main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I wanna see Lincoln. I tried during Thanksgiving break, but it was sold out when I got to the theatre. Shoulda pre-booked.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    What should I get for lunch today? Hmmm...

3. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Moes. :D

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Expensive, bro. x.x;

5. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I have lots of friends that love Moes, which means I usually eat there for free. :D
    Subway isn't really expensive. And there's always this. :p (I practically live off that stuff [face_plain])

Seerow likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ugh, cannot stand Ramen noodles. If I'm gonna have a micro meal, I'd prefer Stoufer's. A little more expensive, but completely worth it.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  7. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    After a few years of only eating Ramen noodles, I'd rather eat dog poop. (Well, maybe not, but still...)

Seerow likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I lived off Velveeta shells and cheese and Ramen noodles in college; I'd go hungry before I'd eat them now.

Dark Lord Tarkas: I saw Lincoln and I'll be buying the Blu-Ray as soon as it comes out. Daniel Day-Lewis is Lincoln as I always imagined him, and I'm a bit of a history buff myself. And the film was outstanding.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Seerow like this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Anything that comes in a 'Smartones' box for that. Ended up with Del Taco. <<;

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Welcome to Moe's!! Del Taco.

SenatorKelberry and Seerow like this.
  11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its good! And cheap... I'm broke. ;.;

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    That would be Daniel Day Lewis. The man is probably the most insane method actor in film today. He was also in There Will Be Blood, and the awesome Last of the Mohicans. Fun fact about the last one, Lewis lived in a homemade tent during the entire filming, learned how to load a musket while running (Muskets can take up to thirty seconds to load standing still in the hands of a professional), and sewed his own costume out.

QuangoFett likes this.
  13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Wow, that's pretty intense.

14. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    It's not coming out over here until late January, unfortunately. We should have got it around the same time as North America, considering the UK was essentially the third faction of the American Civil War. :p

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    How was the vampire version?;)

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually want to see that one and have not yet.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Looper was a pretty great movie, but feel bad movie of the year.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The UK freed its slaves in 1831. I would have loved to have seen some reference to that fact in the film, but it's overlooked by most American history books.

19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    American history books overlook a lot. Lincoln wasn't particularly keen on the idea of emancipation initially. Most books gloss over that too, only focus on the positive details that reinforce the idea of him as some kind of saintly hero and not as a human being who was not immune to popular attitudes of the era.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In the movie I saw quite a bit of "I will make it legal" on Lincoln's part, which is essentially what I have read (as an adult) in books about him but never learned about him in history classes in high school. And as far as I can tell, Lincoln wasn't in love with slavery either but he would have been willing to leave it alone if he had not seen the opportunity to use emancipation as a political tool.

It is good, in a twisted sort of way, to know that bat**** crazy corrupt politicians are far from being a modern phenomenon.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've not seen Lincoln, so I can't comment on how they depict him in that film, I'm just remarking about how the American education system seems to (in my experience anyway) glorify certain individuals in an almost flawless light. It was only as an undergrad in college that I finally got into history classes that weren't so biased and that you can learn things about Gandhi, Lincoln, Mandela, etc. that really reveal them to be flawed, while all through K-12 these kinds of people are only painted in a flawless light. And the South isn't so villified in the Civil War and the North is treated as the saintly liberators.

And things like how the Haitian Revolution lead to emancipation before the U.S. and was the second successful attempt of a Western state to overthrow the authority of a colonial European power and achieve independence, and yet the United States did what it could to discredit Haiti and condemn the Haitian Revolution out of fear of it inspiring slave revolts in the US as well. That's the kind of thing that they didn't teach me in high school.

22. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    There are Heroes on Both Sides! Evil is Everywhere!

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

History is written by the victors.

I wonder if anyone has tried teaching history to kids through that lens. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Well... I grew up in a place where the Rebel Flag flew across the street and where civil war reenactments took place and usually looked something like the South Park episode about Civil War reenactments (I dunno if its appropriate to type the title of that episode) which tended to portray the South more favorably... so.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, with SP it's best to assume anything from that show is inappropriate. (good episode though, that Civil War one)

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's one of my favorite episodes actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.