main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit LEGACY is back!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Volderon, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    regarding generations, i betcha anything there would be some sort of falling out later on in Ben and Jaina's life I could imagine Ben and Jaina's families drifting apart.

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the ship in the background looks similar to the Uhumele from Dark Times. Anybody else thought about that?

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Nat isn't ten years older than Kol. He maybe looks ten years older, but that's because we first see him nearly ten years after we last see Kol. Kol, when he dies, looks, at a guess, fifty. A good, healthy Star Wars fifty, which would mean he had Cade when he was about thirty-five, which works out. Nat, seen seven years later, looks like he's about sixty. He's fat and has gray hair and a weathered face, but he doesn't really look like a senior citizen, just a grizzled old biker-type who hasn't aged gracefully. So all that means is that he's about three years older than Kol. He could be as little as one year older, or as much as five or six, but he needn't be a decade older. And the bigger you want to make that gap, the younger you can make Kol, down to a minimum of forty-five or so. End result, if Ben has a kid at age twenty-five, which is still eight years or so off within the timeline, that kid has twenty-eight years (you can spot him another five years if you have to, but I tend to think that makes Kol just a bit too young for his appearance) to have two sons with a gap of about three or four years, so the youngest he really needs to have a kid is about twenty-four or twenty-five. It's younger than we usually see from our main characters, but frankly that's a good thing -- dragging out everybody's romantic lives and reproduction until they're forty is boring and unrealistic. The current state of the projected/implied timeline, in which the main Skywalker/Solo characters are having kids in their twenties and thirties, is way better than what we've gotten so far in the post-ROTJ setting (Legacy included), in which Leia and Jacen (plus Tenel Ka) are the only SkySoloFels to have children within the fairly standard twenty-five-to-thirty-five window, or for that matter, anywhere on the near side of thirty-five. Han, Luke, Mara, Roan, and Kol have all been post-35 parents (or in Kol and Roan's case, look to be as far as we can accurately tell), Jag will be, and Jaina only has one year until that window closes.

TheRedBlade and Ulicus like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the replies re: Ben, that could have been an interesting direction to take things.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The lightsaber is blue.

Roan? Jan once pegged him at being in his mid-fifties. Not canonical, sure, but a pretty fair estimate.

I always had Kol pegged at around forty or so, maybe forty-five, at the time of his death.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And don't forget the "bring Geonosis up on the monitor" button.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Yes, that exactly. I believe Denning's original pitch for Ben was that he wouldn't follow in his father's footsteps and would instead want to be more like Uncle Han, but that was nixed due to concerns over fan reaction? Someone else might have more detail...

ETA: Aaaaaaand ninja'd. Or, not ninja'd but that's what I get for replying before I get to the end of the post. ;)

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My Internet goes out for one day and this is what happens...

Am I mental that I consider this to be a bigger deal than the whole Disney thing? [face_laugh]

Zorrixor, Robimus and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  9. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    It may be just depicted as blue so it appeals to the masses.

10. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    It's possible that this series will be set during the years where the Fel Empire a Galactic Alliance are allies, yet still not without a few political tensions. Eventually leading up to to the Ossus Project and it's sabotage that is secretly orchestrated by the One Sith, ultimately provoking the Empire declare war against the Alliance, igniting the Sith Imperial War.

11. djemsostylist

djemsostylist Jedi Knight

Mar 8, 2012
    I would comment on previous posts, but as I am both a) lazy and b) unwilling to read that much atm)b/c I am lazy), I shall simply post my own comment.

Namely: oh em gee! Davin's kid? How ******* cool would that be? Pretty ******* cool that's how :)
    On the negative side, if its Allana's kid--blargk. There is no room for Allana in my headcanon. Also, no skunk stripe!--ewhich is interesting. I mean, did they only decide to start ritualistically paint it starting with Roan, or was this some heretofore unheard of genetic abnormality that took a couple of generations to work through? Also, and here is the big question really--where is the Zek clone? Have they introduced the concept yet? Antares could not possibly have been the first model? ALSO, those bangs are not killin me really, but I like her little outfit thingy. Also and finally, that dude is the background is totes a Fel yo. Just look at that beard and that chin. Totally Davin guys, totally.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    While I am excited about the return of Legacy no matter what, I do hope that the series is set after the War miniseries. It would be awesome to see galaxy recover from the war against the Sith and put itself back together. Seeing at through the eyes of a young female descendant of the Solo's who happens to be bit of a scoundrel would be wicked awesome.

--Adm. Nick

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Sia's lightsaber was blue; we have precedent for some variation, and it may just be a cover color anyway.

But as for Roan and Kol, I'd accept that Roan is somewhere from 55-60, approximately, in Legacy. But they also said that Sia was approximately eighteen, which means that Roan had her at thirty-seven, at the earliest. Now, it's possible that Roan is technically fifty-two in Broken and he lands just on the right side, but I think the odds are the best that he's a little older than that. As for Kol, if you look at the images of him, as with Roan, the more detailed the art, the more rugged he tends to look. If you go to his Wook page and look at the image of him as a Force ghost, or the Issue 0 sketch of him with Cade, I can't really buy that guy as under forty-five, especially not in the gracefully-aging-Jedi Star Wars context. I would feel pretty safe pegging him at about fifty. Now, if he comes down from there, he gets under the thirty-five limitation (and becomes the only SkySoloFel so far to have kids in his early thirties -- Jacen and Leia were both in their late twenties), but for the purpose of rough guesstimation, fifty works, and he certainly doesn't add to the paltry count of characters established to be having kids in the 25-35 window.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hav, I'm generally on your side here, but I will say one thing - even now, IRL, more and more people are having children in their thirties and into their forties. Completely leaving aside the math argument, it's actually very, very easy to see the typical GFFA human, with a lifespan well over 100, not even thinking about kids until 40-50. I'm not saying that's my preferred Skysolo scenario, but I don't think it's quite that easy to assume that 25-30 is the typical reproduction age.

