main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation New movies should stand on their own strength.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Dec 2, 2012.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Please don't include a prophecy in this one like every single other modern franchise. It's becoming cliche. Or was it always cliche?

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    [face_plain] I think you might be using wit here. I'm almost sure of it.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    To me this the key. If these new movies can stand on their own, that is terrific. But I really want them to be the final trilogy in a trilogy of trilogies mostly because I want to see how this all plays out for Luke and the Skywalker legacy.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Hopefully the kids of today enjoy the Disney Trilogy. I am glad to see Disney reinventing the Star Wars brand for todays generation. Just hope Disney gives the kids the types of they want to see. Fast paaced action.

5. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    The first film should serve to catch us up on any material history between episodes VI and VII in a natural way. The following films should be mostly self contained.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    when we look at the block busters from the last 5 years, its seems the newer younger generation of movie fans want Star Wars to be like The Avegers, Batman Dark Knight & The Hobbit. Those films do really well for todays movie goer. The Disney Trilogy should stay in this lane & cater toward the 10-25yr old crowd, the things they would most enjoy should be in the Disney Trilogy so that they may have repeat viewers.

7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    If it's starting afresh, it should either have no episode number or have more than one trilogy. The idea of the Star Wars saga being 1-6 as one story and 7-9 as another is too lopsided.

8. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    People who have never ever seen a Star Wars movie, should be able to watch the Disney Trilogy & everything should make sense without having to view anything prior. That would make it a truly great trilogy.

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I don't see it that way & there is a certain age group & demographic Disney should aim for in 2015, some people just need to grow up & except the fact that things change. The things we loved as kids will be updated & modernized for the next set of kids. These kids don't need to rely on 1-6 to enjoy their Disney Trilogy. I don't think that is fair to them. I'm not that greedy.

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Who's being greedy? I'm just talking about symmetry. Why not have a 7-12 saga or just not have episode numbers?

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    what movies (besides star wars) had a prophecy in them because i'm having a hard time thinking of some.

12. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    So in order to make Star Wars successful, we just betray everything that Star Wars is about by making it just like these other films? We just ignore the last thirty years and cater entirely to children by adding heavy metal rock music like Metallica and AC/DC (your suggestion, not mine) in place of the man who created some of the best classical-style music of the last half-century (and who could compose circles around all those lesser musicians, by the way), or giving these films almost no connection in plot or character to the previous films? Is that how we get repeat viewers?

Sorry, but no.

First, you're making the assumption that the 10-25 year-old demographic doesn't like the way the other films were done, and there's no sign of it; you have gone on and on for weeks about how important it is to get those kids in the theater by catering specifically to them, but what makes you think they need all this defending on their behalf? Seriously, what makes you think that they don't like Star Wars as it has been done to date? And of those that do, what makes you think they're in the majority? The kids that don't like Star Wars won't come despite the changes you propose, and frankly, I don't want people at this party if they don't want to be there.

Second, the changes you're proposing are no improvement at all; you can't improve something by removing the things about it that are so basic that they cannot be removed without unraveling the whole tapestry. All things require a metaphorical "trimming of the fat" after a time to function properly in the here and now, that much is true, but I don't believe in fundamentally changing the nature of something to appeal to a demographic that, according to you, won't take something on its own merits anyway, not without having a big comical carrot dangled before them.

You may like The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Hobbit (which isn't even out yet, by the way!), and have very valid reasons to like them, because they are indeed good films. But those films succeeded by being true to the source material, not tossing it out in order to make mouth-breathers happy, and should we expect the people who liked these films to be happy when someone comes along and says that they now need to be done differently to work for another audience, when they worked perfectly well as is? No indeed.

In any case, to then say that Star Wars needs to be more like them to succeed is absurd on its face; and if you're suggesting that doing so is the only way to get these "kids" in the theater and make the films a success, I would rather see Star Wars films completely flop at the box office. That's what I think about this precious demographic of yours.

You can't improve Star Wars by making it not Star Wars. Period.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's why I was asking if it's cliche. I'm not exactly sure. I know the Harry Potter franchise has a prophecy. There are probably others that I cannot think of at the moment.

14. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Life of Brian.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hahaha such a classic movie. Maybe Life of Brian should be incorporated into the ST.
    "That wasn't the Chosen One, he was a very naughty boy."

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    You know when the phantom menace came out and the council mentioned the prophecy about one who would bring balance to the force and Qui-Gon thought Anakin might be it, I kept thinking for years during II and III that Luke was the real chosen one.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I agree that they should stand on their own. One of my big fears is that we have OT charachters pointlessly shoe-horned just so the audience can go ooh look thats Lando or look thats Leia. It was a big issue I had with the prequels with having Boba Fett and Chewbacca showing up.

TBH the only real charachter I could see showing up and not feeling like that would be Luke as the old wise Jedi Master otherwise if I dont care if I do not see Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford (who wanted to be killed off in RTJ anyway) I will not mind. It won't make me love the OT charachters any less.

18. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The ST standing on its own doesn't change the fact that 7-9 will be part of the same saga as the previous trilogies.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Have a "passing the torch" moment or something, but don't kill every single old character off.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is a good point...One thing to note about all of these film series is that there was incredible respect for continuity. The Avengers movies: Same actors, all the movies contained elements of eachother in them. The Dark Knight Trilogy: A great and direct continuation of one story, with all elements connecting/coming full circle in the end. And The Hobbit (released or not) is IMO from what I've found out, when put together with LOTR, the one movie series with the most faithful attention to continuity out of any!

This kind of attention to what people love about those series is exactly what I hope happens with these new SW movies. If so, they could be amazing to many, since just like those other movies, it would not be straying away from what fans LOVE about SW.

21. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Well Disney owns the brand now, I feel they have the right to cater to the youth of today, they are experts at that. Nothing can really water down the original 6 movies that GL produced. Hopefully the Disney Trilogy can take the brand to the next level. Its a lot more youth in the world than people my age & disney should cater to that mass.

22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea I know what you mean. Plus the disrespect toward all the PT cast. The PT never got the chance to become classics, the dust never settled on them. Disney doesn't really need to leach off of the myth GL created. The galaxy is such a big place.

23. Just 1 of Kyp's Dozen

Just 1 of Kyp's Dozen Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2012
    What are your guy's opinions on deviating from the books?
    I know, for myself, if they made completely new characters and totally strayed from the timeline already in place, I wouldn't even watch it. Part of the reason so many more "serious" fans enjoy it is because every book, movie, video game, etc is all part of a coherent time line that, for the most part, doesn't contradict itself. I wouldn't mind a new plot, as long as it didn't screw with the rest of the universe.