main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    The rotten tomatoes score of the film is really killing people on the IMDB boards. It is glorious to watch them whine and moan.

I am not writing the film off, but I knew I was right to be skeptical about splitting the film into two, then three.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think comparing it to the Phantom Menace is a little.... extreme. Which I've seen on several reviews now.

TPM's most cited failure was the characters antics, not the dragged-out scenery and exposition.

3. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    And see, a lot folks complained about basically the same thing regarding FOTR. I loved the slow buildup.

So seeing the basic complaints about the movie so far, are exactly the things that make me look forward to this movie even more.

But I guess these complaints are to be expected by people, where most nowadays have the attention span of gnats.

Arawn_Fenn and Random Comments like this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, a 2.5+ hour film has always pushed the acceptable time limits for most audiences. I probably won't agree with much of the criticism, but c'mon, these epic-length things used to have intermissions.

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    And used to not just be an episode in a larger story. They used to be the whole thing. You got the whole meal, not just a portion.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    RT only has 20 reviews in. I'd hardly say the score is definitive.

Random Comments likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Tomatometer is worthless anyway. A critic saying, "Eh, it was okay" gets a "positive" review so it pushes up the percentages of films that don't really deserve it. I like using it for the "consensus," though, and the first Hobbit film doesn't have one yet.

8. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm thinking more than likely it will end with them either with the Eagles or on the Carrock. Jackson ended both FOTR and TTT AFTER action sequences had already ended. I expect he'll do the same here. I think the beginning of the next film will be about them meeting Beorn, which is also a good time for a bit of recap because of Gandalf's story.

And I never have a problem with long movies. I like being in the worlds. RotK is my favorite of the three LotR films and I think all of the endings are justified (and, while I would have loved to see it, also agree with Jackson's reasoning for leaving out the Scouring of the Shire), so shaddup about the pacing.:p

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I got my tickets for the midnight showing! I can't wait only 10 more days to go!

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd have to agree. You can look at two scenarios and compare them just to see how ridiculous it could get.

Movie A: 75% give it an "eh, decent" and 25 give it a "total crap" and you'll have a 75% "CERTIFIED FRESH" going here.

Movie B: 50% can give a "REALLY GOOD" and 50% a "eh, almost good but not quite good" and you've got yourself a "ROTTEN" going there.

This is a flaw in the system.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it's a pretty silly system. Outside of films that are like 90+ 'fresh' or below 50 'rotten', it's kind of useless. Of course, with a lot of films in that range, there are wildly varying opinions and some things just come down to personal taste.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I highly doubt a comparison to TPM would be accurate. As noted, TPM didn't have a pacing problem so much as it had a 'horrible acting and childish antics' problem. I can actually see some of the latter happening in The Hobbit, because let's face it, Peter Jackson for some reason can't resist throwing in some 'funny' moments that just aren't. But all in all, it still has Martin Freeman as our hero, not Jake Lloyd. That's... a vast difference.

And yeah, it might have pacing issues. But considering I don't mind the pacing of FotR's beginning, I probably won't mind.

The thing is, I already have fairly middling expectations for these films. So those won't be terribly hard to meet. I hope that they're fun and enjoyable, and that's about it. I'm definitely not expecting anything like LotR's epic, heart-wrenching greatness, but that's not really the story.

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I should point out that Dan Jolin is a critic who gave Peter Jackson's King Kong 5 stars, so take his critique for what it's worth. :p

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I know, that's why I say "climax", not "end". :p

14. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I know, but on the whole EMPIRE's opinions chime with my own so I can take the occasional hit. :p

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Martin Freeman on tonight's episode of Colbert made me really happy :D Lovely as usual. And of course Colbert is a Sherlock fan. Of course. I think the most interesting thing I took away from this interview was that Colbert beat Philippa Boyens in a Tolkein geek-off. I mean, I guess there's a reason Peter Jackson called him the biggest Tolkein geek he's ever met. Excellent.

MrZAP and Random Comments like this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Lovely. [face_love] I really, really need to see this film. :p Only eight full days between now and the day I do.

18. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    And I have to wait!!!!! :(

But it's not that bad. And I found a theater and managed to get opening day tickets, anyway...

19. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Spare a thought for us Aussies who have to wait until Boxing Day at the earliest to see the film...

20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

This is what I get for seeing what the controversy over "negative reviews" is about. I can understand, and was somewhat anticipating, criticism of the length of the movie and the 48fps screenings. But the criticisms of the story and tone, especially the quoted example above, is astounding.

These clips are indeed quite delightful. :D I'm really looking forward to seeing the entire Riddles in the Dark scene, Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman seem to bounce off of each other rather well in that clip.

Arawn_Fenn and Random Comments like this.
  21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    He's comparing Tolkien to Ayn Rand. [face_plain]

What. [face_plain]

MrZAP likes this.
  22. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    It's too bad about these reviews and stuff. I was really looking forward to seeing it. Now I'll just skip it. I can't go through the same heartbreak that the SW prequels gave me.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah I don't really want to sit through another phantom again :/

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Apples and oranges, guys.

25. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You're blinded by your Peter Jackson erection, dude.
    This movie is a failure. Don't worry man, I was there. I'm ashamed of the way I defended TPM back in the day.