main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Hyperspace in the EU and movies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Riven_JTAC, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Keep in mind that POV characters are almost uniformly flying:

A) Republic or Imperial Naval vessels with galactic R&D resources at their disposal and the ability to ignore "speed limits" and other travel restrictions.
    B) Rebel or smuggler ships which by definition do not obey restrictions or technological governing devices limiting their capabilities.
    C) Jedi vessels whose pilots can use the Force to find faster routes and who enjoy pretty much every exemption there is.

Civilian travel is a whole different experience. We rarely see "how the other half flies," but the Lando Calrissian trilogy is notable for showing the kind of hoops civilians have to jump through at the mercies of customs agents and space traffic cops, and it's made particularly clear in Before the Storm, where civilian ships take four days just to get out of Coruscant's orbit, but all the main character ships have military waivers that let them hotdog it around at will.

Sarge and kataja like this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    We also had those fun traffic lanes for Kuat and Brentaal, in which you could apparently spend days just trying to get to the planet at sub light if you were not government or a guild ship.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  3. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Nice thread!!!! And I soooo agree with the hyperspace travel-times from the various RPG sources (first WEG, then WotC, and now FFG), which makes the GGFA so much more realistic and, in my opinion, enjoyable. It is ridiculous that Emperor Palpatine travels from Coruscant to Mustafar in mere hours (or even less): if this was the case, people of the Core would go shopping in the Outer Rim every 'weekend', and the outer regions would not be as desolate as they are... In my enjoyment of the GGFA (and for my timeline), I use the days/weeks given by the RPG books for traveling...

Dad on Coruscant: "Hey, you know the XP-38 is 100 credits cheaper on Tatooine than it is at our local shop?
    Mom on Coruscant: "If we order it now, it will arrive just in time for our son's birthday in two days!"

Yeah, right...

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    How did he mess it up if he was the first author to go in depth about it?

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Assuming that other authors will follow his lead with his hyperdrive factors.

6. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow, thanks a bunch! I've never come across something like that.

7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Stumbled of this just as I sat and teared my hear over hyperspace travelling in a fanfic I'm writing... :p Great thread - and thanks jasonfry for the input. I think the "speed of plot" is a very good term. Luke spending weeks on Dagobah certainly explains a few things - and opens up for ideas of what happened between Han and Leia as it took them so long to arrive to Bespin ;) Must have been some ups and downs there...

As for Zahn, I take my hat off for him trying to bring some sense into the mess.

8. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah, it always made more sense to me that when you give a number value and say that it is x "past" lightspeed, that the higher the number is, the faster you're going.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And when do we see him "assuming that"?

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Don't worry about it. It's a real life retcon..

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the films, it just doesn't take that long to go anywhere, including Core to Outer Rim.

Anyway, we should be at Alderaan about oh-two-hundred hours.

This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi and it will soon see the end of the Rebellion.

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I think he is listing the time of day in that one, though you would also have to also consider that they have already been in hyperspace for a while as well.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You think?

14. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I also wonder if, in terms of a "retcon," because I'm sure it wasn't the intention at the time, that it was the start of another leg. Everyone seems pretty well settled in the room, and it's implied that Luke and Obi-Wan have been at it for awhile. Han joins the party and to say, "You can forget about those Imperial slugs; I told you I'd outrun them" seems really out of place if it's something that happened quite some time ago.

I'm sure that, at the time, it was meant to refer to the ImpStars over Tatooine, but now it might be considered Imperials they ran into elsewhere.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    On most days I do. ;)

Didn’t the ANH novel actually explain it with them getting followed from Tatooine? Don’t have it on hand to check, but I could have sworn Han sort of already hints at the Vector tracing system for following things through hyperspace we later learn more about at that point.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The novel says nothing of the sort. Its treatment is essentially the same as the film.

"Can't nobody track another ship accurately at supralight speeds." - p114

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Thx for checking :). Must have been another place where it is brought up. Though the implication here would also be that all you have for trying to catch a ship in hyerspace is to follow its jump vector as you can’t properly track the ship in hyperspace itself.

18. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    [​IMG]

(this coming from a guy who quoted a direct page number and quote from the return of the jedi novelization to prove that (this---->) video couldn't happen... (cookie if you can find the quote..)

