main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation New movies should stand on their own strength.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    When newer fans see 7, 8 & 9 they should not have to see the older Fox films first. It would be great if these new movie could stand on their own. Knowing they have to tell a complete story with new Heroes & Villans, when a fan views 7-9 everything should make sense withouth needing the other older movies. The Disney trilogy would be much better as a self contained story about events why after the Palpatine situation.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I do like this idea...Same SW universe, Different storyline. Different characters too is what I'd prefer. Faithful to the SW universe in look and feel, and perhaps even acknowledging the story in the past episodes, but not too crucial to its plot. But not just a direct continuation of the story from I-VI, which seems like what most on here are expecting it to be...

At least that's how I'd do it if I had my way...;)

A fresh take-something new for everybody!

3. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    That is as much a given as the fact these will be Star Wars films. It's like saying the sun should be bright.

If the ST includes Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, then it is highly likely that the films will take place a minimum of 32 years after RotJ. The Galaxy has changed in that time span, so it will rely little on the earlier material and be its own thing. It will still be Star Wars, just its own thing, the other trilogies had their own themes/feels/etc., why should this one be any different?

SithLord_1270 likes this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I do agree..........The sun SHOULD be bright! ;)

There's no need for all that. I was simply responding to the topic of discussion this thread posed, as is to be expected. By that standard, I could also say that your statement was "a given" and put it in bold face lettering to emphasize my point for what you said as well.

Besides, I wouldn't say it's SO much of a given that I would like to not even see Han, Leia or Luke-which is what I was referring to. I was just saying I agree with the idea of these 3 episodes being able to stand on their own as a trilogy. The PT didn't necessarily do that as much, since the PT was essentially all about HOW Darth Vader came to be. There were only so many paths that could've been taken between I-III, because the end result was predetermined. And as we all know, since everything had to lead in to IV-VI, there wasn't much breathing room for story development. It'll be nice to see what they come up with, since there are literally endless possibilities for what could happen. All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to relate to I-VI at all, in fact I'd prefer if it didn't.

That being said, I would have actually liked it better if they went backwards instead of forwards-do a trilogy taking place in the days of the Old Republic-like thousands of years BBY. Everything would be fresh and new, (but still the same SW universe we know and love from the perspective of an earlier time), and we'd have a great opportunity to see some things we've never seen before.

5. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Considering the first 6 films are at a close and it's 30 years later they are going to have to stand on their own quite a bit.

DarthRelaxus and DARTH_BELO like this.
  6. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    They may even need walkers and canes to stand. ;)

THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    No....since Luke , Leia & Han are bound to return your better off seing the OT to get to know these characters plus I don't think there would be one single person going to EP7 who hasn't seen the OT unless there from outer space or living under a rock .

DarthRelaxus and SithLord_1270 like this.
  8. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I believe that the new films should be filmed with the idea that some fans are seeing Star Wars for the first time. It should have an original storyline with some original characters with references to the original films but the new films should not dwell there.

Varguitas likes this.
  9. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    If episodes 7-8-9 are indeed based on Lucas treatments, you can bet that the story is about the Skywalker legacy.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  10. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    The Skywalker Legacy is literally the omnipresent center of all of Star Wars. It is holistic of Star Wars and Star Wars of it. I don't care about the EU and what the rest of people might think on this board. All the patterns all, the flow of time in star wars is Sky Walker. The Skywalker legacy is the first dimension of all of Star Wars. It's the singular point.

Everything is contained within that point. The settings, the people all reflect upon the Sky walkers in some way. They are the balance of the entire saga , the center. The balance of the force, imperials vs rebels.

The skywalker legacy is star wars.

11. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    I really do hope they do not bring back Darth Vader. One thing I like about Star Wars is that when a character is gone they are gone. Of course there is the Force Ghost but when Qui-Gon Jinn was killed he did not reappear although the other characters such as Ben Kenobi and Yoda could hear him. Even if it is set in the Legacy Era there should be new Skywalkers in there. Some other characters should be able to rise. It is the natural order of things.

12. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    You are right and as a fan, I can imagine myself watching a 10-11-12 episodes trilogy with the Skywalker of that era taking a backseat for that trio of movies.

And I agree that "it is a natural order of things".....however...I like the idea of following the destiny of one family. As a huge fan of the godfather trilogy, I know Coppola could have filmed another fourth movie about some other italian family from that era or later on, but it would not had been the same without the Corleone's family.

The SW movies will never reinvent the wheel, most blockbuster movies plays out roughly the same. Three-arc stories where the main characters goes up, falls down and fights through a heroic comeback.

With that in mind, might as well have a Skywalker playing the heroic part and not some "Katernakis or some new names".

The SW legacy is linked to the Skywalker family and (hopefully) not solely about Anakin.

13. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree bringing back Vader would be the most terrible idea ever and I don't acknowledge any argument against that here legitimately...

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    obviously the big three will make an appearance by i wouldn't mind seeing Denis Lawson reprise his role as Wedge Antilles in an Admiral Ackbar type role him being in command of the New Republic fleet.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  15. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    Well....with Luke having the important task of rebuilding the Jedi Order and Leia likely rebuilding the Republic......it's more than passing the baton. I could even imagine Lando in the Bail Organa role of the ST.

The need for Luke and Leia in the ST is far greater than simply passing the baton (which is something that will be naturally done throughout the new movies)......I can imagine Leia surviving the ST....but....much to my chagrin....I think that Luke's days are numbered and when it will happened.....it will certainly be the saddest unique moment in the SW saga.

Hope the director of that scene will be up to the task.

16. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Unless these things have already taken place. I would assume something went on for the 30+ years between the events of ROTJ and Ep VII.

17. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    The opening crawl will likely bring us up to speed.....but I would say that it will take more than 30 years to achieve all this...

18. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    If we look at the Star Wars Saga as it ended in Return of the Jedi. Luke is the only "Fully Trained" Jedi Knight in the galaxy. It would take quite a long time to build a completely new Jedi Order and to find the students. Luke has his work cut out for him. If Luke is to become one with the Force I do not wish for it to be the way it was in Star Trek. Kirk long outlasted his time in that galaxy. Luke should go out more as Yoda did in my opinion.

19. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    I was under the impression that this was 30 years later. There could be Jedi by then.

20. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    It might be thirty years after Return of the Jedi never the less I would like to see more of a Luke Skywalker doing some things that the Son of Suns would be capable of doing. Hopefully they will not make Luke a one film and done character in the new films. That would also be a shame.

21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    You don't have to watch the first trilogy in order to understand the second one, or vice versa. As far as I'm concerned, it's a given that the third trilogy will be able to stand on its own legs just as well as the other two.

"I have a good feeling about this"
    /LM

22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    What's the Son of Suns? is that like being "The Chosen One?" but i could imagine Luke being in two films with him dying in the second and returning as a spirit in the third.

23. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Luke Skywalker is the Son of the Suns.

24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's a prophesy from the early drafts of ANH. It would have applied to Luke.

25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I take it (hope) that the story of the ST will be constructed in such a way that it can either be viewed as it's own thing, or as part of the 1-9 saga. That is, I'm still hoping for an arc that spans 1-9. Kind of like how you can view 4-6 as their own arc, or as part of the 1-6 saga with its own arc.

I seem to recall some people at some point watching only 4-6, actually... but I can't be sure. it's been too long, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Artoo-Dion and Julius Vernon like this.