main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jedi Abililities in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Obi-Wong, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but what sort of things would you like to see jedi do, sure they can use their lightsabers, which is always cool, but I want to see more, here are my picks:

- Levitate and throw things more. This is the one thing I thought was missing in the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin on ROTS, of course it probably would have look repetitive, as Yoda and Palpatine were doing that on their duel; but I would have love to have seen this in the Obi/Anakin fight; can you imagine them throwing lava at each other. I would like to see jedi levitate some water, and throw it, like they did on the Avatar cartoon series. That series is a good example of what I would like to see Jedi do, as far as levitation, and throwing things.

- Choking, yes I know this is something more suited for dark siders, but, Luke did use this ability upon entering Jabba's palace. :)

- Mind control, last time I remember someone using this ability, was Obi-Wan, at the night club on Coruscant, in Attack of the Clones.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Force Grenades and Aerial Force Blasts

Sitara likes this.
  3. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I think they did way too much of this as it was. It cheapened the effect it had in the duel scene in Empire & it made a cartoon out of the Force. I think it was a massive error & it was one thing that removed me from the story.

TheMasterOfSoresu and KevinM1 like this.
  4. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    Empire had my favorite duel of the OT.

5. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Mine too. When Vader was ripping things from the wall & throwing them at Luke, it had a huge impact. The audience was amazed at how powerful he was, even compared to Yoda (remember how much concentration it took for him to raise the ship out of the swamp?). Then the prequels come along & make everyone capable of doing that with barely a thought. It cheapened that ability. Less is more, y'know?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It depends. If the Force has now indeed brought back into balance (that is, if they won't retcon that), then we should see greater Jedi powers than we've seen in the saga so far, because the unbalance diminished the Jedi's ability to use the Force.

7. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Yeah, The Force really needs to be grounded more. All the flippy-do stuff they did in the PT was ridiculous. Fights mean more if we can at least identify with the combatants on a physical level.

8. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Perfectly stated.

I've posted this before, so forgive me, but the prequels really took a big crap on that scene with Yoda & the X-wing in the swamp. That was an epic, eye opening sequence, complete with a sweeping score, and at the end of it Luke 's breath was literally taken away. He was amazed, as we were as an audience. But Yoda's accomplishment took time & a great deal of concentration. He doesn't just wave his hand & give it a second or two of thought. Huge difference from Christopher Lee ripping massive pieces of equipment off the wall with barely a thought or the Emperor throwing the seats in the senate like they're snowballs.

DancingBobcat and KevinM1 like this.
  9. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
  10. KevinM1

Nov 15, 2012
    Yup. The best PT interpretation of The Force is in TPM. There's some leaping and small scale telekinesis, and that's about it. Nothing beyond what we saw in ESB. Not coincidentally, the saber duels are also by far the best in that movie out of the rest of the PT. Best shot, best choreographed, best in terms of narration. Less is more in these instances.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'll take more is more when I'm watching space fantasy. Theatrical awe is how I'd describe the ROTS duel with its epically stylized action set to such a powerful score.

Sitara likes this.
  12. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I wasn't in awe. By the end of that duel I was bored. Familiarity breeds contempt. There's such a thing as going too far.

TheMasterOfSoresu and KevinM1 like this.
  13. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    I didn't say you were in awe, I said I was.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I didn't say you said I was...............

15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seriously though, I'm confused as to how some people managed to not understand certain aspects of the story.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Such as?

17. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    I thought you might have misread given the manner you immediately restated what you just said a few posts up about disliking the style of the PT.

18. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    The dark side clouding everything, the increasing presence of the dark side diminishing the Jedi's ability to use the Force, and then the extermination of the Jedi and Anakin joining the Sith "leaving the Force in darkness."

19. KevinM1

Nov 15, 2012
    The following .gif expresses my feelings on the PT's lightsaber duels (and, by extension, its treatment of The Force):

[​IMG]

A whole bunch of unneeded flash over substance.

20. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    No no. Just summing things up/ inviting you to do the same.

21. KevinM1

Nov 15, 2012
    The problem is that we're never shown any of that. We have Yoda proclaiming that it's impossible to see the future, but we never see the Jedi struggle to use The Force. From a storytelling POV, that's a problem.

22. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Sigh. Of course you're shown that. IIRC you yourself were one of the people on this very thread complaining that the Jedi's ability to use the Force is different between trilogies.

23. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    In conclusion, I like the ROTS duel. I like flash in adventure films, like in The Princess Bride, where Wesley does a super gymnastics triple flip even though it wasn't exactly necessary to win the duel.

-NaTaLie- and DarthBoba like this.
  24. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Such a thing in any remotely realistic fight would end in death or severe maiming anyway!

25. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Forgive me for pointing out the comedic nature of Princess Bride. The duel scenes are completely different in tone to those in Star Wars. A Jedi vs Sith duel isn't supposed to be laughing at itself. At least, I don't think it is.....