main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jedi Abililities in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Obi-Wong, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I don't think this is a matter of not appreciating how the Force is handled in the prequels due to a musunderstanding of the story.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I wouldn't say completely different, given we're still talking lighter-hearted swashbuckling either way, regardless if one emphasizes drama and the other tongue-in cheek. Either way I think flash can suit either, whether it's over-the-top gymnastics flips or intense laser sword posturing.

Now if we're talking something like an action scene out of Milch series or a Cronenberg crime film, I would agree that less is more.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The evidence points to the contrary.

4. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    That's a good point. Some aspects will be more or less appreciated depending on how seriously the viewer is taking things.

5. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Hardly. If someone doesn't like a Transformers cartoon, or a Saw flick, or Quentin Tarantino's stuff, it's not because the story or aspects of it are over his or her head.

6. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    Look I agree that sometimes less is more, making duels seem more personal; but sometimes you need to have variety, otherwise you have a similar duel over and over again, and that repetition leads to boredom, and boredom leads to people being taken out of the movie experience; today's audiences are looking for a little more excitement along with the drama from their movie experiences. Anybody can pick up a sword, swing it around, and try to fight to a certain degree of success; but to me is the combination of sword fighting styles along with all the other abilities is what make a jedi special. I am not saying the Star Wars movies need to become comic book movies, but occasionally, when it helps the story (and duels) move forward in new, fresh, and exciting ways. I'm all for the jedi to display more those abilities that make them special.

As far as Yoda seemingly lifting the X-Wing with some effort, remember he was already very old and sick, very close to his death.

Sitara and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    To be fair Sith Lords gnerally have more powerful Force ability than Jedi. They just use it irresponsibly and that is why they fail.
    Sith do outrageous stuff like shoot lightning which Jedi don't do, hurling massive objects is far more useful to them than it is to Jedi.

And had Luke been more competant with the Froce, he might have hurled Vader's stuff back forcing him to throw larger objects.

I agree the power levels in the OT are somewhat diminished compared to the PT, but that was always likely given the filiming technology gap

Mystery_Roach and Sitara like this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    We're not talking about not enjoying the story, we're talking about not understanding it. Two different things.

9. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Maybe you should explain the relevance of your point then, because we were expressing that we didn't like how the Force was portrayed in the PT.

10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    No, above and beyond "expressing that we didn't like how the Force was portrayed in the PT," you were more importantly expressing a misunderstanding of the ongoing narrative. Here's your first post in this very thread:

And so on. I can quote the rest of you guys' posts of course, but obviously I doubt that you forgot what you posted, and even if so you can re-read your posts yourself.

11. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I was just thinking the same thing about your list of PT grievances. ;) No mas!

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  12. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Again, that's not a misunderstanding. The explanation for it isn't lost on me; it's beside the point. The decision to portray the Force & how it is used in the PT was a misstep. The Force is less interesting & less exciting in Episodes I to III.

13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    From your posts it is quite clear that it is a misunderstanding—as evidenced yet again by your use of the word "misstep"—but obviously you are free to engage in any and all the self-justification that you like, of course.

14. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Uh huh. You do know the Force isn't real, right? Lucas could, you know, like do anything he wanted to with it, and the "misstep" was.................oh forget it.

15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    [face_laugh] As I said, you're free to engage in any and all the self-justification that you like!

16. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
  17. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    So anyway, I hear there's a sequel trilogy coming...

18. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    I think hovering is an impressive effect in a movie, not lifting objects, but your self. I don't mean leaping either (far or fast), but hovering in one spot or rising slowly out of a pit or something.

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

19. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    No sweat. Like a lot of things, you just need to wear a black turtleneck.

20. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The OT had old men, barely trained boys and a cyborg. It's obvious that the Jedi in their prime should be more powerful than Luke in TESB (or maybe even in ROTJ). And, as SithLordDarthRichie said, the Sith are even more powerful when it comes to confrontation than the Jedi. They might have gone a tad over the top at times and I think the Duel of the Fates is the best template in terms of choreography but I don't see how the duels in the PT contradict the OT in any way.

Luke and Vader duel is still frightening because Luke is outmatched. Yoda's lifting X-Wing is still impressive because we see it through Luke's eyes who didn't believe it was possible. Besides, Yoda never lifts or throws anything as big as an X-wing in the prequels.

Lord Tuvitor, Sitara and stormcloud8 like this.
  21. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    It also works in terms of the story though. Anakin's half machine and not as strong as he was before. Luke is never really a fully trained Jedi. The only fight that is probably lacking in "force abilities" is Vader vs Obi-wanin ANH.

22. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    For my part, I wasn't suggesting it was a contradiction. I was making a comparison & trying to illustrate the reasons why the OT's handling of the Force was more compelling to me than that of the PTs. I think if Lucas had kept things more subtle it would have maintained a lot of the Force's mystique instead of watering it down. Sure, the differences can be explained but I think the story would have been better served by not implementing them, at least not to that extent.

23. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The best part of the OT duels is that they're intensely personal. I don't see how disliking the PT takes it away/

24. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I guess I'm not doing a very good job of explaining this then. If something is very common, its value diminishes. I suppose you could say I feel as though the Force's value diminished as a result of how its portrayed in the prequels. If you have Episodes II & III in your mind while watching Empire, Vader & Yoda's respective scenes lose the edge they once had.

25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    *headdesk*