep putting it off [face_frustrated]

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Empire State Building is 400 metres high and Kong weighed at least several tonnes. My point is there should've been a small crater in the street, a little bit of rubble just doesn't cover the force of the impact. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe in the Special Edition he plummets into the Earth's core, flooding the streets with tons of boiling lava. Nature's vengeance against man.

8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The extended version of King Kong is much better than the theatrical one. Longer, but the pacing is much better for some weird reason.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh yeah, it's one of my favorite films. Everyone else in the world hates it, but it has an emotional punch that sets it apart from the other two versions (Jackson tried to emulate this in his film but only modestly succeeds) and a photographic verisimilitude that also pegs it as unique in the "trilogy" of Kong films. Rick Baker's performance as Kong is also worth seeing. When I was a kid I thought it was a real gorilla, but that was before I knew apes are quadrupeds with very distinct anatomy from humans. The film is certainly worth checking out. John Barry's score is particularly lovely.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    There are also ridiculously bulky dinosaurs in the movie, and giant insects that would collapse in on themselves of their own weight, and a weird melange of races from black to Asian to Hispanic to Caucasian among the Pacific Island natives, and an absurdly well-muscled playwright, and oh yes a GIANT GORILLA who falls in love with a blonde woman. This is not exactly the same reality as the one we inhabit. :D

MrZAP and Random Comments like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Rick Baker?! Holy moly I had no idea! I might have to check this one out.

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah, Carlo Rambaldi gets credit for the Kong suit "with special contributions by Rick Baker", but Rambaldi developed the 50-foot Kong robot that's seen on screen for about three seconds (it's cut around because it looks and moves horribly) while Baker not only developed the suit and the numerous prosthetic masks employed to give Kong different emotions, but he actually plays Kong as the stuntman or mime inside the suit. It's incredibly effective, IMO.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Lawrence of Arabia would like to have a word with you. :p

I have also seen the 76 version of King Kong. My thoughts are significantly less positive than Merlin's (a fact about which it seems we once went three or four rounds about), but I won't go into them.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The wetas weren't too much bigger than the real thing.

[​IMG]

Chewgumma and Everton like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked Lawrence of Arabia quite a bit, but maybe I'm just a stickler for accuracy. I just wish the characters would speak their native language. Regardless, it's most definitely a classic.

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Sure, because "hand-sized" and "human-sized" are virtually the same size, amIright? o_O

17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, obviously. :p I'm quite aware that a massive amount of artistic license was used, and that it requires a pretty good suspension of belief on the audience's part - my point is that it takes place on Earth and I would like it if the laws of physics were followed at least roughly... :p Besides, a small impact crater would look more dramatic and better on screen, right?

18. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    So, after a few tweaks here and there, here is what I hope to be the final version of The Twelve Days of Arda:

On the (first, etc...) twelfth day of Yuletide
    my true love sent to me:
    Twelve Valar watching,
    Eleven Elders speaking,
    Ten flagships sinking,
    Nine Nazgul flying,
    Eight Walkers mourning,
    Seven Dwarf-lords digging,
    Six great swords swinging,
    Five clashing armies,
    Four brave Hobbits,
    Three Elven-kings,
    Two film trilogies,
    and the One Ring precious to me.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes, right, absolutely. I'll have to re-visit the scene, though, to be sure this wasn't done. Surely there were effects technicians and production assistants suggesting just such a thing as the film was being made. One wonders why Jackson would have avoided it, if indeed he did. As I recall the angle is level with Kong so we can't really see whether there's a crater or not.

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Brilliant, Lauré. =D=

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Brilliant.:eek:

I found Bombadil to be... a bit... unnerving. I read the Simarillion recently partly hoping to hear his true backstory, and thought it was strange he never showed up.

Now I sort of want to read LOTR again to catch all the Bombadil references....

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    How dare you misspell Tolkien in you signature. :p

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That was probably the first time I have enjoyed something LOTR related in decades.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The error has been remedied...:p