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Does hyperspace madness still exist? I'm just watching TCW or the Mandalorian, and I see someone on a starship bridge staring into the blue swirly stuff and this comes to mind. But even in Legends, I'm wondering if it's something that was depicted consistently. Looking on Wookieepedia, it seems like hyperspace madness was only ever mentioned in three Legends sources, so maybe this is just something that was brought up and then forgotten about?

Irredeemable Fanboy and Sarge like this.
  20. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I suspect the condition, if it ever comes up again, is rather conditionally based on the person and their susceptibility.

Could be a condition similar to epileptic seizures...some people could be triggered...others will not.

If you don't know if you could be prone to it, don't look into the blue.

With such little detail, it could be just about anything. Maybe prolonged duration in hyperspace is required. Certain levels of fatigue or exhaustion. Maybe certain species or even humans from different worlds/environmental conditions are more likely to experience it.

Ultimately, it is just a random factoid at present. But nothing says it can't show up somewhere down the road.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, overall the Atlas and other sources made a pretty convincing argument about why hyperspace travel was at the speed of plot, between the twist routes, different engine types, stellar drift etc.

Still, I can't help but feel like there are two major hyperspace speeds:
    1) Star Wars as adventure speed - in this you can hope all over the galaxy in a ship too small for a bathroom, much less bed and kitchen, no problem.
    2) Star Wars as mili-scifi speed. In this, things are still fast by the standards of most sci-fi, but travel is still long and difficult enough that there are supply lines, front lines, convoys traveling vulnerably in realspace rather than safely through hyperspace, reinforcements or resupply can take a long time to get there, planets can be valuable entirely for their strategic location, and you can launch hit and run attacks successfully without getting instantly swarmed by reinforcements from all over the galaxy.

It is not even the type of story either - sometimes you can see them side by side. For instance, the Last Jedi has the main fleet running low of fuel while traveling a shot distance while Finn and Rose are able to travel halfway across the galaxy and back in the same time. (I get thematically why Canto Bight was put in the Corporate Sector, but boy does it make that part of the plot all the more odd).
    Meanwhile in rebels I couldn't help but notice that while the main heroes can zip away from imperial attacks without difficulty, when they attack imperial convoys, they jump to hyperspace very slowly, if at all, and it isn't entirely clear why they are out of hyperspace at all since they don't seem to be close to anything.

TCW does give something of an explanation in the Malevolence arc where Anakin's fighters can pass through a hyperspace route that his cruisers and the Malevolence are unable to fit through, but even that can't explain all the oddities and inconsistencies.

Irredeemable Fanboy and Sarge like this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Well the High Republic recently philosophized about Hyperspace and the Force being the very same thing... if true, and it looks like, while not outright stating it but speculating on it inuniverse pov style only, that the Disney Universe is running with that idea, that means that the Force can affect Hypertravel times however it likes, aka speed of plot.

What is odd though is that characters act as if they do not know that and as if all is consistent, while it is obvious to us readers and should be as obvious to the characters that it is not consistent.

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I used to love running around inside the Ebon Hawk in the KOTOR games...running up to the bridge, playing with equipment builds, character levels, dialog paths, watching hyperspace...just wander around for a good bit...then finally pick the destination and POOF, you were there.

Speed of the plot, indeed.

24. The way in which the Ships arrive at their destination after the Hyperspace in TCW and Disney Movies and Shows like Mandalorian, Rogue One or Disney ST are the same you cant deny that they are part of the same Universe

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2023
  25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh yeah, so what about multiple ships being in the same hyperspace "tunnel"? I think we see that at least once in TCW, in TFA, and in the Mandalorian. Did this ever occur in Legends? When they do this, does that mean their hyperdrives are somehow synchronized together? Can these ships shoot at each other while in hyperspace?

Also, the dialogue in TFA seems to suggest that ships can just loiter in hyperspace after having reached their destination, and then revert back to realspace at the time of their choosing. Poe and his squadron are just hanging out in hyperspace, waiting for the shield to be deactivated, before dropping out to begin their attack.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    ColeFardreamer likes this.