main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cloud City Cantina [Version 12.0]

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Except time travel doesn't invalidate the multiverse approach to Star Trek. While the 2009 movie's canon involves erasing what has gone before that's just a series of events that happens within one in an infinite number of parallel contiuums. That means that any other creative direction with the franchise can use a universe where Nero and Spock didn't eradicate what had gone before and would continue building off of the TV canon.

What I'm trying to say here is that while the Abrams canon is here to stay for now there will be plenty of chances to go back to formula at a later point.

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    But it becomes that much harder to do....unless the movie flops, at which point Trek will probably go away for a while, actually....

I think what I'm trying to say here is that it would have been better if the movie had established itself as a clear alternate universe that clearly doesn't affect the other one(s).....which it doesn't do. And the "destruction" of that universe, whether or nota it affects the TV Canon's ability to continue, didn't really help the plot....

3. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Which already happened with Nemesis, it tanked hard at the box office by only taking $4 million.

And it doesn't have to set itself apart as an alternate universe, that is something for a later date by the next reboot. Assuming it has to be done at all. That would have been extraneous detail in an action film that already has a lot going on with juggling old and new audiences. All the film had to do is explain why the face lift and why the alterations in details, which it does with the changed time line. This way of doing things also provides a refreshing change of pace by implying that this origins story can go in any direction it pleases. Because of it being an alternate time line anyone can die and remain killed off, even Kirk or Spock. Surprises can be made without actually effecting the canon. This creates a sense of tension that many prequels and origin stories lack. Hence why I also enjoy the air of secrecy around these films, if there is one thing Abrams is good at it's preventing spoilers reaching the wider public.

Star Trek isn't a perfect movie, not by a long shot. It has flaws and issues. But I don't think it damages anything.

4. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
  5. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Heya Rick! :)

I'm currently giving my room a clean out of unwanted stuff. Spontaneous desire to get rid of crap FTW!

6. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
  7. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    This move is going to leave my video game collection cut in half, but to be honest I don't play most of what I will be getting rid of. Mainly because it treats me like a derp. Or it's just plain boring.

8. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    yeah if you dont play them might as well get rid of em

9. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    well at least you're keeping busy

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Yep. :p According to my calculations I've got about £60 worth of crap I don't want any more.

11. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    well thats always good

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Indeed.

I just took a look at my games shelf and realised the majority of it was stuff I took chances on out of desperation to stave away boredom like I would stave off a a snarling, hungry lion armed with just a pointy stick.:oops:

13. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    ah, normally i wait to see if things are any good before getting them. So my game shelf is all stuff i've enjoyed only a few games i'd not play again

14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Of all the games in the last few months I can think of that made me really enthusiastic I can only think of 2. Halo 4 and Xcom, and Halo 4 is only because I happen to really enjoy playing it over the internet with friends and has nice art design. The rest has just been varying piles of "meh".

15. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    ah, I've not played a new game since around September and even then it was an older game Dead Space, but ive been doing allot of Battlefield Multiplayer which is enjoyable. ALlot of skyrim right now due to the new DLC

16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I ended up trading Battlefield 3 in. The multiplayer was fun at first, especially when all my friends were playing it. But when the unlocks stopped and my friends stopped playing it the game just sort of lost its appeal, which is sort of the bane of multiplayer heavy games, they're only as strong as your interest for the online community surrounding them.

Dead Space was a great game. Lots of atmosphere, neat design work (By neat read delightfully grotesque) and some imaginative ideas. Just a pity the game's horror element is undermined by some really bizare design choices.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  17. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    I really enjoy Battlefield 3 really, i only play maybe twice a week or so so its always fresh and a fun way to play. My brother bought a few new map packs so thats always fun

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It was definitely a very enjoyable game. But I just couldn't drum up enthusiasm for the map packs. Perhaps that was down to the fact the first one was a set of close quarters maps, thus ignoring the one thing Battlefield 3 excels at, large scale vehicular warfare. It's the most bizarre DLC I've seen since Fallout 3 decided to go "Screw exploration, make a strictly linear mission pack in the same vein as Call of Duty using our sub-par graphics engine designed to render huge environments and put a focus on our underwhelming combat mechanic." It just ignores the appeal of the core game.

19. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    yeah close quarters was not as good but the other ones are pretty awesome Armored kill and the lot they are very fun to play. But anyways i have to be off to class now

20. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    NEW AVATAR PEOPLE!:D

DarthRelaxus and Admiral_Volshe like this.
  21. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Huh? What? Already?

Oh, you mean your icon, not a sequel to the hated (by me) Avatar.....

23. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Avatar 2: Board Members Are Changing Their Icons. Coming to a CCC near you.

Random Comments how come you dislike Avatar? Don't get me wrong I personally think its overrated. I'm just curious that's all.

24. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't really like it either.
    Only made it about a third of the way in, and that was at Best Buy, while my parents were browsing. :p

Coolest thing about it was the 3D jellyfish.

[face_laugh]

Again with the film titles. :p

25. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Another cool thing about it was that it was similar to Pocahontas, but with blue humanoid cat-like, horse-like, I-dunno-like aliens set in the randomly not too distant but distant future. /sarcasm.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.