main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Just got the following:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by movieguy12, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Agreed. OF spoils so much of SQ if you read OF first.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    How do you carry all those books home?

3. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    Lol I'm 26 I gots a vehicle ;). Or I just charm all the ladies to carry my books? Lol just kidding :). But you should see my library I'm my house. I have 12 5 shelf book cases 6 are full of DVDs and double stacked the other 6 are all books and double stacked. I have thousands of each.

4. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    So I'm reading Darth Plagueis and while this is my first book I'm reading I'm very much loving it! So my standards are going to be pretty high when it comes to the other books!

5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Much more action in the others, Plagueis concentrates more on the political aspects...still a good read though!

6. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    It is very political and while I'm trying to understand most of it lol it's still very interesting. I love the manipulation and the history of the sith and back stories of specific SW characters. I love how it's setting up for the movies. It's def a good read! 130 pages left!

7. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I liked it too. Not without its flaws, but still one of my favorites.

8. mulberry

mulberry Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2009
    I see you have added Shatterpoint, and I must heartily encourage you to get it. I am just finishing it up and it is great.

9. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    I got it :)! I've read darth plagues and now I'm about to start I,jedi.

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Enjoy!

11. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    I have about 14 Star Wars books I need to read lol. But I like to have everything at once so I can have it ready when in ready instead of having to search for it when I'm done with one.

12. oscar8192

oscar8192 Jedi Padawan

Jun 19, 2011
    That's an impressive investment having not started reading them yet. With that said, I would say read them chronologicaly and try not to skip/avoid books/series because you've heard they're not great.

13. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok so this is what I own need to buy and curious about . Anything else?

Own:
    Darth bane trilogy
    Revan
    Darth plagueis
    Darth maul shadow hunter
    Outbound flight
    Force unleashed
    Yoda dark rendezvous
    Shatter point
    Labyrinth of evil
    Revenge of the sith
    The rise of darth Vader
    Death Star
    Luke skywalker and the shadows of mindor
    Shadows of the empire
    Thrawn trilogy (currently reading book 1)
    Fate of the jedi-outcast
    New jedi order-vector prime
    Legacy of the force-betrayal
    Vision of the future
    Specter of the past
    Survivors quest
    I,jedi
    Cloak of deception

Jedi quest #1
    The last of the jedi #1
    501st
    Order 66
    (Working on getting the republic commando books 1-3)

Need:
    Republic commando #1-3

Curious about: (are these worth reading or buying?)
    Rogue Planet
    The Approaching Storm
    The hive
    The Cestus deception
    Medstar I : battle surgeons
    MedStar II: Jedi Healer
    Jedi Trial
    Coruscant Nights series
    Riptide
    Scourge
    Knight errant
    Choices of one.
    The courtship of Princess Leia

14. oscar8192

oscar8192 Jedi Padawan

Jun 19, 2011
    All the books you're "curious about" you should read. Don't think it's wise to skip any of the novels in the timeline as some that others say are poor you could really enjoy. I've read everything on your list and I think you'll enjoy working your way through them.

15. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm at a flea market currently and this guy has a Star Wars booth needless to say I'm in heaven lol. He has soooooooo many books. I've decided to buy about 23 books (19 paperback-$2, 4 hardcover-$5). They are all in excellent condition. He has about 30 more books but they are not on my list so ill probably pass. :).

16. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    I know I shouldn't let other people's reviews persuade me on buying and reading books but I tend to go with general consensus. With that I've looked up on amazon the following and decided that their reviews are so mixed or so low on the positive side ill probably skip them :confused:.

1.the approaching storm
    2.the Cestus deception
    3.jedi trial
    4.Rogue planet

17. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Knight Errant is a must read. Excellent book. JJM did a great job with this. Kerra Holt is easily one of the best new characters in the EU over the last couple years. Definitely a different take on the Sith as we generally see them elsewhere, and I think it makes a lot of sense given the time period (about 1000 BBY).

I just finished Choices of One last night. It was okay. Not great. Not bad. If you want more Mara Jade, it's a no-brainer. Otherwise, it's a coin-flip, I think.

The Courtship of Princess Leia is one of my favorite Star Wars books. It's older (1995), so there are a lot of things that will jump out to you as being "wrong" since subsequent works (books, movies, comics, even games, and especially The Clone Wars TV series) have drastically overwritten much of what makes this book so great. I LOVE the concept of the Witches of Dathomir (and am very partial to the good witches, not the Nightsisters, which TCW took and ran with). It's a really fun story, I think. It shows how tough guy Han can get all flustered over the prospect of losing Leia and "do something rather rash." It takes about 100-ish pages to really ratchet up, but once it does, I think it's one of the most unique stories in the EU.

18. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    I just got knight errant for $2 at this flea market :). Looks brand new. I got about 14 new jedi order. 3 legacy of the force, 3 coruscant nights books, 2 medstar books.

I haven't really read anything until now with Mara in it. (Book one of thrawn) and she hasn't been in it so much yet. So idk if I like her but I've noticed she's a fan favorite so I may check out choices of one but it's not my top priority. I will probably buy scourge and riptide. And then I may buy the courtship of Princess Leia but I'm not sure yet. After those though I'm done lol. Unless I really like fate,legacy,and new jedi order series I have enough to last me a year of reading lol. And whatever I don't like ill just sell to a used book store or something. :).

19. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Make sure you get Crosscurrent and (if poss) read it before Riptide - it sets up that mini-arc.

20. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Did you read Betrayal yet? Honestly, I wouldn't. But if you're really series about getting into LOTF then I suppose you have to read it.

21. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    Oh I actually do own crosscurrent! Idk how or when I got it but I found it on my bookshelf just about 20 min ago lol. But thanks!!

22. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    I did buy betrayal I just haven't read it yet...

Someone mentioned I should read all my books in chronological order but unfortunately I already messed that up. It's a great idea but too late :confused:.

I've read darth plagueis (LOVED IT!) and now book 1 of thrawn trilogy I'm half way through book 1.

23. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    What order should I be reading the zahn books? Just curious if there is any spoilers if I mess up. Someone stated to read survivors quest before outbound flight so I got that.

24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Probably publication order:
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    Survivor's Quest
    Outbound Flight
    Allegiance
    Choices of One
    Scoundrels

Reading Outbound Flight before Survivor's Quest would spoil the latter's mystery plot, I guess. Otherwise I don't think chronological order would hurt anything:
    Outbound Flight
    Scoundrels
    Allegiance
    Choices of One
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    Survivor's Quest

25. djemsostylist

djemsostylist Jedi Knight

Mar 8, 2012
    Yeah, but like, Betrayal was halfway decent, but the rest of that series took a hard left turn into wtfville, and I couldn't even get through Vector Prime but like, I read most of the rest of the NJO no problem. The issue is, with different authors in each series--its hard to tell what you're in for