main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jedi Abililities in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Obi-Wong, Dec 4, 2012.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Interesting. I will agree that the telepathy rules are confusing and sketchy.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm okay with Jedi not using "Force Lightening" as it always seemed like a manifestation of rage to me. Absorbing/deflecting it I definitely think they should learn to do.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think Jedi or Sith should be able to read minds, strictly speaking, just sense thoughts with strong emotions behind them. Maybe the telepathic communication only works if there is a strong bond between the two. So, they still need communicators most of the time.

LawJedi and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    X-Ray vision.
    "I felt your presence. Mmmm dayum."

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That could also explain why the emperor doesn't sense Luke in ROTJ.

LawJedi likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Because Luke is shallow?

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Totally! :)

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hmmm do I dare ask what your thoughts are on Anakin?

9. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    It's not really telepathy. It's like Ben sensing all the voices in the Force crying out. Or when Yoda sensed the Jedi massacre. The Force carries these emotional imprints. The Emperor was pretty quick to sense Lord Vader was turning into Cajun Blackened Mahi Mahi.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "I sense Lord Vader is in danger, but first let's stop for some fish. All this evil business is making me hungry. Be sure not to leave a tip."

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I was just kidding about Luke. I only meant that the emperor couldn't sense him because there wasn't a strong bond between the two of them.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yup I got that. I was just going along with the joke.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And, Anakin? Total prima donna!

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He even sensed it before it happened. Amazing.

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    So then it was more of a vision I guess?

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    He sensed "Lord Vader is in danger," he didn't sense "Lord Vader is on fire."

17. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    While TPM did indeed have the best duels, keep in mind TPM also had Obi and Qui Gon flinging the battledroids around using the force with enough power to disable them with singular force pushes. And it was pretty cool. The OT did not have a single Force Push, if I recall correctly.

Also keep in mind that Yoda and Sidious fighting are two of the most powerful light and dark siders of all time. In my opinion their fight was NOT FLASHY ENOUGH. They should have done way, way more. Sure Sidious used Sith Lightning, but I wish he had done more, and shown us these many abilities considered unnatural the dark side can provide. Ok we know about Sith Lightning, and you already fried Mace with it. Now show us something else, something that only The Emperor can use to show us why he is the MASTER, just like when Sidious used Lightning in ROTJ we finally realized in dismay and awe just why Vader + Yoda + Obi Wan feared the Emperor so much.

Honestly, Yoda and Sidious should have been far beyond Lightsabers at their level. Or start out with sabers, then move on to the big guns, with Sidious using more and more insane Dark Side powers, and Yoda masterfully countering them all using the Lightside, showing us the true power of the Lightside and just why the Sith are so afraid of the Jedi and want them eliminated so then the rest of the Galaxy can be theirs.

I will get hate for this i suppose, but I will go ahead and say it: I think they should have shown Sidious destroying Coruscant using the Dark Side after defeating Yoda, and then screaming out his 'Power! Unlimited Power' line with presuit Vader standing nearby, with a closeup of Vader's horrified face. It would have made us understand what Vader meant when he said the power to destroy planets was insignificant compared to the power of the Force. It would also show the audience why the Sith always move against the Jedi first, for without the Jedi to protect them, the rest of the Galaxy stands no chance against the full power of the Dark Side.

So anyway, while that didn't happen i want the ST to have more cool powers. By all means, they don't have to be DragonballZ by any means, as that is an utterly silly and ridiculous show (no offence to fans, just my opinion), but cool uses of the Force that can be overt and subtle. Also, important, they have to show Sith/Dark Siders using these techniques with impunity on everyone else, but against Jedi they get effectively countered by the Lightside, forcing both parties to resort to their Lightsabers. Kinda like Yoda vs Tyrannus (and yes, that duel should never have happened. It should have been Tyrannus vs Mace, or some other Jedi Master. Yoda should only have fought Sidious)

18. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Absorbing Sith Lightning using his Lightsaber, which Obi Wan, who was not council level yet in AOTC did easily.

Deflecting Sith Lightning using his Lightsaber (Mace did this)

Reflecting/absorbing/deflecting Sith Lightning like Yoda did.

Using the Force to deflect thrown objects, aka when Vader was flinging stuff at him via the Force.

Heck, Luke could not even do a simple Force Push, much less a Force Push which pushed away a group of enemies and disabled them, like PADAWAN Obi Wan did in TPM against Battle Droids.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  19. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Funny how in the same thread we have complaints that the Jedi (and Sith) are both overpowered and not powerful enough.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I'm kind surprised that people think the jedi were too powerful in the PT, since Obi-wan couldn't even beat Jango Fett alone.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    The Jedi are clearly at disadvantage when dealing the Sith. Obi-Wan was lucky his opponents got too arrogant (plus, he was the one who taught Anakin so he knew what to expect). He lost to Dooku both times. Anakin beat Dooku because he tapped into the Dark Side (as I suspect Obi-Wan did vs. Maul). Yoda couldn't win both fights.

They're definitely not supermen. They can feel pain (kicking the metallic cyborg... not very smart, Obi-Wan), can be killed by blasters and always risk losing limbs. And only Yoda seems to be able to throw stuff around the way the Sith can do.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Exactly.

23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Just shows you that every fans wants something different.
    Also, I'll probably be hated for this, but I sure hope that we won't see something like ANH duel (the fighting, not the content). Modern audience is not going to forgive it.

24. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Part of it is because there is not alot of continuity with powers. Like pro-scoundrel said, Obi-wan barely survives jango (because they need to show how uber jango is) but yoda flilppity flys and chucks senate pods like candy in a christmas parade (which is to show how uber yoda and palpatine are)
    In my opinion though, if the only way you know how to show how awesome your character is, is to make them struggle with other characters that are supposed to be awesome, then you need to be writing for dragon ball z, not star wars.

but I digress...

I like the PT use of force powers (minus the yoda fights) and would be fine with some force power advancment. I would even be okay with some matrix/force unleashed level powers. (as long as thats not the only way we can tell that characters are powerful)

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    To me it's simple. If you can't use the force then you can't beat someone who can. At least, not without strong mitigating circumstances. And, I too like the Force Unleashed power levels. If you're going to tell us how powerful the force is then show us. Just my 2 cents.

Sitara and Arawn_Fenn like this.