main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Everybody and Yo Mama Wants to Be in Ep. VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I'd contort, too, what with the chopped off hand and staring into a black respirator mask who just said he was my father. But, yeah, we're not trying to win awards with any of these films. Harrison was always the most obvious better actor of the new faces. Alec was always better than Peter Cushing, who I love but was a scenery-chewer from day one.

I liked Hayden a lot and he showed improvement from AOTC to ROTS. Although, in reality, his character went from whiny selfish brat to arrogant brat.

I have *no idea* what was with Natalie Portman. For two films, she just seemed to be running through the dialogue and reciting it without any faith in the source material. Someone like Christopher Lee, as a consummate professional, can do this. Anyone remember the superhero musical he did, where he taunts the good guy ( a recovering alcoholic) with a bar of liquor and women...in song? Yes, it's a real film. And, yes, he pulls that **** off.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Erm, she worked in lots of non-Star Wars stuff before, after, and even during the series. I'm actually wondering where you got the "nearly killed her career" logic from, I'm actually quite interested in the source.

LawJedi likes this.
  3. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Portman went to Harvard not too long after it, so she focused on that.

But back on topic, Ewan is SO good in the Prequels. I know he hated the green screen stuff, but I am sure that he is chomping at the bit. His performance in Ep 3 was really great, so I almost wish I could see him again as that ObiWan in a less green-screenie movie. Sucks.

TreborSabreon and Valairy Scot like this.
  4. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I'm glad people facial expressions give you so much joy! Funny actually as the actors in the Pt's faces barely move at all over the course of 3 movies!

5. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Well from an interview with her in which she discloses that a producer friend of her's had to write a letter of support, re her role in Cold Mountain!

6. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Ah I see! Sorry but the EU does not interest me in the slightest!

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ludicrous.

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    They have their moments, just like the OT. As I see it, OT is not much better overall.

JainaSoloYJK and Veloz like this.
  9. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    The second Hayden said "Don't make me kill you" ended ROTS for me. There was a perfect opportunity to make Hayden become Vader for everyone and tie it back to the OT. "Don't make me destroy you". That simple...

Hayden/Lucas rant over.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You mean like how people network in every single job opening ever? Surefire sign of a career killer, got it.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    For me its when he screams Liar like a 12yr old before saying how he bought freedom to his new empire in a really girly voice its always funny.

Back on topic after having Darth Vader build C-3PO, Stormtroopers being clones of Boba Fett who because of a script age problem was bought back as Jango Fett, who also had a clone son called Boba Fett and oh yeah Chewbacca is good buddies with Yoda. Can people say having Ewan as a force ghost will be bad/convulted/contrived etc as the above ?

12. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    If Episode VII does indeed follow up on Luke's journey, then Force ghosts seem like a given to me. And regardless of Lucas's half-baked explanation for why Anakin was young again at the end of ROTJ, it actually wouldn't bother me one bit if all three of them suddenly appeared younger in the ST with no explanation whatsoever.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  13. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    It really is though. As the human's actually act human and not robotic. And The Space battle from ROTJ is still to be surpassed, the one in ROTS looks like a whack ass video game!

14. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Just passing on what she said!

15. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    But her best roles were after Ep III anyway. V for Vendetta, Black Swan, The Other Boleyn Girl, Darjeeling Limited, etc.

Hayden was the one who got torn asunder and never allowed to recover. He's no great thespian, but everytime he pops up in front of a camera, the Anakin jokes start. Look, I like Nat Portman as much as anyone else but her acting is *highly* inconsistent and can be amazing, wooden, manic, or understated.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I so agree one of the best examples is Vader himself. In the scene with him and Luke in RTJ you see him conflicted whether its the thoughtful voice telling Luke that Obi-wan once thought as he did (might need a prequel edit their ;) ) and that its to late for him. Then grabbing the railing looking like it took a lot out of him to looking back and forth between Luke and the Emperor and you can really feel the conflict. Basically 1 tall guy in a black mask and another guy doing the voice over yet it feels real.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Completely OT but I had a friend who was an extra on that film. She said that Portman was really nice and spent time chatting to cast and crew and generally was fun to work with, On the other hand she said Scarlett Johanson was a complete B@###. She refused to talk any of the crew and was not a nice person to be around, 1 time she took some gum out her mouth and demanded that somone hold it for her o_O

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I have absolutely no problem for an aged up Ewan McGregor to be in Episode VII for a force ghost of Obi-Wan, same with Hayden. He's the only other Obi-Wan I would accept in a Star Wars movie.

I mean, Alec Guiness is dead after all, same with Shaw.

Veloz likes this.
  19. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Veloz likes this.
  20. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Since the OT is getting the 3D treatment and rerelease in 2014,
    I have a simple idea how they could easily explain Ewan as a force ghost. they just have to edit the scene in which they already have put Hayden.
    I would start out with the classic shot of Alec and Yoda, then Shaw appears and then all three of them morph to their younger selves, heck you could even have Hayden and Ewan embrace ...

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ewan comes off as a really nice guy, and a fun person to work with. I hope he's involved in some way with the ST.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I can't decide if I like the morphing idea or not, but I have thought a bit about having them all appear younger in that scene. I'm sure a lot of people's brains would explode after all of Obi-Wan's previous appearances were as the older version though, so maybe you're on to something. One thing's for sure, if those characters return in the ST, none of them can still be old (except Yoda but they would probably use the existing CG model anyway) so they'd have to find some way to solve that problem.

23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    At the end of the day I have no problem with FG's "morphing". SW is a fantasy, meant to stimulate imagination; and it is limited by its medium, film. In a series of novels you can make everything rigorously uniform but if you're making a film or tv series, the sad fact is that people age, die, or move on with their careers, and re-casting becomes necessary. I don't want to see anyone else play the OT characters but having Ewan, who proved himself over three films as Obi Wan, come back for a beautiful scene with Luke - that'd be worth it.

TreborSabreon, Veloz and Valairy Scot like this.
  24. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    How about they do an interquel between PT and OT focusing on Obi Wan mostly on Taatoine, maybe has to run a quick mission to Alderaan. Could follow up the whole Qui Gon hints dropped at the end of 3? Ewan as the focal character.

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I guess when it comes down to it, my main concern with the morphing idea would be one of execution. I never had any problem with the idea of Hayden at the end of ROTJ, but I admit that it wasn't executed very well. An effect like morphing has the potential to end up looking much worse.