main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cloud City Cantina [Version 12.0]

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I never directly said that Avatar is similar to the Disney version of Pocahontas. I never flat out stated that the Disney film is original either. Most if not all of the traditional animated Disney films are not original because well they are already based on something and as you mentioned toned down from the things they are based on. And yes Avatar did a better job at showing the suffering that a race can ensue at the hands of another race than the Disney film ever did. I am not a fan of the environment message in the film, and not because of the message itself, but of how it was expressed.

Now, that does not mean Avatar is original of course nor does it mean that it's similarities are to the Disney version of Pocahontas. I admit I should have been more specific and just said it was similar to Pocahontas in general. What I meant by the comparison was that Avatar is not original. Avatar is a creative film, no doubt about that, but it is not original. However, Disney's Pocahontas (and most of their other films) are not original either. In fact the Disney films are less original for obvious reasons. Neither of mentioned films are original. But I will certainly say that Avatar is more creative than Disney's Pocahontas for reasons already mentioned. Now, coming up with an original idea is borderline impossible nowadays so I am not criticizing Avatar for not being original. And you're right about how it's better to base a story on a real time period than to rewrite something historical in order to appeal to Disney's young target audience. And furthermore I am not the only one who has compared Avatar to Pocahontas, Disney or otherwise.

I don't dislike Avatar. I mentioned that I think its overrated but I certainly do not dislike it. I like making fun of it, yet, believe it or not I make fun of stuff I like too. :p I guess you could say I am neutral on it.

You're definitely right about Disney's Pocahontas being nothing more than a "tepid piece of historical revisionism." So don't get the wrong idea and think that I think that Disney's Pocahontas is an original film because I certainly don't think that it is an original film.

2. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    hmmm MadHatter?

3. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    hmm, that it's dead

4. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    what is? Millionaire?

5. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
  6. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Oh... lol

yeah, has a bit...

7. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    so, revive it

8. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Hmm...

How do I do that?

9. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    *smacks the thread with a cricket bat*

BAM.

Now it should stay alive for a while. :p

Random Comments and Daft-Vader like this.
  10. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    nevermind AV did it :p

11. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Excellent :D

Hey Volshe :)

Thanks for reviving the thread for us

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Don't panic, I wasn't accusing you of supporting how Disney brushed all the humanitarian crimes committed against the native Americans under the carpet. :p I was just expressing my displeasure for Pocahontas as a movie, a film that ended a supreme run of great animated blockbusters, that some like to call the second golden age of Disney, and started an age of Disney movies of varying degrees of "meh" punctuated by a complete saturation of straight to DVD movies seemingly designed to burn everybody's collective childhood into a cinder just to make a quick buck while their new properties were struggling to find an audience.

I also find myself defending Avatar when people start on it for it's message. It may have been hamfisted and poorly written, and ends up using every cliche in a book that was worn down to the spine during the 90's. But its heart is in the right place and I wish more multi-million dollar films would at least attempt to do more than sell a new play set with accompanying action figures.

TL;DR ~ Avatar is crap, but at least it tried to do and say something and didn't take a dump on history.

13. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    never seen Avatar

it spawned "everything must be 3D!!"

SO BUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRN IT :p

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  14. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    Urgh Avatar... hate that movie

15. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Chewgumma. Ah okay. I got ya. You're right about how Avatar certainly tried to get its message across and did not rely solely on selling action figures. However, there are people out there who think that Avatar is original simply because it is a creative film with good visuals. These people don't seem to understand that originality and creativity are obviously not the same. Avatar is creative but not original while Disney's Pocahontas is neither creative nor original. :p

16. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Hey Rev

Hey Ken

17. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    no it relied on 3D

18. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    It just relied on the pretty pictures

Random Comments likes this.
  19. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    You're welcome. :)

I stand by my point that the jellyfish were the best part. :p

20. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    Rev: well I haven't seen it,

what i do know it wasn't promoted for good value story with a message but with "ground breaking technology"

21. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    I just think it was a film that looked pretty but fell flat on its face for everything else, and i never understood why so many people love the film

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  22. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    well it never appealed to me I must say

23. Darthrevan4ever

May 3, 2008
    It didnt appeal to me either i just watched it with fam when it was on DVD

24. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Me either.

*picks up the bat again*
    :p

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Except not that many people love the film and never did. Avatar had plenty of hype behind it, and it had critical backing for sure. But I don't recall the public being that impressed.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.