main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Part 4 Video Released

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by krtmd, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I actually agree with that. If they are setting it on New Years Eve there is something they are going to reveal.

2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    ummm, you guys do know these were all tapped at the same time month(s) ago? Right?

You arent expecting these to have any new info...right?

-C

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know. Given how well they managed the new Episode 7 and the sell to Disney hidden for so long (since June?), we'll see.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think you might be getting your hopes up. I said it in another thread, I real think these vidoes are just to introduce us to Kathleen Kennedy. I hope I'm wrong though!

5. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    Ummm Everything about this film was kept secret. Its very existence was kept secret. Its likely there was stuff decided that has not yet been revealed to the public yet. Just because the interview was record a while back does not mean it does not contain info we do not know yet.

Echo-07 likes this.
  6. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    Notice I did not predict anything specific. It could be a title, a little plot point. This would have been released as a single video if it is not building to something. An interview like this would likely end with a final question about what is to come. It maybe a vague answer at best. But I suspect enough to keep us all discussing and debating what it means until more comes along.

7. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    We really no nothing at this point. So any one word detail would be NEW!

8. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I was hoping for some little insight into 7,8 and 9.

Oh well.

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I don't know. If you look really closely, Kathleen's hair is about a quarter of an inch longer than it was in the first video. And George's beard is totally different, and way beardier in the fourth video. I'm thinking that they are actually putting Gale, George and Kathleen in the same clothes and filming new content every week. Also, if you get out a ruler, you can clearly see that the plants on the mantle are several inches separated from their position in Video 1. Somewhere around Video 3 or 4, all of the continuity fell apart.

It's obvious.

10. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I don't think that we will get anything of substantial out of these videos and it's not a bad thing. Like someone else said, it's a way to introduce KK in SW geekdom and they are doing great with these tapes. I found them repetitive but it's a way to get used of having KK as the leader of future SW movies. In the future, those production videos will be all about KK, not McCalllum or Lucas....it will be a strange new world.

I find it suprising that the last video would be uploaded on New Year's Eve, since it's common knowledge that you only release bad news when people are on holidays !

Darth Chiznuk and Darthsuggs like this.
  11. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003

I didn't either....but the fact that they are releasing the next one on a holiday makes me second guess that.

12. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I didn't think a continuation of the Kennedy/ Lucas video would contain any news. But I was hoping there may be an extra update on the site.

I still think that video is proof that you need others to help translate GL's vision of the human condition into something less dry (his original drafts of the OT read exactly like the PT). It's like he's become (or already was) so into the history and broadstrokes of human nature that he's lost the ability to portray what actually makes us tick (prime example: Padme losing the will to live).

For me, it's one of the most intriguing aspects of the PT - I think the actual story and ideas are perhaps more interesting than the PT - that SW lost some of its humanity in the telling (i.e. execution).

I remember GL talking on the ROTS commentary about the scene in which Anakin discusses his visions with Yoda. It struck me as cold and a touch insensitive. Had Yoda's coldness been the point and was designed to highlight a failing of the old Jedi order then great, but GL's comments suggested he thought that Yoda's advice was correct - we should learn not to mourn the passing of those we love. And I get that.

But it's so at odds with the reality of how we as human beings react. There is a massive grey area between being crippled by such a loss and achieving an almost icy detached zen to the loss that most of us probably experience and I remember finding it a little odd that GL thought Yoda's advice was the correct advice.

I think if you filter his immense talents through other talented collaborators you will always get the best out of SW, and I'm hoping that's the case here. Everything I've heard about Kennedy suggests she is more than up to the challenge.

13. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    Don't forget the new trilogy and the Disney sale was announced the day before Halloween.

14. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Halloween is not a holiday and from what I've heard, the news was about to be broke out by someone else. They had no choice.

I don't think that Disney would announce some big news on a holiday. From a marketing point of view, you lose a great deal of momemtum by releasing an important news when nobody is watching.

The last video may be about some geek news.....like...hey you can't do a Episode 7 without Luke Skywalker....but nothing from the production of the movie.

Darthsuggs likes this.
  15. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I love it...this just reeinforces the point about how brilliant George is at storytelling. He gets it. Heck, he gets human nature. The guy missed his calling as a historian. =D= Or a college professor...

Hoping that the'll say who the director is by New Years, but not holding my breath.

TreborSabreon and Darthsuggs like this.
  16. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I agree. I think we might get something like a Hamill confirmation but not like a director or anything.

17. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    Halloween is not a Holiday???? What planet are you from?

There is no proof that they were forced to announce anything. Now they are picking these dates by choice. A New Year is symbolic of a new area of Star Wars. its seems like something Lucas would do.

Once again this was short interview. It did not need to be split up. They did so for a reason

18. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw in a press conference some time back at Celebration VI about how Filoni is being guided by George to eventually replace him. Kathy is going to serve more as the producer of the show, and the president of Lucasfilm, but eventually the torch of Star Wars will most likely be passed on to Filoni. Even if he doesn't direct Episode VII, he might direct either VIII or IX, due to the fact that he would be more experienced and take on the torch of Star Wars.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe, but then I ask again, If these videos are just an intro why not release the whole thing all at once?

Avilos likes this.
  20. Avilos

Sep 9, 2002
    A Mark Hamill conformation would be news. It would be all over the internet, not just fan sites. But would get attention from those beyond the core main base.

I think that would be a bigger deal than the director to most people.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Lucas: Oh shoot I forgot to announce the new director on that video. What are the fans going to think of me now? Sigh.

THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
  22. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, they have made some bad decisions over at Lucasfilm the last few years.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  23. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I feel like, at the bare minimum, the brother needs a consulting producer credit.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the correct term is hit-whoring.

Essentially they're stringing out a pretty short, detail-lite interview they recorded awhile ago whilst they new team gets on with laying the ground for the next movie. The main site gets a ton of hits, EP7 stays in the news and they're not revealing anything at all yet. They're probably just treading water until they have something juicy to report.

Filoni is talented no doubt and has done a great job with the CW but I really can't see Disney giving Filoni a live-action tent-pole film to direct, no matter what the original thinking at LFL was. Maybe further down the line they might give him a one-shot movie, but I just can't see it being Episodes 7-9.

The disciplines between live action and animation are huge and not that many have crossed over successfully. Bird did it but that was off the back of the Incredibles and the Iron Giant.

If the Live action TV show ever gets up and running that would be more likely his Live action proving ground.

25. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Kennedy does seem to have a "what the hell have I just gotten into" look in these videos.

FinleySlade likes this.