main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books So... is the Darth Bane trilogy any good?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Dec 3, 2012.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I'm getting into the KOTOR era of Star Wars and similar works and I'm starting to find Darth Bane kind of intriguing, but I think I remember a mixed reaction to the books.

Should I give them a go after finishing up Darth Plagueis?

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's the better of Drew K's works stay the **** away from Revan and Annihilation though

LordDlow and Manisphere like this.
  4. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009

cwustudent likes this.
  5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Try as you might, you won't avoid the "Revan is Space Jesus" worship that Drew does. I enjoyed the first book regardless, but as they went on, I found them to get rather inconsistent. Drew kept trying to portray Bane as a super genius new age Sith Lord, but he kept making incredibly dumb decisions.

Just be ready for more of Revan being the end all super sith.

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah after TOR Revan **** kind of annoys me now

7. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I didn't mind it in The Sith Lords, because the person who told you most about Revan was also a chronic liar. And he was treated more as a pivotal figure, the embodiment of power. He was not the end all Force user god. In the end Revan was just a man.

But who needs that when we can turn him into Superman and have him get his ass kicked to show just how strong Nihilus 2.0 is!

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I still find it hilarious his son has his name backwards

I mean really

Drew K was awful at fleshing out the Sith Emperor as well granted when it was hyping him it was the most entertaining the book got, it never explained why? TOR manages to make more interesting then an entire book focusing on him in a single conversation during the boss fight by at least giving him a semblance of a motive

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, his son has Renav's name backwards.

Which the book does not do, as Karpyshyn warned us on his blog prior to the book's release.

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Meh, give the first Bane book a try. The fact of the matter is that Karpyshyn is far from the best SW writer. His two best books, his first two, were already plotted for him for the most part from prior works. His prose is really really simple. His structuring is fairly good sometimes. His books aren't popular on the lit boards for several reasons. Mainly because they aren't overly literate. But the Bane books are fun.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not talking about just Drew on this, but on how everyone post TSL decided to hero worship Revan to the point where he became a second Thrawn super tactical unstoppable god of war force genius.

It just so happens that Revan made the Thought Bomb first? Or that all of Bane's teachings come from Revan's original philosophies?

Darth_Pevra and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. Darth Myon

Darth Myon Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    Why all the Drew Hate?!?!?!? I find all his books to be great. He is my second favorite author behind Stackpole. I would wholeheartedly recommend reading the bane trilogy.

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    His books subsequent to the Bane trilogy suck

14. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    To say the least, he's quite the polarizing figure on these boards. He's not the most polarizing (read: Karen Traviss), but he does have plenty of people on both sides of the fence that are vehement about their feelings.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or, don't.

cwustudent, windu4, Ulicus and 5 others like this.
  16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Yes. The novels aren't the most technical by any sense. Drew will never win an award for his prose, but they are enjoyable. And there's something nice about his simplistic writing style in a way. At least you can say it is his own style and he recognizes that and runs with it. Better that than he try to imitate Zahn and have everything be a fantastic failure. I enjoyed all three of his novels, and have found that I can read them over and enjoy them just as much.

Xammer likes this.
  17. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Should I have used the "ie." instead? [face_beatup]

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I also can’t really stand his books, though that really might be more do to them being set in my least favorite era and usually having Jedi, Sith, Jedi and a few more Sith as characters. I did kind of enjoy the first Bane book, well at least up to the point where Bane starts his Sith training, as after that it just became a chore to read.

19. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Nah, just one: they're bad. :p

Manisphere likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The first one was the best. The next two weren't as good. They were good but POD was the best by far.

SateleNovelist11 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. Darth Myon

Darth Myon Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    I can't believe you guys... Have you even read every EU novel like I have? There is alot of worse stuff out there... Planet of Twilight anyone?

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Read the comic Jedi vs Sith instead. Then choose if you want to read the Bane trilogy to supplement it. They're not awful, if you go into them expecting nothing more than the literary equivalent of a popcorn movie. Much more pleasant than a Michael Bay movie, I will say that much.

Meh, I think accusations of Revan worship are overstated. There are two important details to keep in mind.

1. Revan is only mentioned in Path of Destruction. The latter two are completely Revan free.

2. At the time of POD's release, Revan had not been mentioned in any source outside of KOTOR and the KOTOR comics. In this way, it could just simply be seen as connecting the stories, something I like to see often in Star Wars. Freedon Nadd and other Sith Lords Bane later learns from had been mentioned extensively; at that point, Revan only existed inside his own game. I'm also willing to grant a little leeway in an author referencing his own creation.

There are many, many reasons to criticize the Darth Bane trilogy. Revan worship is not one of them.

Zeta1127, DarthJenari and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    This is the correct response. If you're interested in Bane, read Jedi vs. Sith, which depicts an awesome, badass Bane. Avoid the Bane books, which rewrite him so that the character doesn't make much sense, and turn him into the most generic, bland, and uninteresting Sith Lord ever to live.

25. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    I've only read Path of Destruction and Rule of Two so far, but I can't say I'm impressed. I can't exactly put my finger on it but these books left me very unsatisfied after I was done with them. Probably one of the reason was that the writing wasn't very good at all. From the few authors I've read so far, I think the author's style is the most comparable to that of Jude Watson's (who's books I also don't really like most of the time) in the sense that everything is described in a very simplistic and abrupt manner. For example, I found Kevin J. Anderson's account of what happend on Dxun to be way more interesting that how it was described in Rule of Two.

Bane and Zannah are not very likeable or interesting characters either. Perhaps they would have been if they were magnificent bastards like Plagueis or Palpatine, but the only reason they get away with what they do is because the Jedi act like idiots.