main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Royal Family Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No you're right; Honey Boo-Boo having any form of celebrity is far more enlightened.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tunick -- Americans worship the false, transient throne of Hollywood celebrity. Or, you know, sports heroes.

That high horse you're riding on? yeah, that's actually a children's carousel.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Honey Boo-Boo is far less inbred.

4. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    That is incredibly distasteful and I lol'd.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think I'd prefer being Welsh to being American.

Not Irish though. I draw the line there.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You have to be fair, Ender. Our governmental system is the only one as widely admired and copied as the Westminster system, and your own country blends the two approaches. There's a reason we talk about the Anglo-American system. I'm not sure if you'd really rather be Welsh.

We did the whole overthrowing monarchy and instituting a republic thing better than everyone. Especially the French.

7. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    The USA has lots of royal families living within its boarders, if we really wanted royalty we could have them.

I have never read about the Japanese going crazy about their royal family like the British do. I know its a part of the culture But you Brits act like they are Star Trek or Star Wars or Marvel or something. I am Senesing that revoking some Brits NERD CARDS are in order.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Um.

Dark Lady Mara and Ender_Sai like this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Who's the author?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Some doddering old archmaester I'm sure.

I'll be picking up the book during dinner. I'll let you know once I have it.

11. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Not you to Jello! I always thought Your nerdiness was unquestioned, remember you priorities man!

The Only Royal house you sware fealty to are in a Galaxy Far Far Away! Or on a Planet where winter lasts for years on end!

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah I'm sure Crown Princess Masako begs to differ.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Whatever you say bud ;)...lol

14. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Can we not fall into the "who's Country is better" What ever happend to the spirit of comming together and being united in our loves of...Stuff

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    oh yeah, Brits don't have any form of hero worship with footballers. None at all.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Unlike Tunick or Ender, I don't really care about comparing and contrasting the U.S. and the U.K. I am an avowed supporter of American republicanism and British monarchism. The whole point of my post was that this whole holier-than-thou thing doesn't work -- people will like what they like, and pretending that you're above it all by not caring for it is pretty silly.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sorry I can't see all the American vs British back and forth; all I can see in this post is BABIES!!!

:D

18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    and, more importantly, our hatred of and disdain for the French.

19. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    The Other Other White Meat!

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also. Thailand.

21. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    You know I never got the Whole Hate the French things. The British i understand their Beef with the french, the USA....Why?

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  22. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have the public's respect. They seem like, and I've no doubt are, genuinely good people. I know a monarchy spits up what it spits up, but right now we're at the start of a winning line and it feels so good. The balance between a Royal relationship with the public and a personal relationship with the public has been struck just about perfectly. Even the British press have a healthy relationship with this Royal couple. Everyone is working together. There is a genuine wish - across the country and even in the tabloids - to see this young family thrive. It's hard to pin down, but it's there. Okay, there's been the odd slip, but it was never going to be plain sailing. Nothing ever is. Although nobody wished Charles and Diana ill, they were treated as a show. A circus. They were also based on a lie. The Duke and Duchess are a couple built on truth, and it shows. Respect flows in all directions (press, public and the Royal couple) and it's great. For the first time in a long time, there's a genuine connection between the face of the Royal family and the British public. So the child has great prospects. Conditions are set fair. Heavy will be the responsibility, but less frequently, less brightly and more appropriately, will the spotlight hit him or her.

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Ender,

I am an Anglo-phile. I love all things British, including the royal family. I'll send you a pm a bit later regarding how my family wound up in America. It wasn't by our choice. :(

24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Especially since the U.S. wouldn't exist without the French.

Aside-
    Don't the British know that real royalty are supposed to adopt an entire litter of kids from around the world like Brangelina? Get with the times.

25. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Especially as the French helped them achieve their independence, seeing as they were fighting their common enemy: the Brits. They even sent their best commander, the Marquis de Lafayette, to give the poor beleaguered colonials a hand. So I really didn't get why of a sudden the French fries got named Freedom fries. A bit insulting, really.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: BABY!!!!!!!

Cheers,
    Lauré :)