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Typical here, and we haven't really seen any signs that Star Wars has drifted significantly away from that norm -- their window is maybe five years longer, but having children in their forties doesn't seem to be something that happens frequently. But the argument has an OOU component, too -- we don't need twenty years of romance storylines before someone settles down, a la Luke and his billion love interests of the week, or the endlessly delayed courtship circus of Jaina and Jag. There would be some interest in seeing a couple be married seven years before they started having kids, or whatever, but that doesn't mean the childrearing has to be pushed back into their forties. Moreover, I think there's a storytelling argument for it -- there's something interesting in seeing young people, still in the process of fully maturing, having a child and taking responsibility and becoming full adults, gaining wisdom. Parenthood in their twenties can be part of a character's arc, it can do something for the character. It can even be exciting and have a kind of energy to it -- look at Ben, a father now! All grown up! You don't really get any of that from making a wise fortysomething Jedi Master Luke a new parent. You get to see him in the new situation of parenthood, yeah, but it doesn't really do anything to advance the character. He's already wise, he's already in a position of authority, and at this point he's just doing what we expect of him. Not everybody needs to be having a child at twenty-seven, but I think there's a significant argument that your average is better off closer to that than to forty-three, and it's certainly worth shaking up what's become a pretty predictable and uninteresting tendency to stack reproduction on the far back end of the spectrum.

Valin__Kenobi and Ulicus like this.
  16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Agreed. That's why if this is indeed set post-Legacy, we need some pink Skywalkers, stat.

I also love that Dave Wilkins's cover is a Bondesque Agent of the Empire-style cover. Wonderful stuff. Six of those in the first arc would be a great way to showcase three or four new characters every issue a la Broken.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pink Skywalker you say?

[​IMG]

18. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I just saw the announcement.

This is funny in so many ways.

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the less I think this is Allana's daughter.

I believe the most likely scenario is that the man pictured on the cover is Fel II (son of Jaina and Jag), with the blaster-wielding girl being his daughter, Roan's sister. In which case, this new comic series would be a prequel to Legacy.

Hopefully we do find out some more about Hapes and Allana's legacy/progeny in this one, though!

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so this would make this what 30 or so years before Legacy starts in 130ABY?

21. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Can I just say again how happy I am that they picked a female lead this time? Way back when they first announced Legacy, I remember having been rather irritated that they decided to make "the last Skywalker" a male, and not in the least because that just reinforces the stereotypical "only male descendants can carry on the family name/legacy" thing... (Well okay, maybe they have a point with the family name, since the children in the GFFA too seem to get their family names from the father's side more often than not.) Plus, John and Jan missed the golden opportunity to name their protagonist "Jade Skywalker." [face_laugh] They wouldn't even have to have changed the setting or the characters all that much to facilitate the inclusion of a female lead IMO – she could still have smooched with Deliah Blue and Darth Talon all she wanted as far as I'm concerned. I say it's time we have openly gay female characters too in SW – why should the Mandos have the only claim to sexual diversity? ;)

Seriously though, I suspect the overwhelming majority of male protagonists in SW is because most of the fanbase is male (I don't have any statistics to back that up, but let's just call it an educated guess), and it's easier for guys to relate to other guys. Or is it? How is it with you, fellow guy Lit people? I've seen a few comments made by male SW fans over the years about how products such as Knight Errant don't really interest them because they cannot relate to a female protagonist. That is a bit sad in my opinion... Funnily enough, I don't remember seeing women complaining about how they cannot relate to characters simply because they happen to be of a different gender than yourself.
    No sir, you are not. :D

22. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Great news, this. Totally out of left field, like JJM's Kenobi earlier, and even more exciting.

Funny how my predictions/hopes for this have changed since I started reading this thread. At first I took it as a sign that DH somehow knew that the ST wouldn't invalidate Legacy -- then after Randy's clarification I figured it had to be a sequel and that they'd try and end the EU with a bang -- then all the geek maths plus the info that it's an ongoing tipped the scales in favor of a prequel -- and now I'm hoping for this to help "finish" the old EU (which I believe has a lifespan of less than 3 years now) by closing up the gap between FotJ and the original Legacy.

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit this interpretation is that mention of a huge lightsaber battle at the beginning of the series -- unless it's a flashback or something, I don't know what to make of it. The Lost Tribe should be long finished at this point (during SotJ at the latest); the One Sith would not yet have emerged at any realistic point for this to be set; and I don't really want to see another huge Jedi-vs-whatever-other-Sith-or-pseudo-Sith conflict squeezed into the intervening years.

Whatever, though; I'm sure this is gonna be great. Totally buying this one.

23. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe this will cover the formation of the Imperial Knights which is something I would flip for.

I never gave this any thought until I read cthugha's post but maybe it will be the tie-up of the current Expanded Universe, but if current continuity does end before the ST I am super happy they are attempting to fill in the gaps.

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

Jeff_Ferguson and Zorrixor like this.
  25. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    That would be fine by me, anything would be fine really, the era is just so rich with opportunity.