main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Edit: Damn Triple posting.:mad:

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You should get over Geno Smith. There are not any Peyton Mannings, Aaron Rodgers or even Elis or Rivers in this draft. There are a host of average college QBs who may or may not become serviceable pros (Smith/Barkley/Wilson/Murray/Jones etc).

s65horsey likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I think they'd take anything over Cassel and Quinn at this point. At least they can pretend they're trying to build something around a new quarterback, even if he ends up being like Ponder, Locker, or Gabbert.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm sorry Marcus, I know none of the guys in this draft are knock outs... but have you actually seen who the Chiefs QBs have been since Trent Green? Damon Huard, Tyler Thigpen, Tyler Palko, Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn.... dear God. I'm not at all expecting to get even Luck or RG3. Not at all. But the Chiefs haven't even tried to draft a QB in the first round since the early 90s, and that was Todd Blackledge, and he wound up sucking. So sure, we could get Smith and he could suck. But goddamit, I just want to see that our team understands you have to have a franchise QB in this league now and look like they are at least trying to get one.

Personally, I wanted to suck for Luck last year (or RG3, as I was partial to him). But we had to go and screw it up by putting Orton in. And of course, when he played much better than Cassel we got rid of him.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i have doubts the chiefs could have sucked enough considering the low bar that the colts set.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

The 2008 Detroit Lions would like to have word with you.

Grimby likes this.
  8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Yeah, you guys totally got the raw deal in the '83 draft picking Blackledge over Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and even Ken O'Brien. Probably the reason the Chiefs haven't drafted a QB in the first round since. I'm sure everyone thought Cassel was the answer after Denver wanted him so badly. (Well, McDaniels at least.) I still think it's funny you guys have both Brady Quinn and Peyton Hillis now.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Do you really want to be married to a QB pick from a middling class for the next couple years, though? Do you want to waste the value of a number one pick on a less-than-elite QB prospect? At the very minimum, that number one could be used to trade down a few spots, pick up some more picks, and still get Smith. And not have to pay him as much, either. Making a move just to make a move, value for the pick be damned, gets teams paying too much to Blaine Gabbert for however many years and being in a lousy position to pick a quarterback if a really good one does come out in the next two years. Smith should be taken where the team is getting value for him, not where it's overspending for the sake of flailing after a miracle. If, next year, some big talent comes out and you're begging the Chiefs to draft this guy in the first round too and there's no way they're giving up on Smith that quick, or worse yet, in three years you're paying Smith number-one-pick money to back up Mark Sanchez, don't say you weren't warned.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm still in shock that Pittsburgh won yesterday. I wonder how many times a time has had back-to-back games against Baltimore and Cleveland, went 1-and-1, and had the win come over Baltimore? :p

And ... Grimby ... the hilarity runs deeper than Quinn/Hillis. The Kansas City Briefs have a bunch of Browns retreads. So, really, no one should be surprised they are in contention for the #1 pick.

Darth McClain and Grimby like this.
  11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree with Havac I would trade down and if you still want Geno Smith he'll still be there are 4 or 5. This years QB class is mediocre at best. Lots of career future backups.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just remember --- Matt Ryan was a mediocre quarterback who was only getting hype because he was the best QB in a weak QB class.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Cough 0-16 Lions Cough only two teams in the history of the NFL have not won a game. The first was Tampa Bay was the first team two lose all there games and really lowerd the bar. The Lions lowered it even more then they did.

Oh by the way me calling the Ravens Steelers game may have been what did it for the Steelers.[face_waiting]

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Batch really deserved his win. He made a great block to set up that rushing TD

[​IMG]

Grimby and DarthIntegral like this.
  15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    1. i was talking about that particular season, in which the colts won two games i believe. so that's pretty damn close to that bar.

2. the bucs didn't win for 26 games, which is almost two full seasons so the 08 lions, while bad, can't even sniff it.

3. losing every game in a season is incredibly rare, probably why it's only happened twice, and honestly probably shouldn't be in the discussion for setting a bar low in a normal season because it's just so frelling insane.

so yes, the 08 lions could have something to say about it, the 76-77 bucs would laugh at them, but in the context of what i was talking about anyone catching the colts last year in losing was exceedingly unlikely. because it wasn't one of those rare, bizarre seasons when someone does the impossible and just doesn't win.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I feel bad for Jamal Charles. His wife was Kassandra Perkins cousin and they introduced her to Belcher.

17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Well that sucked.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good point. I wish there was a Ryan for every Jimmy Clausen or Akili Smith, but he certainly worked out for Atlanta.

My take: With Peyton Manning tearing up our division for the next few years, even if we could fix all of our problems in one year (impossible), we still have a 2-3 year roadblock, it looks like. Trade down, target Murray, Barkley, whoever. Hit free agency, and sign a serviceable veteran who can mentor and still give us a shot at 7-8 wins next year- Hasselbeck, Orton, Matt Moore. None are huge upgrades over Brady Quinn, but all three can do a better job keeping 8 guys out of the box to free up Charles, and they won't crush us financially in the way Cassel would.

Assuming he is let go and does not land somewhere as a HC, a strong push could be made for Norv Turner to come run the offense and develop our draft pick for a year. New coach, new front office, largely new team may buy some time for growing pains, as long as there is a clear path towards getting better, which doesn't exist right now. Might work.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This was more my point. There is no point getting angsty over winning a game and possibly losing the #1 pick when there are several equally-rated QBs available at any pick in the top 10.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I swear if our stupid defensive lineman costs us this game with that horsecollar.... :mad:

[face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting]

^:)^[face_clown][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_party]

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And I understand the point, but at the same time, I don't want Matt Barkley. IMHO, USC QBs are frauds. The rest of their team is usually so good that it makes them look much better. Also, I don't really want anyone who's a product of a Lane Kiffin. Blech. I don't know, it's hard not to be biased because, in spite of getting in there for both undergrad and grad, I hate USC. Could never bring myself to go there.

22. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
  23. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    that won't come back to bite them at all. sanchez is like grossman, with fewer good games.

25. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    AND on the day Jovan Belcher killed himself at the practice facility, a Browns employee did the same.

There's some major Kreia/The Exile Force-bonding going on between these franchises.