main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Zero Dark Thirty

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Really been looking forward to this one. Hell of a cast (Coach Taylor!) and the early reviews have been extremely positive. Looks like Bigelow's got another knockout.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm looking forward to it too.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I've seen the trailer for this before and I am curious to see this movie. I wonder how accurate it will be.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I've seen the trailer for this before and I am curious to see this movie. I wonder how accurate it will be.

5. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've seen the movie for this before and I am curious to see this accurate. I wonder how trailer it will be.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i dont give a ****

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I am frankly unexcited by the vulgarity of all this celebration about murdering someone, as I was the evening on which it occurred.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, this is the first movie in which someone gets killed.

RC-1991, Point Given and Havac like this.
  10. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I'll be interested to see what this movies politics are.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lol if u think that's what he's complaining about

12. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    You were expecting Bin Laden to go peacefully? Perhaps stand trial? You are much more optimistic than I.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The greatest (worst) part is that the TV spot basically says that the Iraq War as well as the Afghanistan War culminated in bin Laden's death. lol

Rah rah rah dead brown heathens.

But maybe I'll see it for Burt Macklin, FBI.

14. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    It was totally in our power to do so.

15. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    True. Just overly optimistic, IMO

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know if I'd put much stock in how they decide to market it to the general public. This is from Bigelow, and it's not like The Hurt Locker was exactly a celebration of those wars.

It's also worth noting that they were making this film already when Bin Laden was killed. They had to change the script in the middle of shooting it to include his death. I wager it'll be much more focused on the intelligence operations to find him than on his actual death.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  17. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    But don't you think it's a little cynical to suggest that its overly optimistic to think that we might try to actually apply the principle of justice to a criminal?

Adam of Nuchtern and Darth Guy like this.
  18. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    luckily i am not a member of the pc police so i will be able to allow myself to see this and perhaps even enjoy it if it turns out to be any good.

19. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    No, I think that it is overly optimistic to think that bin Laden was actually going to surrender peacefully. I'm not sure what you are basing that belief on; what about his previous statements has led you to believe that he would be willing to stand trial?

20. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    It's not really a matter of whether he was willing to stand trial, he was unarmed when he was killed, and could have been apprehended. Of course, I very much suspect that there was never any intention to capture him, that it was a "kill only" mission in spirit if not in letter. This disturbs me as a citizen of a free nation.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    New York critics gave it Best Pic of the year.

Apparently it's a procedural in the All the President's Men vein. 2.5 hours, as well. Looking forward to it.

22. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    They made a Perfect Dark Zero movie?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I decided to find out since Obama supporters (which would probably include Bigelow 'cause, you know, Hollywood) tend to ignore or excuse all the shady **** his administration pulls.

I wonder if it takes its criticism further. I mean, that's a rather easy shot.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would be pretty angry if that's the only "shot" they take. I'm not aware of any evidence that there has been water-boarding during the Obama Administration. It, and a number of other tactics were banned as torture when he took office. There is plenty to criticize without making stuff up.

25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    From what I've read that seems to be the extent of it (Though some of the reviews say it's actually footage from an interview during the '08 campaign.) Someone who saw it claims there's also a bit where Rumsfeld's "known unknowns" comment gets ridiculed.

Pretty much. The reviewers are all saying that the bulk of the film focuses on Chastain's character trying to track him down with the actual raid taking up the final twenty or so minutes.