main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I did?

Well, in hindishgt I guess it was a silly complaint. Perhaps carryiong out the vendetta against the Borgias (all of them) in one game would've been too much. The end result wasn't dissapointing at least.

2. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    You also complained about Mass Effect 1 being a KotOR rip-off :p

3. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

:eek:

Well, it is!

But I dare ya to PPOR! :p

Valyn likes this.
  4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Ok, seriously. I've been playing the naval mission "The Chase" for almost an hour now and I can't fracking destroy that goddamn fort. WTH. This is starting to really infuriate me, because I also don't know how to just abandon the mission. This is absurd. Cannons won't hit anything but the cliffside, and those damn fort towers destroy me almost instantly. Frack this crap.

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So after finishing that brutal mission, I've come upon a few other gripes. The quick time events suck. Combat leaves a lot to be desired despite its attempts at emulating the Batman Arkham combat system. And foremost...is it ever made clear how to create steady income from the homestead? I have settlers, but I have no idea how to upgrade them or learn "recipes."

I sorta miss my old Assassins Creed gameplay

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I rest my case. :p

Seems like 2012 wasn't a good year for many a popular franchise's threequel.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Recipes are found in the treasure chests. Income comes by sending convoys -- basically all you have to do is buy beaver and bear pelts in the stockpile, and resell them to the highest-paying general store. That's the easy-money approach. Upgrading the settlers comes by doing their homestead missions.

8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Stupid question, but have you fully upgraded the ship yet? If not, I can offer you no help.:p

9. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, he said he finished it already. But the trick to that mission is to make sure that you're getting in close enough to hit the cannons and you don't have the waves getting in the way of your cannons, and to just keep sailing in a circle. You get the red indicator of where the cannons are going to fire, so it's just a matter of sailing across their firing line, firing a broadside, turning hard before you get into the red zone, since the cannons are leading you based on your current direction, brace for good measure, keep turning until you can fire another broadside, keep turning to avoid the next barrage, and keep going in a loop like that. It takes a lot of shots, but it's not too hard to beat the cannon AI since they're stuck having to lead you and you're too maneuverable to get caught if you do it right.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Lock picking treasure chests has become another pain.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, I missed that part...
    Didn't bother ready the next post.[face_blush]

I had no issues with taking out the fort. I did the same, I sailed in circles and reduced it to rubble rather quickly. I only had one naval mission (at the end) that was really tough to complete (meaning it took multiple tries) and that was with a fully upgraded vessel, so I can't imagine trying to finish without all the extra bells and whistles. I actually liked the sailing, it got a little boring in the middle of them all, but the tougher missions made up for it at the end... No replay value for me, but I liked the change of pace they provided.

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Lock picking sucks so horribly

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I saw a video about that. Looks convoluted as hell.

I mean, what the hell is wrong with Ubisoft? Bethesda perfected the lockpicking minigame with Fallout and Skyrim. Couldn't they have simply "borrowed" Bethesda's style when implementing a stupid lockpicking minigame that wasn't there when Ezio was looting Italy/Turkey blind!

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Um the lockpicking is almost exactly the same mechanic as lockpicking in Skyrim but with 2 picks (as you would actually do it.) I didn't find it complicated at all (except when my finger slipped off the 2nd stick because of the angle.)

Gamers these days.

'OMG I don't understand how to do something it must be crap'! 'I didn't finish this first time, omg it's too difficult'.

This was undeniably a very good game, and having played AC2 directly after it in order to get a platinum trophy is is superior in every way imaginable except for story, though YMMV on that one (fistfight with the pope? lolwtf.)

15. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm getting better at all those awful scenarios I previously described, and I'm having a good time with the game atm. But the learning curve is fairly steep.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Oh and Haytham Kenway is a bad ass.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    This.

And Washington was a bocce playing, dolt.

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Playing bocce ball with Washington was the highlight of not only the game, but the entire history of gaming.

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So apparently I'm now in the top 10% worldwide for most income earned from convoys, successful hunts, most ships sunk, and enemies killed (or something like that). Huh

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Seems your patience has paid off. Or was it the thread's guidance?:p

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    This thread wasn't very helpful. It was mostly full of Marcus bragging about what a lockpicking pro he is despite the majority of players seeming to have a problem with it (and various other situations in this game). Hey, btw, just because you're able to do something so effortlessly doesn't mean that the task in question isn't poorly designed. The lockpicking is very poorly designed, and the majority of reviews, forums, and casual gamers I've spoken to have echoed my earlier mentioned gripes concerning this and the frustrations endured during the "Chase" mission.

