main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jedi Temple and the Senate in Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Dec 2, 2012.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The same as any insurgent movement. Illegally bought and stolen weapons.

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Um. They're Rebels. And they're being hunted down by Sith lords and having their planets blown up...for ... having the gall to say No to the Empire. I'm thinking it was probably because they had guns too and the will to over throw the Empire had something to do with it too.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Which could have spread like wildfire once Palpatine died.

4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Good point, but wouldn't you say that the Death Star was a big part of that plan to maintain order?

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Uh...yeah. Still, Palpatine's not a guy who has a sense of fair play. To him, Death Star vs. slingshots isn't good enough.

6. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    He's also all about incremental power gains. He didn't completely dissolve the Senate until he was convinced that he had The Final Solution. That implies that, until that moment, he still valued public perception via the Senate.

More than anything, this conversation makes me want the LAS. The OT just really did not have a lot of scope when it comes to the nature of the Empire.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The big question is: How independent and/or ambitious were the moffs?

8. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    The architecture of the Jedi temple isn't that impressive to me. Now the inside of it is nice but the outside no

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I'm hoping 7, 8, and 9 give them the monies to make it. IIRC they were quoting 4-5 million an episode for the LA series.

That being said, I'm sure Palpatine was also all about the stripping away of liberties in the name of 'safety and security' (to misquote ROTS)...I doubt much of anything would have been allowed that could even possibly, no matter how implausibly, affect that.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Funny...

11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Before the PT, I would say very.

After the PT, it's hard to imagine the man behind Order 66 not having a rather arch, almost Bond villain-esque backup plan to deal with Moffs.

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, it's not like he never ordered the stormtroopers to execute a single large body of people before or anything.

However, that kind of very obvious threat (just look around the OT-stormtroopers are everywhere) doesn't breed loyalty or even really cow the sort of person who'd want to be a pocket Emperor to begin with. If anything it'd inflame their lust for power, because they're being denied it. And what happens when that centralized power is gone, and the playing field suddenly becomes a collection of (heavily armed and vicious) equals?

I'd say an Imperial Civil War is all but a foregone conclusion at that point; the Moffs would be fighting each other at least as much as they fought the newly empowered Rebellion.

LawJedi likes this.
  13. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    No, the ST is a blank that needs to be filled in. The original ending to the Saga (Ep. IX) was the destruction of the Death Star, the death of the Emperor and the end of the Empire. Lucas moved the Death Star destruction to Ep. 4 to give ANH a satisfying ending, and the death of the Emperor to ROTJ because in '82-'83 he wanted to be finished with SW. Now he has to pull something out of his ass.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock, if any at all, in the dialogue spoken by Vader, Tarkin and the other Imperials in ANH. Lucas hadn't ironed out all the details to his story at the time of ANH. Just look at the dynamic between Tarkin and Vader. They are pretty much equals and you could even say that Tarkin comes off as the superior one. Why? Because Lucas didn't know what direction he was heading in at that point in time. Vader and Anakin were 2 separate characters at that point, which is why Kenobi didn't tell Luke about his true parentage, and why Lucas had to come up with the flimsy (albeit kinda clever) "certain point of view."

"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

That line has always intrigued me, because Lucas clearly had something different in mind when that line was written. What did Ghost Obi do that was so powerful in the finished trilogy? The only thing he did that affected the plot in a meaningful way was to tell Luke to go to Dagobah. I wonder what Lucas originally had in mind.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    His voice guides Luke in ANH.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Immortality is sort of a big deal, per Palpatine (and Qui-Gon in a cut scene) in ROTS. :p

LawJedi likes this.
  16. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    gregvader123 you've got a point there, regarding Tarkin and Vader's dialogue. Contrast that with Moff Jerjerrod in ROTJ. Very different power dynamic.

17. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Ever read that early draft of ROTJ that has Jerjerrod in a bigger role?

Nutshell: Palps is starting to mistrust Vader because baby-boy is now in the picture, so Palps has Jerjerrod keep tabs. Jerjerrod is thinking he is gonna replace Vader or something and long story short--Vader does what he does best, and chokes a bitch.

Arawn_Fenn, Count Yubnub and LawJedi like this.
  18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, I'd just look at that as being Palpatine being fed up with his Moffs' inability in ANH to crush a 'pitiful little band' as he calls the Rebellion in ANH. I mean, really-Tarkin gets this:

[​IMG]

And the net result is...one Core world destroyed to apparently no avail and the weapon itself gets destroyed. The secular arm of the Empire has pretty clearly failed here, so Palpatine sends his go-to guy to deal with the problem and gives him all the power in the galaxy to accomplish it. And Vader very nearly wins the war in the second act; he scatters the Alliance and nearly captures its New Hope.

Edit: I'm quite glad Jerjerrod was diminished. His Tarkinesque stature doesn't make a lot of sense in regards to TESB.