main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I like that Herbstreit argues that the BCS bowls "matter" when we all know that they, in fact, don't. They give schools more money and they get more hype, but we all know at this point only one game matters.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    All the sports media will feel it matters. THough to be honest they should make the Rose Bowl as the game that the champinoship is played. It is after all the oldest bowl game in all of football.

But hey is there really anything wrong with the GoDaddy.com Bowl? :p

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The thing is .. the BCS Bowls do matter.

Not that winning them means anything. But playing in them ... that means something. It means something for budgets. It means something (a lot) for recruiting. It means something for prestige.

Would Boise State be who Boise State is without the BCS? Nope. Not a chance.

yankee8255 likes this.
  5. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Ok but out side of that do they really need some of the bowl games that they have?

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    No, of course not. We don't need the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, the BBVA Compass Bowl, or a whole host of others.

I'd love to go back to a world where making a Bowl Game means something. I'd love to be back in a world where a 6-6 Ohio State team last year didn't get to go to the Gator Bowl. I'd love to go back to a world where the 6-7 Georgia Tech Yellowjackets don't get to go Bowling.

But, then again, I still call it the "Citrus Bowl" and the "Peach Bowl", and I'd like to go back to that world, too.

7. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Same here but how can you hate on the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl man. [face_rofl]Yeah it's about as good as the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl is. [face_plain]

8. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I find the media's pointed angst over #15 (BCS) NIU slightly funny considering that they've made no mention over a currently still un-ranked Wisconsin team playing in the Rose Bowl. :p

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Of course not, they play in the Big Something.

10. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    The Big Something +4.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    We need to make these schools stop cheating and doing other random bad things. Then we would have Ohio St vs Notre Dame in the championship game, with the SEC sitting in the corner and sulking.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    As much I wouldl ove to see Manti get the award,

1. there's not a chance in hell it's ever going to a defensive player ever again, and

2. not Manti's fault, but ND should be punished for using Bon Jovi in the HeIsManti video. Ultimate fail.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I assume the Poulan(sp?) Weed Eater Bowl has been renamed?

That there is a wide gap in the quality of the Bowls is nothing new. The former "New Year's Bowls were almost always several notches better than the rest, with exception of maybe the Gator and Citrus Bowls, which sometimes had good conference runners-up who were better than the champions of some conferences that had New Year's bowl affiliations.

I really have no problem with Wisconsin. The Big 10 went with a championship game, which don't particularly like,a s it cheapens the value of the regular season (I don't want a playoff of more than 4 teams for the same reason), but that's the rule, and so they're in. But how the hell did NIU get anywhere near BCS range? Have they beaten anyone remotely close to the Top 25 in any poll?

15. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Kent State, ironically, in the MAC championship game. But somehow they seem to think that Oklahoma should be in that spot and are the ones who were snubbed here.

yankee8255 likes this.
  16. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
  17. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    My mom just texted this to me. That is bizarre!

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

18. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good hires for Auburn and Arkansas. I hope the Vols can land Strong, I'm leaning towards the inclination that Mike Gundy was never a real candidate, and was only looking for a contract after a so-so year.

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Wow. Definitely didn't see the Bielema move coming.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    "We at the Big Ten don't want to be like the SEC -- in any way, shape or form." - Bret Bielema

Shocking hire. Just shocking.

22. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I guess I can see them mattering to non-AQ teams. But everyone else? I don't think Georgia is going to suffer too much playing in the Capital One Bowl or Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. If they matter to anyone, it's the fans who want exciting matchups with prestigious schools, i.e. the things we don't get all that often in non-conference play.

So, maybe this year Northern Illinois isn't the quality of team we'd expect in a BCS bowl. So what? How many times have the Big East or ACC sent a mediocre team to the BCS? Besides, it's the system everyone had accepted. Northern Illinois got into the top 16. They were ahead of two conference champions. If anything, I actually wish Boise State had been the team that made it this year, even if they're not at the level they once were. At least they lost to a better Big Ten team. But a second loss tends to kill the non-AQs, doesn't it?

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It just seems like a dumb move for Bielema. He had great job security here, a program that was doing well, limited competition but the opportunity to get a good shot at the Rose Bowl every year . . . and he jumps to the conference of astronomic fan entitlement and expectations so he can pull in a little more money and get canned in three years for losing three games in a season against the top programs in the country? If he were a big name who could count on his reputation always finding him a place to land, or some elite talent who knew he had what it takes to win consistently in the SEC, it would make more sense, but I don't think he's really at that level.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Barry Alvarez is going to coach Wisky in the Rose Bowl.

ma_petite likes this.
  25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    No surprises there.

Some Pitt people are really freaked out about the possibility of Chryst going to Wisconsin and having their 4th coach in four years. It's actually kinda funny. Not as funny as their third trip to the Compass Bowl in a row, but it's up there.