That said, I've not had a serious problem with lock picking or naval battles since...mostly due to visiting various gamer forums and watching various Youtube videos for strategies. The game itself never accurately conveys how to do anything effectively, and that has proven to be a huge source of frustration to many a gamer (myself included). I am now doing very well in the game, yes, but only after studying the aforementioned sources. This should not be the case. I shouldn't have to consult videos and forums in order to know how to peform a simple function. The game should explain how to pick a lock. The instructions to "rotate L and R sticks" are not only misleading, they're wrong. You actually need to basically "click" the L and R sticks into every single position until you hit the magic angle. It is NOT a fluid rotating motion.

Also, convoys and crafting and recipes are similarly never effectively explained. A gamer must either guess on how to launch a fruitful convoy, or (as I did), consult a gaming forum for strategies. My convoys were pitiful until I read that animal pelts are the most profitable things and that I shouldn't even bother upgrading my homestead because nothing else is even worth my time when I can just go around killing racoons and making a fortune. Thanks to racoons, rabbits, deer (etc), my ship is now fully upgraded.

Anyway, while this game has much going for it (naval battles are a delightful breeze of fresh air from the stagnant frontier wandering), it also seems to be going nowhere. It's slightly confusing to me that the Patriot army is also notified on the map with red markers. So, basically all white men are baddies, eh? Then what's even the point of taking the forts from British control? Oh, right, to lower the taxes on my convoys...

Adding to that, none of the missions have seemed to carry any weight to them thus far (I'm a few missions after the Boston Tea Party event; I think I just recently traveled with Revere to warn everyone that the British are coming). I'm going through the motions, but there doesn't seem to be much significant difference between a main mission and a side mission in regards to sense of urgency, story, and overall importance.

Maybe it's because Connor himself is so detached from everything. He's so calm and mild mannered. Where's the rage of that kid? Where's his passion to fight for his people? Connor started as an interesting character with an enthralling motive. But after he dons the Assassin robes the game skips ahead several years and he becomes a boring man who politely settles silly homestead issues.

He seems so much like Altair, and I think Altair is one of the reasons why AC1 didn't strike gold like its successor. Altair was arrogant whereas Connor is polite, yes, but both were cold and detached and neither can really make an audience care too much for them, imo.

Ezio was, imo, Ubisoft's counter to Altair. He was fun, he was witty, he was likeable and lovable and enjoyable. He had personality.

Going from Ezio to Connor is very disappointing. What's more disappointing is that Connor seemed to have such promise as a youth. As an adult, though, he's boring.

I think I would have preferred it if the game hadn't skipped all those years of Connor's growth. If Connor was still a young man consumed with fury and rage, I think the game would carry more feeling than it currently does with quiet, polite Connor casually helping the Patriots for reasons he doesn't really seem to even agree with.

To paraphrase the Game Informer review, "Ezio was a force of nature. Connor isn't."

The review goes on to praise Connor in other ways, but that one statement about Ezio rings with immense truth.

EDIT:

Btw, I think I'm in the top 10% of worldwide AC3 gamers mostly because 90% of AC3 gamers are still struggling to understand what the hell Ubisoft wants them to do in the game.

And just do you guys don't think I'm trying to bash anything that doesn't involve Ezio, I do really love this game's updated graphics. Everything looks beautiful. And the music is almost on par with Brotherhood's (my favorite AC score). The maneuvering through and over trees is fantastic, the twist at the start is also very well done.

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
  23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Ezio>Haytham>Altair>Connor.

Darth_Invidious, JackG and H-BOMB like this.
  24. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    ^ I agree

I would have preferred the whole game to be centered around Haytham as the ancestor honestly. Much more interesting in terms of personality. And how did he get that assassin blade?

And I don't know if I'm the only one, but throughout the whole game I ended up sympathizing with Haytham and the Templars' mission more than Connor's goals. Their justification for their actions just seemed much more convincing than Connor's "No, ALL MUST BE FREE!" argument. This is supposed to be Assassin's Creed and yet I don't want to help the Assassin's. I don't even know what they're trying to accomplish! Where's the rest of the order during this time period? You'd think the Assassin's over in Europe or wherever would be concerned about what's going on in the Colonies and send some peeps. Everything was so disconnected in this sequel, there was no good continuity flow between memories, it seemed like Connor's life was described in cliff-notes form. I appreciate freedom in choosing which missions to do when but when it detracts too much from the game's narrative and flow of events it shouldn't be done.

Anyway, I guess I've been converted to Templarism.

Valyn likes this.
  25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So, how the heck do I change into clothes that I bought at a store? The clothes aren't in the manor basement, and when I go to the store, it won't let me equip something I had previously purchased. WTH.