main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I read that earlier today. Sickening right?

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I find it more interesting than sickening. And it's a nice response to the idea that some owners and teams spend because they want to win, rather than because they can only spend so much.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    The Stro's and Padres are gonna be some big players by the looks of it.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  5. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Their deal could have some serious repercussions on how future deals are done by teams if the secret BS stuff and the supposed 84 million cap for revenue sharing holds up. I wouldn't be shocked if there is a law suit or some major contraction in 10 years. No way teams like the Brewers, Cards and Pirates can compete unless there are some changes to the system. Maybe extra draft picks or something to even the playing field for small markets? (even then I don't think it would work)

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Evidently he got missed the 2010 vote by just one. He'll apparenltly be eligible for the 2013 ballot.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I'd imagine so as well, and I would want thinks to be worked to better improve revenue sharing. But after the McCourt fiasco, seeing the Dodgers on the verge of a positive/stable financial move is great.

8. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    He doesn't deserve to be in. Baseball would be in a much better place if he was never hired by the MLBPA.

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    The Cardinals have been in the NLCS seven times since 2000 with two World Series wins. The Brewers have been good each of the last six seasons and made the playoffs twice. I don't disagree that local TV revenue is going to change things, but people are always saying teams won't be able to compete, but they always find a way. And you mentioned yourself the deals the Padres and Astros signed. Why can't anyone else when their deals expire?

And I don't think contraction will ever happen. There are too many issues associated with it. The players union, local governments, local TV, team ownership would all need pretty major compensation, it just wouldn't work.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I suppose you feel sports as a whole would be better if he hadn't existed huh Rox? considering he did lay the groundwork for free agency and everything.

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Not that he didn't exist you're putting words in my mouth.

I am of the opinion that he turned the MLBPA into the worst union in the United States and ruined the balance of baseball. Even a worse union than the Steelworkers union and that's saying a lot. Free agency is a good thing for sports but the salaries that Miller set the ground work for completely ruins a lot of aspects of major league baseball. Baseball is and was one of the things I love most in the world too.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    ESPN is reporting that Brian Wilson is offically a Free Agent.

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah it was a no brainer on that one for a non-tender candidate. I wouldn't be shocked if he landed back on the Giants with a low contract and a bunch of incentives. Maybe even the Dodgers too since he lives in LA.

14. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Red Sox are supposedly interested.

15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    This is one of my favorite times of year for baseball. The Winter Meetings. Lot's of trades and big signings happen.

16. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Indeed.

Napoli to the Red Sox.
    Pagan resigns with the Giants.
    Soria to the Rangers.
    And A-Rod is out for a good portion of the year.

Amazing.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    and Brad Lidge retiring according to ESPN last night.

18. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    And John Kruk is replacing Terry Francona on Sunday Night Baseball. I... I think I miss Joe Morgan.

Amazing.

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
  20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Though I do like Shulman & Hershiser (DUH :p ), I actually do miss Jon Miller. He's my 2nd favorite play-by-play man in baseball after you know who.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well it's not like they had much of a choice in replacing Francona, what with him taking another managing job and all.

22. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I thought Francona was boring as hell anyway. Kruk has personality at least.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/...s-angeles-dodgers-hyun-jin-ryu-agree-contract

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/...-angeles-dodgers-closing-signing-zack-greinke

:D

Though it's very possible that Greinke may end up in Barry Zitoish territory (toward the middle/end of his contract), I very much approve of this deal & the one that notched the Korean pitcher. Starting pitching was a top concern for the Bums during this off season, and I'm extremely pleased at the prospects of a very good-to great rotation for next season.

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    They have like what 9 mid to top tier pitchers now? Trade Capuano and Harang to the Pirates for a bag of balls and a fungo bat.

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'd feel sad that KC is losing Soria, but I like him and I want him to have a chance to win. Same reason I wasn't all that sad when Greinke left.

Speaking of Greinke, just read about that Dodgers deal. Wow. I hadn't realized the implications of the Dodgers' situation. This is going to be... very interesting. I wonder if they'll learn to spend that money wisely as the Yankees often have.