main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation George Lucas says "I don't really have much to do."

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 3, 2012.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not in relation to literally in any of the other movies, he doesn't. producer/writer/director is titanic amounts of responsibility compared to being a creative consultant.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't think that's a contradiction. Horn said Lucas was very involved. Lucas said he didn't have much o do. If you put two and two together you see that basically Lucas is asked to consult on the story, characters and probably the design aspects. He probably looks everything over and offers his suggestions. That's involvement without having to do any of the heavy lifting.

Alexrd and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Lucas is just down playing his involement incase EP7 is hated he can say well "It wasn't me" .

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Probably. I think I might have read to much into his comments.

6. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I think George is just tired of being the target of internet hostility and wants to distance himself from the machine. I honestly don't think he will be consulted all that much, and the media releases are more to do with paying homage to the guy that started it all than "Oh god george we really need you to consult the hell out of this!"
    He'll be kept in the loop, but there are extremely competent people being brought on board and they won't need their hands held.

There's no doubt a part of him will feel sorrow at seeing others take over his creation, but ultimately I think he'll find himself in a happier place without the nonsense that surrounds Star Wars.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sounds like maybe he's bored with retirement already and is feeling that itch to play with Star Wars.

Give me a break. Can you ever imagine George sitting at home in his mansion on a pile of money crying over what people are saying about him on the Jedi Council Forums?

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Am I the only one who never expected Lucas to do more on the ST than answer questions and give information on the GFFA ? I thought that was kind of the point of being a consultant.

I'm not reading a lot into this, except that maybe he got bored with retirement. There are plenty of people who work their asses off for decades and think it would be nice to retire, then end up being very restless and "WTF do I do now?" after only a few weeks.

CT-867-5309 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Maybe not to that extent, but it "does" bother him in some capacity, even if it's only minor:

"Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Darthsuggs likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Eh, I always thought that comment was facetious at best. I don't think Lucas would have lasted this long in the filmmaking business if he were that thin-skinned, and if he really were bothered that much by what the Internet haters say about him, I doubt he'd give them the satisfaction of saying so in Hollywood Reporter.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought it was his way of messing with the extremists. "You guys hate me so much? Fine! No more Star Wars for you. Nanny, nanny, boo, boo." :)

Fettcrom and CT-867-5309 like this.
  13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Sounds more like one more **** you to those people than anything else.

14. Lando's Little Maneuver

Nov 26, 2012
    He was mercilessly berated for the PT, you'd have to be a robot for that not to affect you. Especially considering how many years he dedicated to it. Having a long ass driveway and a big pile of money doesn't instantly render you devoid of feelings.

15. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    He should be involved more. To me personally it doesn't feel like a Star Wars Movie if he isn't creating it.

Fettcrom and Veloz like this.
  16. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Lucas is very involved. As in, he drags himself out of bed, goes down to the studio, picks which design ideas he likes best (which the rest of the team spent weeks agonising over), says 'yes' and 'no' to what's allowed, then goes home. So very much involved, but with jack all to actually do.

Lucas has my dream job, the git.

17. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Lucas gave them his ideas and disney decides what to do with it & which characters to leave in and which to leave out. Lucas not directing will make the movies better I do believe that though. He's a great story teller, average director

Fettcrom likes this.
  18. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Tune in for next weeks thread.....Lucas say " I am not sure what I want for dinner tonight....maybe some Thai?" and get the full analysis of how this effects the new movies and we will also look for an older interview where he contradicts this by saying he "actually likes Chinese food!"....... :rolleyes:

19. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
    Of course it's all just a conspiracy. He actually prefers Indian.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Mercilessly berated....by who? Not all the people who were working with him and getting rich.

Film critics? Okay, I'll give you that.

Fans on the internet? Again, you think he ever went on the internet to read that ****?

You can't be affected by criticism you never see or hear.

I wonder if Lucas ever spent an hour watching those reviews by RedLetterMedia. I doubt it, I never did.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
    The prequels were well received by the public and created a new generation of fans.

The bad reputation was largely created posthumously by hardcore movie dorks.

The PT is great. Of course the OT is better - they are the sequels to it. Duh.

Fettcrom and Saurion-Fett like this.
  22. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    It also started the Internet reviews of movies it was was holly woods first kick in the arse directly from fans.Jar Jar took the brunt of it but I remember people hating the **** out of ewoks....I wonder if we had the net back then what would have happened.

Fettcrom likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't know who would have blown up the Internet first, the Ewok haters, the Han haters or the Luke/Leia shippers.

I still maintain that Lucas wouldn't have lasted this long if his skin were that thin.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Lucas makes movies to tell a story, he doesn't do them for money (well, he never used to) and he doesn't do them for critical praise.

He did Red Tails because he wanted to tell that story, he even funded it himself because no-one was willing to give it a try. Given Hollywood largely dislikes him for being a successful director who doesn't need them he's spent most of his life not being accepted. He's not in it for the awards and recognition, like Spielberg he enjoys doing it and enjoys entertaining.

25. Lando's Little Maneuver

Nov 26, 2012
    Kerrist, I'm not saying the guy is howling into his wheeties every morning, but you cannot seriously say that only a core group post criticisms of the prequels?
    They're pretty well much panned everywhere. Now if you pump 10 years of your life into something and it's poorly recieved, it's going to affect you. The first film you get over it, but when the whole PT falls flat, you can't deny that is going to dissapoint the hell out of you, I know it did me.
    I'm not saying it's the sole reason he handed it over, but that along with the grueling schedule required and his age, it would have been a factor.

Fettcrom likes this.